By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Haha after lurking since 2011(ish) it’s this topic that finally got me.
1) leviathan melvillei.
2) Thylacoleo.
3) Titanoboa
4) Dunkleosteus
5) Terror bird.

Around the Network

Dinosaurs of course, especially the huge sauropods.

starbruin said:
I would really love to have seen a velociraptor in action

Really? They would be quite tame compared to seeing a Utah or Dakotaraptor

well if you dont want something to go extinct, make it taste good. no issues with chickens, cows, pigs, etc.

https://i.imgur.com/6UMJ2YN.gif

Ground. Sloth.

The Democratic Nintendo fan....is that a paradox? I'm fond of one of the more conservative companies in the industry, but I vote Liberally and view myself that way 90% of the time?

Around the Network
OTBWY said:

The first one: Glyptodon. It was basically a big armadillo, but the size of a tiny car. The cool thing is that it actually coexisted with humans, as it went extinct 4000 years ago. There's also fossil remains that show damage from man made spears.

Second one: Terror bird. This thing hunted horses. It went extinct around 2 million years ago. It couldn't compete with the sabred cats that migrated to its continent when north and south America joined.

Extra: Paraceratherium. The largest land mammal that ever lived. This animal towered over elephants. It was actually part of the rhinoceros family.

There are so many cool extinct animals to talk about, like the megafauna of Australia (Andrewsarchus, Megalania). An interesting topic to talk about is why so much of the giant animals died out so fast.

Excellent picks, these are some of my favourites too! South America sure had some cool megafauna. I actually did not know that Glyptodon lived alongside and interacted with humans, so I learned something new today, thanks.

starbruin said:

They are like big chickens with teeth.

starbruin said:

Sorry, I just had to

Huge animals.

OTBWY said:

Second one: Terror bird. This thing hunted horses. It went extinct around 2 million years ago. It couldn't compete with the sabred cats that migrated to its continent when north and south America joined.

That, is one gigantic bird. I like how the other horses are also like WTF. Imagine coming across one of those during your casual lunch-break walk in the park or something.

It's funny that in the past there were all these huge animals, monstrous times.