By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Labo is a huge ripoff and a waste of a great concept (so far)

PortisheadBiscuit said:
DonFerrari said:

Sure sure their product is the most valuable in history... the fact some or several people pay a price on something doesn't make it unaceptable for others to think it is a rip-off.

The funny thing is Nintendo games are much cheaper in 2018 than they were in the 90s. Try $74.99 for DKC and Street Fighter II Turbo back in the day. With adjusted inflation thats over $100, those games were nothing content wise compared to Odyssey and BOTW (both of which HAVE been discounted this year at retail). Yet everyone is insatiable these days...

That's a ridiculously unfair comparison. The industry was nothing like it is today back in the early 90's. Gaming as we know it was still in its infancy back then, and as such the R&D that went into games like those made them cost a ton to make back then. And the audience was more limited and less of a surefire thing. Some of those franchises were still being established, they couldn't just sell on name alone. Especially in the case of the two you mentioned where they were third party efforts. So they had to charge more to make a profit. 

Around the Network
HyrulianScrolls said:
PortisheadBiscuit said:

The funny thing is Nintendo games are much cheaper in 2018 than they were in the 90s. Try $74.99 for DKC and Street Fighter II Turbo back in the day. With adjusted inflation thats over $100, those games were nothing content wise compared to Odyssey and BOTW (both of which HAVE been discounted this year at retail). Yet everyone is insatiable these days...

That's a ridiculously unfair comparison. The industry was nothing like it is today back in the early 90's. Gaming as we know it was still in its infancy back then, and as such the R&D that went into games like those made them cost a ton to make back then. And the audience was more limited and less of a surefire thing. Some of those franchises were still being established, they couldn't just sell on name alone. Especially in the case of the two you mentioned where they were third party efforts. So they had to charge more to make a profit. 

Game development costs are ridiculously high in 2018, $100 million for BOTW??!? You can't tell me they spent that for Link to the Past, a game you can complete in a matter of days, whereas BOTW takes MONTHS if you 100% it and have a life. The amount of content games have these days while being relatively cheaper to customers is a valid point. 

Gamers for the most part are just extremely hard to please in 2018, they want X,Y, and Z and want it for $3 or they're unhappy. Kind of nauseating to read so much bellyaching in the community constantly. 

PortisheadBiscuit said:
HyrulianScrolls said:

Game development costs are ridiculously high in 2018, $100 million for BOTW??!? You can't tell me they spent that for Link to the Past, a game you can complete in a matter of days, whereas BOTW takes MONTHS if you 100% it and have a life. The amount of content games have these days while being relatively cheaper to customers is a valid point. 

Gamers for the most part are just extremely hard to please in 2018, they want X,Y, and Z and want it for $3 or they're unhappy. Kind of nauseating to read so much bellyaching in the community constantly. 

Who's complaining about new AAA games costing $60? I for one am complaining about 5 year old ports and eshop lite software with cardboard costing $60-80. That's a big difference. 

HyrulianScrolls said:
Kerotan said:

Sony had no mans sky, 

Microsoft Sea of thieves, 

Now Nintendo has labo. 

All 3 way too expensive. 

Again, and this makes it acceptable because.....

???

I guess I expected more from Nintendo, since quite frankly they rarely let me down. 

It doesn't make it acceptable. I'm just pointing out they aren't the only ones 

HyrulianScrolls said:
vivster said:
Using the term "ripoff" says a lot more about the people who use that word, than the product they're referring to.

Ripoffs do not exist. There is only unrealistic expectations and fraud.

Lol, what a joke. I'd put money on the line that Nintendo is charging at least 3x more than they need to to make a healthy profit on Labo. Sure, the vast majority of products out there are marked up significantly from their worth, that's business, but not to the extent of something like Labo. And consumers are going to respond to it being way overpriced by simply not buying it. So you can keep your "unrealistic expectations" nonsense, believe me not all products are priced correctly and that has nothing to do with expectations. 

Products are priced what they're worth. Worth is determined by the individual and is not objective. Success is then determined if enough people share the same feeling of worth of the product. If not, the price gets adjusted or the product fails. Labo seems to sell decently, which means the price is worth it for enough people.

Some products have higher profit margins and especially for Nintendo these are usually comparably higher than with any other game publisher. It's not nice what they are doing and then again it's not their obligation to be nice. They're assholes about their products because people like you and me who cannot keep their hype in check and are fueling their greed. So in a way, we are the people who rip off everyone else by enabling Nintendo's assholery.

Nintendo being a terrible company does not mean you are free to push your own faults and responsibility on them. You bought Labo, you gave them the money of your own free will, you are part of the problem.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Around the Network
KLXVER said:
HyrulianScrolls said:

Glad you mentioned that, because it brings me to my next concern that Nintendo in general seems to really be falling off the bandwagon at rapid speed this year after everything they did so right and all the good will built in 2017. The Tropical Freeze pricing is ridiculous, especially since it's a matter of Nintendo knowing that they can charge more money for a 5 year old port than it originally retailed for and people will still buy it because there's simply nothing else out for Switch right now. Taking it off of Wii U's eShop also didn't sit right with me. They really have to have an incredible second half of the year up their sleeves or I'm concerned they could undo a lot of the amazing goodwill they built in 2017 very quickly. Them getting lazy and greedy is a surefire way to failure. 

True. That's my fears as well. There really are 2 kinds of Nintendo fans.

The ones that just want Nintendo to win. Be it BOTW or Labo. Mario Odyssey or 1 2 Switch. Doesn't matter. As long as Nintendo makes money, they are happy. Because their "team" is winning.

and the ones that want Nintendo to earn their "win". To focus on what has worked for them since the NES. To grow as a company for gamers of all kinds. Both casual and hardcore. But not non gamers. 

There's only one type of Nintendo fans: the ones that likes some of the games they do.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

Make it 5 to 10 dollars , it will sell better then 80 and 70 USD price

vivster said:

Products are priced what they're worth. Worth is determined by the individual

Then products would not have the same, fixed price for every customer/individual, but individual prices for each customer.

In reality, prices are determined by what the company believes will create the biggest profit.

PortisheadBiscuit said:
DonFerrari said:

Sure sure their product is the most valuable in history... the fact some or several people pay a price on something doesn't make it unaceptable for others to think it is a rip-off.

And Nintendo games are more expensive than their competitors, your point? This just go to the other thread where I said there is a lot of Nintendo fans that defends their bad practices of keeping 4y old titles at 60USD as something good to keep the value of the game instead of be like other customers that prefer pricecuts for the older product so more people can buy more games. Funny enough is possible that at the same time they will be complaining about a console from the competition releasing for 500.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

KLXVER said:
zorg1000 said:

Alright, ill give you that but my point remains the same. Releasing a few experimental, casual titles does not prevent the hardcore/traditional software that AlfredoTurkey holds so dear from releasing.

Casual games like 1 2 Switch & Labo are not holding Nintendo back from releasing games like Zelda, Super Mario, Fire Emblem, Metroid, Smash Bros, Pokemon, Xenoblade, etc. Or from courting 3rd parties to bring over games like Skyrim, Doom, Dark Souls, Wofenstein, Dragon Quest, etc.

The same goes for previous consoles. Things like Singstar, PS Eye, PS Move, Guitar Hero/Rock Band & Kinect did not stop Sony, Microsoft & 3rd parties from releasing games like Halo, Gears, Forza, Uncharted, God of War, Last of Us, GTA, Fallout, Bioshock, Call of Duty, Assassins Creed, etc.

Wanting these types of games to fail so that developers can focus on "real" games is a nonsense argument.

If Nintendo had the third party support of PlayStation and Xbox, then we wouldn't have this discussion. Labo would just be a silly little thing for kids. Its just that Nintendo doesn't have that support and Labo is their big game for Q2 along with Mario Tennis.

I don't see Labo as a great addition to a growing diverse library of games on the Switch. I see it as a reason for gamers who might be interested in Nintendo consoles to point at and say "Yeah, theres a good reason as to why I avoid Nintendo consoles. Its just not for me. Its for kids."

Like Wii Sports was insanely popular for a bit. It drew in soccer moms and grandparents, but that was all it did. Maybe a few of them picked up Mario Kart and NSMBWii as well, but that's just it. It doesn't help anyone in the long run. Grandma is not going "That was a fun game of bowling, dear. Now lets tear up some ass in Doom!"

These kinda games doesn't draw in as many people as they put off I believe.

You know what I find off-putting and don't understand how it can be taken seriously?  The sex-toy shaped controllers that Sony introduced to PS3, and then made a required part of PS4 VR.  The most polite comparison I could make would be to call it a Brookstone Massage Wand (which is still essentially a sex toy).