By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Etrian Odyssey X announced for 3DS

AngryLittleAlchemist said:
Can we have one thread without some version of the whole "it needs to be on Switch!" thing. So fucking annoying.

The game looks cool. Let us talk about the actual fucking game.

Angry indeed. 

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
Can we have one thread without some version of the whole "it needs to be on Switch!" thing. So fucking annoying.

The game looks cool. Let us talk about the actual fucking game.

This is a sales website, so "this should be on Switch" goes beyond plain self-interest and fanboyism. Business is discussed here. I know that the vast majority does not discuss business, but that doesn't lessen the merit and relevance.

Naturally, it makes perfect sense for a DS/3DS-exclusive IP to move on to Switch, so it's a valid question ask why this game was announced for 3DS instead of Switch. This being Atlus - who have a reputation of moving on very slowly from one console to the next - pretty much answers that question. The game itself gets pitched as a celebration of the IP, but that's nothing more than a nice way to say that the fanbase gets milked once more with the rampant recycling of already existing assets. Not that it will be a bad game, rather it's something that is probably made on a smaller budget than usual.

The fear was raised that this might be the final Etrian Odyssey game, but that's unlikely considering how frequently EO has been released. The IP can continue without a dual screen setup, nevermind that there have already been steps made towards more auto-mapping in recent EO titles.

There's also the problem of oversaturation on a single console. Etrian Odyssey on the original DS had three games. On the 3DS, the series has had four mainline games (two originals, two remakes), four spinoffs (two mystery dungeons, two Persona Q crossovers) and the upcoming EO X. Nine games in total for a series that, in all honesty, it's not that big. The series recycles quite a lot of content between releases, so it makes up for the moderate sales, but we've reached a point where the audience wants to move on.

I'm sure it's on some form of development right now, probably building the basis for the series to last the whole of the Switch's lifespan.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

I thought the X in the title meant 10. They released so many titles that I thought that was the case. Anyway are these titles connected in any sorta way. I kinda don't want to start from the 1st one and work my way up.

Edit: I looked it up. They are in the same world but are not connected. Sorta like Fire Emblem.

Tag:I'm not bias towards Nintendo. You just think that way (Admin note - it's "biased".  Not "bias")
(killeryoshis note - Who put that there ?)
Switch is 9th generation. Everyone else is playing on last gen systems! UPDATE: This is no longer true

Biggest pikmin fan on VGchartz I won from a voting poll
I am not a nerd. I am enthusiast.  EN-THU-SI-AST!
Do Not Click here or else I will call on the eye of shinning justice on you. 

killeryoshis said:
I thought the X in the title meant 10. They released so many titles that I thought that was the case. Anyway are these titles connected in any sorta way. I kinda don't want to start from the 1st one and work my way up.

They only have 5 original games though. 

killeryoshis said:

That's still a lot of games. These games take 40-50 hours to beat.  Granted I have played single games for longer than the entire series playtime combined. It still is a long time.  There are also other games I rather play as well. I think I am going to pick up one of the DS ones. If I like them enough then I will play more. 

Tag:I'm not bias towards Nintendo. You just think that way (Admin note - it's "biased".  Not "bias")
Switch is 9th generation. Everyone else is playing on last gen systems! UPDATE: This is no longer true

Around the Network
killeryoshis said:

That's still a lot of games. These games take 40-50 hours to beat.  Granted I have played single games for longer than the entire series playtime combined. It still is a long time.  There are also other games I rather play as well. I think I am going to pick up one of the DS ones. If I like them enough then I will play more. 

The DS ones were remade/reimagined for the 3DS as Etrian Odyssey : Millennium Girl and Etrian Odyssey : Fafnir Knight, in case you didn't know, or maybe you did. The only one that hasn't been remade is 3. Buying the remakes would probably be a better alternative. 

killeryoshis said:

The DS ones were remade/reimagined for the 3DS as Etrian Odyssey : Millennium Girl and Etrian Odyssey : Fafnir Knight, in case you didn't know, or maybe you did. The only one that hasn't been remade is 3. Buying the remakes would probably be a better alternative. 

No, I didn't know that.  I know as much about this franchise outside of a few reviews and such.  So I will get one of the 3DS games then. 

Seeing how this game was basically built around the the features of the DS, I can see why they're sticking to the 3DS. The touch screen is quite integral to the mechanics of the Etrian series, so I figure it'll be a little difficult for the series to transition to another console.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread