By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Rumoured - Perfect Dark/Joanna Dark

Would you buy a Tomb Raider styled Perfect Dark game?

YES! 9 75.00%

No. 3 25.00%

Total:12

This is more for those who have played Perfect Dark and especially on the N64. Clearly PD64 was a masterpiece and arguably one of the games of the generation. It sits on a 97 meta and basically continued the FPS train for consoles before Halo did. One of my all time favourite games ever made due to its complex design and stealth and it masters everything with the only fault being the N64 hardware which is saying something since that was the most powerful system at the time even compared to the most powerful PCs. 

Now with the rumours of Joanna Dark that will be a TPS game, I actually like the direction of going TPS and if they can turn Perfect Dark into a Splinter Cell/MGS mixed with Tomb Raider than my hype will be though the roof. PD has so much potential and I am hoping they make this PD game a serious and dark story based off the N64 game and straying away from Zero. 

As a fan of the series, this is a dream game if they can nail it.

Last edited by Azzanation - on 28 April 2018

Around the Network

This is good. Bring it!

I’m interested either way. We have enough shooters though, so an adventure game like Tomb Raider would be cool.

John2290 said:
No. Give us a pure reboot in the same way doom did it. Then I'd be interested.

A Reboot would be great, I can definitely see that having great potential, however to be honest, PD64 was that good I don't really see the point in Rebooting it aside from making it look better. Maybe offer us a true sequel to the N64 game, Perfect Dark 2.

Ka-pi96 said:
If it's true I expect to be massively disappointed. The reason I enjoyed the original Perfect Dark wasn't the story or anything it was the multiplayer modes with bots, something that all devs seemingly ignore completely these days and I expect Microsoft will be no different in that regard. So whatever they do with it I doubt it will even remotely resemble the Perfect Dark that I loved on the N64

Fair point, we all want another PD64 game, however lets look at the reality of the modern generation. MS already have 1 of the best sci-fi shooters on the market in Halo and bots and multiplayer modes can quite possible be added in the next Halo games. Having two Sci-Fi shooters competing over the same thing to me is a little pointless. Halo can focus on those things you mention where I see PD has a lot more potential in becoming something a lot more greater than just another MP game. I can see a true epic story in its already fantastic sci-fi world. Could quite possible become the next TR/MGS game on the market something MS can house as there very old. 

I'd prefer it to be the Splinter Cell of Xbox although I wouldn't mind this rumored route.

Around the Network

I don't see what good it would do to turn Perfect Dark into a TPS. Just...make a damn Perfect Dark game.

If they really want a 3rd person game I'd much rather see them resurrect Jet Force Gemini.

Sounds like a good direction to take it.

Yes if it will be a good game, then definitely yes.

forest-spirit said:
I don't see what good it would do to turn Perfect Dark into a TPS. Just...make a damn Perfect Dark game.

If they really want a 3rd person game I'd much rather see them resurrect Jet Force Gemini.

Like I mentioned before in my other reply, Perfect Dark has to fit into the modern generation of FPS games.. It will be extremely hard to get back into the market that is steam lined CoD and Battlefield. PD is more than a linear action FPS, the N64 game was pushing a bunch of genres mixed together which worked really well for PD at the time. I also don't think it will fit well in the MS library since they already house another Sci-fi Shooter in Halo and there are rumours of 2 new Halo Games around the corner in Halo Genesis and Halo 6. What MS don't have is a TPS Adventure game of there own.

In my opinion, PD needs to offer something different and unique that not many games offer. With the change of direction of MGS with Survive and TR being a trend setter of the modern action adventure games, PD has the potential to offer a Sci-Fi Tomb Raider experience. Just imagine playing a Tomb Raider style game with Aliens, Hover Cars and Futuristic weapons? If there's any character that can pull off a Lara Croft is Joanna Dark.  

Last edited by Azzanation - on 29 April 2018

I was just talking about PD64 the other day. At my place we played a TON of Golden Eye and PD64 was everything it was and more. I remember being blown away when I figured out how you could order the bots to do different things. Oddly though PD64 didn't get as much play time as GE64 had. Not sure if that was due to the playstation being the new thing or the groups I was hanging out with at those two times.

If they did PD well and perhaps gave me a new Conkers I would very seriously consider purchasing a M$ console again.

Edit: I just watched the Live trailer posted in the OP and talk about having some synapses fire that haven't been active in 20 some odd years ... now you're playing with Nostalgia Power.  I don't mean to derail but can't help thinking if Rare hadn't fallen apart and Nintendo had kept them within the fold what things might look like today.

Last edited by The_Yoda - on 29 April 2018