By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Xbox One is the best console if you don't care about exclusive new games - The Verge

I mean,that's true,but that's also a real big if.

Around the Network

exclusives are the main reason to buy a console,well in my opinion. So I can't agree with verge on this.

NND: 0047-7271-7918 | XBL: Nights illusion | PSN: GameNChick

PwerlvlAmy said:
exclusives are the main reason to buy a console,well in my opinion. So I can't agree with verge on this.

I agree. 

Yeah, a lot of huge sellers are on multiple platforms, but more often than not my favourite games are exclusives because the best games are the ones that are best tailored to their hardware or have the clearest identity. 

Stuff like Call of Duty, Assassin's Creed, Grand Theft Auto, Sports games, Battlefield, Racing games, 'Ubisoft: The game', and many other RPGs and open world action games might have an identity, but is there anything as uniquely charming as Mario or Yoshi? Has there ever been a game as gloriously over-the-top while also being as mature as God of War? Is there an FPS protagonist as iconic as Master Chief? 

Exclusives DO matter. Yeah, they're just one part of the pie on any console or platform, but they matter and they help identify a console. 

Nintendo has multiplayer games, all the charm in the world, and a family friendly image. 

Sony has a strong emphasis on singleplayer games that skew a bit older but go from kids (littlebigplanet) to Adults (God of War/The Last of Us). 

Microsoft loves decidedly 'Murican stuff (racing and FPS games in the form of Halo, Gears, and Forza). 

This is why exclusives matter, they are the backbone of a brand's image. When it comes to multiplatform games, there aren't that many that I fall in love with anymore. Skyrim is and was a huge deal to me, Dark Souls holds a special place in my heart, and I love a lot of indies (Shovel Knight, axiom Verge, Owlboy), but when it comes to 'AAA' games, my favorites tend to skew towards exclusives like Zelda, Mario, Donkey Kong, Bloodborne, Ratchet & Clank, and hopefully the upcoming God of War! 

I agree. Exclusives that come out pale in comparison to multiplatform games. Xbox one x multiplatform games look and play the best compared to other consoles. Furthermore, I think xbox one x has the best online, UI, features and controller.

Also, exclusives are subjective too because I would rather play Halo, Gears, Forza Horizon and PUBG over Sony's line up.

PwerlvlAmy said:

Absolutely agree, just seems a lot wiser to choose a console because of its exclusive content than for instance backwards compatibility

Around the Network
Snoopy said:
1 - I agree. 2- Exclusives that come out pale in comparison to multiplatform games. Xbox one x multiplatform games look and play the best compared to other consoles. 3 - Furthermore, I think xbox one x has the best online, UI, features and controller.

Also, exclusives are subjective too because 4 -I would rather play Halo, Gears, Forza Horizon and PUBG over Sony's line up.

edit. I'm not going out like that.

Last edited by COKTOE - on 19 April 2018

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

I'll tell ya, as an owner of a PS4 Pro, XB1, and Switch, I agree with his underlying point. I play more on my PS4 Pro though, because its simply the most powerful system that I own.

With that said....

I play shooters on XB exclusively, as the controller is much better than the DS4. And you can even take it up another notch if you invest in an Elite controller. The Switch controllers all feel like kids toys in comparison to the XB (or even the DS4). There's also the terrible battery life of the DS4 to consider, but I've learned to live with it.

I make sure to always check my "free" games from XBL every month because there's usually at least one good one per month. I mostly stopped checking for the "free" games from PS+ cuz there's hardly any worth worrying about. Switch obviously has nothing to offer in this regard yet. (I'll note that PS+ games are better than they used to be. That's something at least.)

The XB UI is better. I will say though that the 10 different versions they've rolled out since launch have annoyed me a bit. PS has definitely been more consistent. Switch....I guess I don't have a strong opinion about it yet.

BC - well, I don't really use it much. But, it is nice to know that it is there, and maybe once a year I pop something old in and play. The fact that PS has not implemented this has really frustrated me though, as there are a lot of PS3 games that I'd like to play. Switch won't be able to play old physical media obviously, and VC type stuff remains to be seen.

On the flipside......

The PS4 library is clearly much better than XBone. It doesn't come in to play a whole lot for me, as I'm not into JRPGs. But still, there are probably 2-3 PS exclusives per year that I care about, vs. 1-2 on XB. Switch may have the most exclusives that I want, but the 3rd party library is so weak that its really not comparable.

And that's really all I can think of where the PS4 wins, at least for me.

Message edited by CGI 19.4.2018

~user warned

-CGI

edit: a glitch is making his name appear under the edit, know that it is not him but rather me, CGI. 

Last edited by AngryLittleAlchemist - on 19 April 2018

Like a Three's Company Episode.

Last edited by COKTOE - on 19 April 2018

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

DonFerrari said:

PC games launch for 40usd and console for 60usd, so even at launch their are cheaper.

I am looking at Skyrim VR right now on steam for $60.
http://store.steampowered.com/search/?filter=popularnew&sort_by=Released_DESC&os=win