By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Quarterly Results, Hardware + Software

Nuvendil said:
JRPGfan said:

Its shipped, and 1,29m on shelves is possible..... so no its not undertracked at all.

Actually 1.29m seems pretty high for this particular period.  So yes, I would say it is undertracked, just not to the level people think.

No it's doesn't. We've always gone with ~1M-1.5M when considering what's out in the open compared to shipment numbers, which when companies give out shipped and sold, it seems to hold up. Only two times that would be incorrect. One is a shortage, which the Switch is definitely not having. And the other is the end of the holidays, at which point its usually 2.5M-3.5M.

Around the Network
Miyamotoo said:
Jranation said:

Holy Jesus! Nintendo can take their time for MK9 because this baby is still selling!!!! 

Exatly, talking about potential Mario Kart 9, with so great sales of MK8D Nintendo will not be in hurry to release MK9 on Switch, but would be great to see Diddy Kong Racing 2 in any case. :)

It hasn't suprassed Mario kart 64 sales yet! ( 9.87m )

The pretentious luminary z huge doesn't know the exact MK64 sales wow, someone  to consult him to check before he writes something.

Last edited by tak13 - on 26 April 2018

BlackBeauty said:
thismeintiel said:
So, it's dropped ~2.1M below the PS4, launches aligned. Personally, I never saw it hitting PS4 numbers, anyway. That's not to say it will do poorly. 3DS numbers, and probably a little beyond, should be doable (~75M-85M.) Year 3-4 are going to be the telling years. Will legs hold out. Or will it start to drop like the Wii.

It will blow past the PS4 in November.

PS4 had two holidays tracked.

Nope. PS4 had only two months tracked then. Nov was launch month. And Dec it was heavily supply constrained. It did what the Switch did at launch, sell as many as Sony could manufacture. It really only had one holiday, just like the Switch. 

Nautilus said:
Mbolibombo said:

Let's not forget that the more than 1M figure is for both the Switch and 3DS.

Even then, I'd say it's better than expected.

Still, that game was not fairing well on the charts.I am really surprised.

What's also interesting is that it appears to be outperforming Dynasty Warriors 9, which has sold about 730K, according to Koei Tecmo.

thismeintiel said:
BlackBeauty said:

It will blow past the PS4 in November.

PS4 had two holidays tracked.

Nope. PS4 had only two months tracked then. Nov was launch month. And Dec it was heavily supply constrained. It did what the Switch did at launch, sell as many as Sony could manufacture. It really only had one holiday, just like the Switch. 

That’s not how consumers buying trends work.

Games like music/albums launched during the holiday will get a boost due to holiday spending (there’s no such thing as launch month). PS4 launch was affected by the holiday rush. Also one of the main reasons why most products launch during the holiday to take advantage of this rush. This isn’t unique to gaming hardware. 

PS4 wouldn’t have sold as it did without launching in November. 

Had the switch launched during the holiday it would’ve sold even more than it did in March. 

Around the Network
Nuvendil said:
JRPGfan said:

Its shipped, and 1,29m on shelves is possible..... so no its not undertracked at all.

Actually 1.29m seems pretty high for this particular period.  So yes, I would say it is undertracked, just not to the level people think.

No, 1.29m is not high regardless of time of year.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Kai_Mao said:
Nautilus said:

Still, that game was not fairing well on the charts.I am really surprised.

What's also interesting is that it appears to be outperforming Dynasty Warriors 9, which has sold about 730K, according to Koei Tecmo.

Well, thats just sad for DW.I mean, that series was supposed to be Koei flagship series.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

Nuvendil said:
JRPGfan said:

What? haha

it seems about normal, it should even be  somewhat more and be 2m+ before/after holidays.

I'm bored to analyze it, one thing, there are 380k ns units  on the shelves in Japan when in the previous quarter it had 100k and sold that  in the FW of Jan, not supply constraint anymore.

Imagine how much stock it has in Americas and others/Europe where supply issues had been fixed by the end of 2017.

Last edited by tak13 - on 26 April 2018

Great numbers all around. That fourth third party million seller for Switch is probably Fifa 18. It got a big discount physically and on eShop last qaurter and it probably was what pushed above 1 million, but Skyrim is probably not far behind. I think we might hear about it passing 1 million too by next report.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 1286-0025-9138

BlackBeauty said:
thismeintiel said:

That’s not how consumers buying trends work.

Games like music/albums launched during the holiday will get a boost due to holiday spending (there’s no such thing as launch month). PS4 launch was affected by the holiday rush. Also one of the main reasons why most products launch during the holiday to take advantage of this rush. This isn’t unique to gaming hardware. 

PS4 wouldn’t have sold as it did without launching in November. 

Had the switch launched during the holiday it would’ve sold even more than it did in March. 

Uh no. The Switch would only have sold more because possibly there would have been more stock by then. Other than that, it would have sold the exact same. Last gen had been going on for 8 years when the PS4 and XBO launched. People were desperate for a new gen. The PS4, like I said, would have sold the exact amount because it sold as much as they manufactured. Doesn't matter when it launched.