By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Just got a PS4 - What JRPG should I get?

BraLoD said:
From those 4 you should get Persona 5.
Nier Automata is more of an action game and you'll get that from God of War right now.
But be sure to get Nier later as well as it's an amazing game too, that is, after you get Nioh, the best game this gen.

Hmm, you make a great point there, I will be getting the action fix from GoW. Lots of you are saying P5. Though I do like that Nier won't be quite the time sink as P5. Dammit, this is such a tough decision! 

Around the Network
Azuren said:
Well, first of all, NieR and MHW aren't JRPGs.

Ni no Kuni 2 is fantastic. There's just nothing absolutely awful about the game aside from its own intent from the beginning of the game to undermine the world map with instant-travel.

Persona 5 is a great point to jump on the SMT bandwagon, and will somewhat mentally prepare you for SMTV (somewhat... Maybe a bit.) Be wary, though, as it is at the minimum a 60 hour game.

I meant that they're both RPGs made by Japanese devs. I realize they don't technically fit the genre mold itself of a JRPG like NNK and P5 do. 

If you want classic turn based combat get Persona 5. If you want an action rpg get Nier Automata. If you still aren't sure then just get Persona 5.

HyrulianScrolls said:
Nautilus said:
Out of these four, easily Persona 5.Outside of Nier though, you cant go really wrong.And remember, DQ XI is also comming, so there is tgat one too.

Interesting, most here seem highly in favor of Nier. Why did you not like it if I can ask? 

Mostly from a severe pacing issue.If I go into details, I mkight end up spoiling a couple of things, so lets just say that you end up replaying a mounstrous ammount of things that you have to go through, and the gameplay is way less fun than in act 1 or 3.

But thats not the only problem, even if the other issues are mostly tied to that first one.The game was obviously budget restrained, so much so that the game is too small for what it tries to achieve, so you end up going through some places alot of times, and that gets in the way.And its not RE kind of backtrack, which is fun.Other thing is that it could have used a better overall plot, though the narrative is excellent.In this instance, you could say the narrative is the whole point of the story, but it didnt fully click with me.

I have some other smaller issues with the game, but they are mostly minor.Having said this, its still a good game, just not in the same league as the others you have mentioned.

Edit:To give an example of who bad the pacing issue is in that part of the game, think Bravely Default late game.Yeah, its that bad.But overall its a good game, just like Bravely Default.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

All of them :O

Around the Network

So I think I'm gonna go with P5. I feel like if I backlog that one I'll never get around to it considering how much time it requires. And most of you seem to put that at the top out of these 4. Now is probably my best bet to actually play it. Whereas with Nier I think I can get that one down the line and fit it into my time a whole lot easier.

Interestingly enough, Persona 5 is the worst selling out of the three we have sales data for on VG. I totally expected it to be Nier.

Nier Automata is one of the greatest games ever released imho!

Last edited by Errorist76 - on 17 April 2018

HyrulianScrolls said:

So with a huge new game in my fav Sony exclusive franchise - God of War - coming out for PS4 (plus TLoU 2 this year or next), I could no longer resist the system and finally caved! Especially once those reviews for GoW hit!!  I'm obviously getting GoW next week, but I need help deciding which JRPG I should get? I'm incredibly torn between these 4: Nier: Automata, Ni No Kuni II, Monster Hunter World, and Persona 5. I really only have time and money for one of these for the time being. I'm sure I would enjoy all four considering the praise they've all garnered and all look appealing to me. (...)

Persona 5 and Ni No Kuni 2 are a dream for every JRPG-Fan, thats sure !!! Have fun with this masterpieces : )

And Yakuza 6 of course. Its the perfect game for japan-fans, the city is incridible and the bossfights/rpg-elements/characters/story are amazing!

KazumaKiryu said:
HyrulianScrolls said:

So with a huge new game in my fav Sony exclusive franchise - God of War - coming out for PS4 (plus TLoU 2 this year or next), I could no longer resist the system and finally caved! Especially once those reviews for GoW hit!!  I'm obviously getting GoW next week, but I need help deciding which JRPG I should get? I'm incredibly torn between these 4: Nier: Automata, Ni No Kuni II, Monster Hunter World, and Persona 5. I really only have time and money for one of these for the time being. I'm sure I would enjoy all four considering the praise they've all garnered and all look appealing to me. (...)

Persona 5 and Ni No Kuni 2 are a dream for every JRPG-Fan, thats sure !!! Have fun with this masterpieces : )

And Yakuza 6 of course. Its the perfect game for japan-fans, the city is incridible and the bossfights/rpg-elements/characters/story are amazing!

That Ni No Kuni II boxart is gorgeous by the way. Probably one of the best I've ever seen for a JRPG.