By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - God of War early playthrough thoughts

Not to stoke the fires, but holy shit I'm maybe ten to fifteen hours in and the game just keeps getting BETTER.

I'm serious, the first couple of hours really engaged and impressed me, and yet now they actually feel like the low point of the game. And that's fantastic, the developers demonstrated a tremendous amount of patience in pacing this, and it REALLY pays off. One warning I will give is to avoid guides on the locations of runes for those triple-locked chests. I finally turned to out of frustration, and ran smack dab into a massive spoiler that in it,, was NOT worth it.

Zanten, Doer Of The Things

Unless He Forgets In Which Case Zanten, Forgetter Of The Things

Or He Procrascinates, In Which Case Zanten, Doer Of The Things Later

Or It Involves Moving Furniture, in Which Case Zanten, F*** You.

Around the Network

by far the best opening, far better than the last of us.. which I finished a day before starting God of war. The camera in last of us is similarly zoomed in, so i have no issues with it, and combat is far superior in GoW, last of us felt sluggish most of the time, but i guess that was by design, but now in god of war i feel super powered with the speed Kratos swings his axe.

Although I can see how the fan of original trilogy could have difficult time adjusting to the new perspective.. I went into the game with no preconceived notion of controller schemes, maybe a little bit of bloodborne on my mind. but i kept old god of war button layout out of my head.

About 4-5 hours I think... really good, fantastic graphics, love the relationship between father and son.

Only very small grips - odd little stutter (not much and am running it on resolution mode not performance on pro)... camera can be too close at times.

So far definitely best game this year. Very high quality game. I think it retains the original GOW wars so well, they have really upgraded it to a next gen experience.

Making an indie game : Dead of Day!

It put me to sleep after 20 minutes. It's very pretty and the story did hook me from the start, yet the slow pace was no match against my sleep deficit at the end of the week. I switched back to Netflix after dying at the first troll and was asleep on the couch 10 minutes later.

Opening inspired by HZD perhaps...

The motion blur with the shaky or rather wavy camera movement was making me a bit nauseous at first. Luckily you can turn the motion blur off which makes the stuttering more obvious, better that than nauseous. I guess I can switch to performance mode instead, or it's just that I'm so used to 60fps now, 30fps feels kinda wonky.

Looking at a review performance mode seems the way to go. I'm sitting far enough from the tv not to notice the difference, as long as that beautiful HDR still works.

Seems great so far. Thank god for that kid. Some personality really helps out with the tone of the game.

Around the Network

Having replayed God of War (PS2) over the last week before the release of this game I've gotta say the adaptation was rough. The mix between the new control scheme, Kratos being relatively weak at the start and enemies being far tougher than in other games made for some early frustrations. My first encounter with Heavy Draugr was a particularly painful one.

Then you level up, gain armor, weapon upgrades, new abilities for Kratos and Atreus and it gets really really fun. It gets even better when you reach the Lake of Nine and things open up in a grandiose way, I've spent a few hours doing side quests before continuing with the main plot and it was all entertaining stuff (especially freeing the dragon)

Signature goes here!

KLXVER said:
Seems great so far. Thank god for that kid. Some personality really helps out with the tone of the game.

The kid is a blessing and a curse. I wish he would just shut up sometimes. But he does add a lot of good to the game as well.

pikashoe said:
KLXVER said:

The kid is a blessing and a curse. I wish he would just shut up sometimes. But he does add a lot of good to the game as well.

I dont mind him talking alot. Its funny when he annoys Kratos.lol

KLXVER said:
pikashoe said:

Yeah I dont mind the kid either, he's not annoying, more inquisitive... and it goes well with the over talkative Kratos :D

Making an indie game : Dead of Day!

Madword said:
KLXVER said:

Yeah I dont mind the kid either, he's not annoying, more inquisitive... and it goes well with the over talkative Kratos :D

I love Kratos stories. Just straight to the point. No BS. A hare and a turtle were in a race. The hare was a show off and the turtle was focused. The turtle won...lol