By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - GoW (PS4) versus Zelda:BOTW

I'm a life long Zelda fan and a God of War fan and I think both series are awesome. Whether you think open worlds are better than story or vice versa here is something we can look at.

GoW is a 95 on metacritic
BoTW is a 97 on metacritic

So both games are great but Zelda clearly wins here.

Around the Network
Snoorlax said:
I'm a life long Zelda fan and a God of War fan and I think both series are awesome. Whether you think open worlds are better than story or vice versa here is something we can look at.

So explain to me why The Last of Us was considered game of the generation last gen.

Snoorlax said:

2 points difference on MetaCritic is a clear win now?

But I agree to some of the above that these games aren't similar enough to give it a fair comparison. Horizon: Zero Dawn + BotW are much more similar.

Lawlight said:
Snoorlax said:

So explain to me why The Last of Us was considered game of the generation last gen.

TLOU was not the game of last generation. That title went to another game that scored 97 meta and that was Mario Galaxies.

John2290 said:

There are already a handful of games better than BoTW this generation. The withcher 3, Nioh, Nier Automata, Horizon, Divinity OS (And most likely DOS2) and although had a few on and offs with my mates save file, possibly Mario Oddessy. BoTW is the most over rated game of this generation and while Jim Sterlings score doesn't reflect my thoughts on scoring it, I'd be more forgiving at between and 8 or a 9, his thoughts pretty much mirror mine. The mediocre aspects and irritating design decisions of that game far outshine the brilliance you can find within it leaving and that's coming from someone who forgave The Witcher 3's launch issues on console and regard it still as the GoTG.

Even more than a year later, the pain still persists. Let us not pretend that this isn't about BotW blowing all the games on your favourite platform of choice out of the water (score wise). I highly doubt you would call it overrated if it came out on Playstation or whatever.

As for being ontopic: The games are both great (haven't played GoW yet but I'm sure it's good). This comparison is weird however since they are different games. As someone mentioned before, Horizon would be a much better comparison.

Around the Network
John2290 said:
Azzanation said:

TLOU was not the game of last generation. That title went to another game that scored 97 meta and that was Mario Galaxies.

Loved Mario galaxies but that score does not hold up in the slightest, not even close. 

I guess we will disagree with each other here.

Regardless I am going off popular sites

http://au.ign.com/lists/games-of-a-generation/1

John2290 said:
OTBWY said:

Even more than a year later, the pain still persists. Let us not pretend that this isn't about BotW blowing all the games on your favourite platform of choice out of the water (score wise). I highly doubt you would call it overrated if it came out on Playstation.

As for being ontopic: The games are both great (haven't played GoW yet but I'm sure it's good). This comparison is weird however since they are different games. As someone mentioned before, Horizon would be a much better comparison.

Not even close lad. I think many of my favourite games on Playstation are overrated, TLoU and The uncharted series for two, albeit UC4 did impress me. BoTW being on a different system doesn't affect my judgment. In fact I'd wager to say it affects most others judgement as it was the only praise worthy game until Oddessy came out and Oddessy even though I'd have to play a good chuck more of it, I can tell from what I have played it's deserving of its MC score and praise with gamers. BotW isn't even the best Zelda game. 

Oh so you only have terrible opinions. Sorry then. Never mind.

Lawlight said:
Snoorlax said:

By who? I think what people consider game of the generation differs depending on who you ask. I have asked this from a number of friends and also looked at a number of forums and I have seen answers that include Halo 3, TLoU, Mario Galaxy, Skyrim, Minecraft, GTA V, AC2 Tomb Raider, and Star Craft. Plus, to my knowledge, there are very few outlets that rate a game of the generation (far less than game of the year) that would indicate any consensus on the matter in the industry.

BotW and GoW are so different that I couldn't really compare the two. They are both high quality releases in two very different genres, hence why I don't think a direct general comparison is really viable. I find this excerise is like saying let's compare this industrial design award winning fridge to this industrial design award winning toaster, sure they are both appliances but they differ enough not to warrant such a direct comparison.

I cannot comparing both games, both of them are just different.