By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii winning the "exclusivity war"

Saw the following which might prove interesting, haven't seen it posted before -  

Nintendo platforms have often, whether rightly or wrongly, been criticized for hosting very little besides first-party software. If the latest numbers from a Next Generation analysis are any indication, though, that's really not a bad thing—at least from a business perspective.

Analyzing what has been dubbed the "exclusivity war," Next Gen's Matt Matthews has compiled data demonstrating that Nintendo is winning the battle of the exclusives. Based on data compiled from the launch of the Wii and the PlayStation 3 through to the end of 2007 of the 100 best-selling games, the Wii boasted 12 exclusive games, the PS3 five, and the Xbox 360 three.

Sales of exclusive software, which include the likes of Super Mario Galaxy, Uncharted, and Halo 3, reached $18.8 million for the Wii, $11.5 million for the Xbox 360, and $3.5 million for the PS3. Of the 100 top-selling games in the time period, Nintendo laid claim to 27 titles across both the Wii and the DS, while Sony and Microsoft were eclipsed with a mere nine and three, respectively.

There's little question that Nintendo has some strong, brand-built aces up its sleeve. While Microsoft managed to get great mileage out of its few exclusives, and Sony had perhaps the most diverse line-up of marquee software, Nintendo stands nearly unrivaled in the exclusive space. And as much as some may argue that the more mature, fully-featured titles hit other consoles, Nintendo sales remain largely unaffected. The masses have spoken.

LINK - http://arstechnica.com/journals/thumbs.ars/2008/04/11/analysis-wii-winning-the-exclusivity-war

I am largely platform agnostic. I fail to understand why some people get overly fanboyish about what is an inanimate piece of electronics that's obsolete even before it's launched, when there are far more important things to champion, such as preventing environmental destruction or preventing millions of people dying unnecessarily from illnesses. This fact however, doesn’t mean I am not someone who doesn’t enjoy gaming as a pastime (as I have done for the last 20 years) or doesn’t have a strong interest in how the market is evolving – hence my presence on this site.

Platforms owned – PC, DS, X-Box 360, PS3, PSP and Wii.

Around the Network

Only comment I can think to make - or rather question I feel the need to ask - is how many of the Wii exclusives are first party titles - i.e. Nintendo titles. I guess it'd be more news worthy if they were 3rd party exclusives.

Shame the site doesn't list what the exclusives actually are for each platform.

I am largely platform agnostic. I fail to understand why some people get overly fanboyish about what is an inanimate piece of electronics that's obsolete even before it's launched, when there are far more important things to champion, such as preventing environmental destruction or preventing millions of people dying unnecessarily from illnesses. This fact however, doesn’t mean I am not someone who doesn’t enjoy gaming as a pastime (as I have done for the last 20 years) or doesn’t have a strong interest in how the market is evolving – hence my presence on this site.

Platforms owned – PC, DS, X-Box 360, PS3, PSP and Wii.

There's a fair number of 3rd party exclusives on the horizon, if only because the Wii tends toward playstyles that aren't compatible with other consoles. I don't think 3rd party vs 1st matters in this context, though. Exclusives are for drawing consumers to your platform, and I don't think they care who made the game as long as it's awesome.

A comparison of exclusives can be a little misleading, too, since there are many titles which come to both PS3 and 360 but not Wii, while you'd be hard pressed to find a title that's on PS3 and Wii, but not 360, for example.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

I m pretty sure many games will be released on the Wii, I mean exclusive on the Wii (about 40M userbase at the end of 2008!!) but this study shows NOTHING.

Time to Work !

Given most games are 360/PS3 or wii that makes sense. But as far as quality Wii is dead last and things aren't changing.

Around the Network
RedArmia said:
Given most games are 360/PS3 or wii that makes sense. But as far as quality Wii is dead last and things aren't changing.

Super Mario Galaxy, the highest rated game of the millennium, would like to have a word with you, monsieur troll.

RedArmia said:

Actually, that's an opinion. You're basing that off cherrypicked gamerankings numerical > 80 percent data, right?

What if I pulled the >90 percent exclusive games, I wonder how the consoles would stack up?

As far as top games, honestly, the Wii certainly has more buy-worthy games than my PS3.

As far as exclusives, which are all important to library quality, then the Wii is far and away ahead.

So, in a contest of PS3 vs Wii, how can the Wii be "dead last in quality" yet still have a superior library to the PS3? ...but then again, that's just my opinion. Do you disagree with it?

In fact, since this is really about opinion, how can you be sure that "...and things aren't changing" is even possible.

How bout this. You are probably a fanboy, and your post is damage control against yet another pro-Wii article. We're not writing these articles, we're just reporting them. Where are your weekly articles about how great the PS3 library is?

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

Sounds about right, considering most games are either 360/PS3 or Wii and maybe Wii/PS2.

well, between Nintendo shitting out their usual first party games (and spin offs) every year, and all the shovelware from 3rd parties trying to get a taste of the Wii's success....I'd say that, yeah, the Wii is winning the "exclusivity war", but if you look at it in context, it doesn't really mean much.........

BMaker11 said:
well, between Nintendo shitting out their usual first party games (and spin offs) every year, and all the shovelware from 3rd parties trying to get a taste of the Wii's success....I'd say that, yeah, the Wii is winning the "exclusivity war", but if you look at it in context, it doesn't really mean much.........

Actually, since this article deals with the top 100 sellers, as well as revenue made off exclusive games, exclusivity does mean a little something.

RTFA. 

It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.

NO NO, NO NO NO.