By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Just got a PS4 - What JRPG should I get?

So I think I'm gonna go with P5. I feel like if I backlog that one I'll never get around to it considering how much time it requires. And most of you seem to put that at the top out of these 4. Now is probably my best bet to actually play it. Whereas with Nier I think I can get that one down the line and fit it into my time a whole lot easier.

Around the Network

Interestingly enough, Persona 5 is the worst selling out of the three we have sales data for on VG. I totally expected it to be Nier.

Nier Automata is one of the greatest games ever released imho!

Last edited by Errorist76 - on 17 April 2018

HyrulianScrolls said:

So with a huge new game in my fav Sony exclusive franchise - God of War - coming out for PS4 (plus TLoU 2 this year or next), I could no longer resist the system and finally caved! Especially once those reviews for GoW hit!!  I'm obviously getting GoW next week, but I need help deciding which JRPG I should get? I'm incredibly torn between these 4: Nier: Automata, Ni No Kuni II, Monster Hunter World, and Persona 5. I really only have time and money for one of these for the time being. I'm sure I would enjoy all four considering the praise they've all garnered and all look appealing to me. (...)

Persona 5 and Ni No Kuni 2 are a dream for every JRPG-Fan, thats sure !!! Have fun with this masterpieces : )

And Yakuza 6 of course. Its the perfect game for japan-fans, the city is incridible and the bossfights/rpg-elements/characters/story are amazing!

Game Awards 2020: Millions of Gamers have decided, "The Last of Us 2" is Game of the Year and has received the most Awards :) And my respect for Ghost of Tsushima!!

KazumaKiryu said:
HyrulianScrolls said:

So with a huge new game in my fav Sony exclusive franchise - God of War - coming out for PS4 (plus TLoU 2 this year or next), I could no longer resist the system and finally caved! Especially once those reviews for GoW hit!!  I'm obviously getting GoW next week, but I need help deciding which JRPG I should get? I'm incredibly torn between these 4: Nier: Automata, Ni No Kuni II, Monster Hunter World, and Persona 5. I really only have time and money for one of these for the time being. I'm sure I would enjoy all four considering the praise they've all garnered and all look appealing to me. (...)

Persona 5 and Ni No Kuni 2 are a dream for every JRPG-Fan, thats sure !!! Have fun with this masterpieces : )

And Yakuza 6 of course. Its the perfect game for japan-fans, the city is incridible and the bossfights/rpg-elements/characters/story are amazing!

That Ni No Kuni II boxart is gorgeous by the way. Probably one of the best I've ever seen for a JRPG. 

Around the Network
John2290 said:
Azuren said:
Well, first of all, NieR and MHW aren't JRPGs.

How so? They are Japanese and RPG's...Jrpg.

That's what I meant as well by calling them "JRPGs". However, I do kind of understand where that poster is coming from, since JRPG is more of a style of game than just simply any RPG made by Japanese devs. I can see how MHW and Nier don't totally fit that style. Not the way NNK2 and P5 do at least. 

John2290 said:
HyrulianScrolls said:

That's what I meant as well by calling them "JRPGs". However, I do kind of understand where that poster is coming from, since JRPG is more of a style of game than just simply any RPG made by Japanese devs. I can see how MHW and Nier don't totally fit that style. Not the way NNK2 and P5 do at least. 

By that definition maybe mMHW can be scratched off but Nier Automata is about as JRPG-y as it gets. Hell, FF15 can't be classified as JRPG under that criteria. Nonsense talk.

I haven't played it mind you, but Nier sounds like it skews very action heavy for traditional JRPG  standards. Regardless, I'd still call them all JRPGs, hence my thread title.