By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Will PS4 reach 80 million before E3?

UltimateGamer1982 said:
I would love Sony to go ahead and permanently lower the price to $199 just to see what sort of growth it would have for the rest of the year. $299 for a 4 1/2 year old console seems a bit high.

Problem for that though, Sony is probably making a pretty good amount of profit off of the hardware at this point and with it consistently selling between 180k and 250k without big releases, they aren't looking at pulling that card. Might see a month like November or December having the PS4 at $199 though. Instead of just a week, like last year.

Around the Network
SnakeDrake said:
Kind of on topic but recently gotten hard to find a PS4 silm most stores here have it out of stock and they don't know when will the next shipping be. Any news on low PS4 silm stocks?

What stores and where are you from?

PwerlvlAmy said:
unless it starts boosting some bigger numbers, i say no

we'll see though with the GOW and Detroit numbers though

It doesn't need a boost. With a little over 10 weeks from latest vgc figures to E3 the PS4 would need to average 240k a week.

The weekly average so far this year is 307k.

So average weekly  s in April to June would have to be over 20% lower than average weekly from Jan to march. Which with God of War seems very unlikely.

UltimateGamer1982 said:
I would love Sony to go ahead and permanently lower the price to $199 just to see what sort of growth it would have for the rest of the year. $299 for a 4 1/2 year old console seems a bit high.

It’s still selling very well is why. I don’t expect a permanent Switch price drop anytime soon either. 

OP: for all we know, it’s already there. Sony planned to ship 79 million by March 31st. If it’s not at 80 million yet, it should easily pass that afted GoW comes out. 

0331 Happiness is a belt-fed weapon

SnakeDrake said:
Kind of on topic but recently gotten hard to find a PS4 silm most stores here have it out of stock and they don't know when will the next shipping be. Any news on low PS4 silm stocks?

In my area i havent seen any 1tb slims in awhile, a bunch of 500gb slims (which i thought were discontinued) and a few Pros

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network

Can't see why it shouldn't.

Even without GOW and detroit, its averaging at worst around 250k/week.

From april 1st to june 12th we sre looking at like 10 weeks.

So at worst thats 2.5M sales right there, add that to its current 77.6M as of March 31st, we have 80.1M.

And this is not even taking into account whatever effect or boost GOW and/or Detroit will have on hardware.

Intrinsic said:

So at worst thats 2.5M sales right there, add that to its current 77.6M as of March 31st, we have 80.1M.

And this is not even taking into account whatever effect or boost GOW and/or Detroit will have on hardware.

This makes me think its almost certain to happend.

JRPGfan said:
Intrinsic said:

This makes me think its almost certain to happend.

Yup.... barring some really strange phenomenon, its practically a given its going to happen.

Makes you wonder how sales wil be if sony drops thePS4 to $199.

Unfortunately with hw welthe thing is still selling at $299 andwith all te upcoming games this year, its beginning to seem less and less likely sony drops the price. At this point thats akin to just leaving money on the table.

Intrinsic said:

If VGC is to be believed, it has been trending downward every week since week 4 so i dont think without GOW it would maintain a 250k weekly average this spring.

With that said, GOW is coming and will def cause a boost so it certainly could reach that number.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

No but it will be super close (about 79 million units sold by the time E3 knocks on our doors.
Unless God of War boosts the PS4 sales...