By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Dragon Quest XI for Switch delay due UE4, game based on PS4 version of game, why was announced for Switch so early

Hynad said:
GoOnKid said:

Hmm?

What good points are there to have animosity towards them? 

They mentioned that DQ XI was coming to the Switch prior to the console being named, sure. But they didn't say when it was going to come out (Hey, it's not even out in the west on PS4). They announced it simply to let people know that they were going to support the console. And they did. With multiple games already.

They even have Project Octopath that's exclusive for the Switch. 

So why should there be any animosity? Just because a game they announced comes out on another console before coming to the Switch?

This is all just an overreaction.

Not that it came out first on another platform.  That they have nothing to show, discuss, or anything.  And the fact they have done well with these other projects on Switch is what makes this one, the grand finale as it were, being handled like this so profoundly disappointing. 

And people are pretty darn understanding of Switch versions coming a bit late when the timeframe makes some sense and the developers are communicative.  Wolfenstein 2 and Valkyria Chronicles 4 to name a couple.  The difference is they talked about them, gave us information and progress updates.  Wolfenstein 2 had a playable build at Pax East.  Dragon Quest XI has been announced for longer and the PS4 version has been out longer than Wolfenstein 2 for PS4 and yet they refused to be transparent.  We only now know what *exactly* it is, they refused to offer clarity on the version despite being asked point blank about it in the past.  

And is it really all that entitled to want screenshots?  Or confirmation the Switch version wa the PS4 version?  Even those tiny things are too much to ask?  Imagine the roles reversed and your preferred platform was getting the shaft and it was the Switch version that came out 9 months ago.  

And to be crystal clear while I will not excuse this mishandling and won't stop criticizing what I see as either horrendous mismanagement or communication or both, I still think Square is one of Switch's strongest supporters.  My ire over this is nothing compared to Bandai Namco's BS or Capcom's endless stream of "test" ports.  But this situation wuth DQXI is immensely frustrating.

Around the Network
fatslob-:O said:
Miyamotoo said:

You cant rely spin around this, Switch ("NX") version was announced too early and fans are not happy ofcourse because few years later we still dont know when game will be released while we know release date for PS4 version for West. Fans have good reasons to not be happy and to blame SE.

LOL, that still doesn't prove that they officially confirmed it for the Switch during the same time it was revealed for PS4 and 3DS ... 

Of course YOU were going to say that!

GoOnKid said:
Hynad said:

They mentioned that DQ XI was coming to the Switch prior to the console being named, sure. But they didn't say when it was going to come out (Hey, it's not even out in the west on PS4). They announced it simply to let people know that they were going to support the console. And they did. With multiple games already.

So why should there be any animosity? Just because a game they announced comes out on another console before coming to the Switch?

I think the animosity doesn't derive from the PS4 version arriving earlier than the Switch version or from the general support towards the Switch, but rather from the very bad excuse they gave us. Problems with the UE4 arised. An issue with compaitibilty. Ok. Stuff like that happens. But then they shouldn't have anounced it before even testing simple things like that. This is basic level here, and they managed to screw up. You don't expect such nonsense from a juggernaut like SE, do you? Well, neither does him.

Furthermore, Nuvendil seems pissed because he works with UE and he knows more about it than you and me do. So I take his word over yours.

Do you know when the Switch got a working version of UE4? 

Nintendo said from the get go that the Switch was going to be compatible with UE4. But then, support for it came much later. It isn't unreasonable to believe Square-Enix thought the engine was going to be supported much earlier than it was. But the first officially supported version of the engine got released in may 2017.

Hynad said:
GoOnKid said:

I think the animosity doesn't derive from the PS4 version arriving earlier than the Switch version or from the general support towards the Switch, but rather from the very bad excuse they gave us. Problems with the UE4 arised. An issue with compaitibilty. Ok. Stuff like that happens. But then they shouldn't have anounced it before even testing simple things like that. This is basic level here, and they managed to screw up. You don't expect such nonsense from a juggernaut like SE, do you? Well, neither does him.

Furthermore, Nuvendil seems pissed because he works with UE and he knows more about it than you and me do. So I take his word over yours.

Nintendo said from the get go that the Switch was going to be compatible with UE4. But then, support for it came much later. It isn't unreasonable to believe Square-Enix thought the engine was going to be supported much earlier than it was.

Source?

GoOnKid said:
Hynad said:

To be clear before I get built up too much in this regard, I do work with UE4 but it is on PC.  I do keep tabs on updates to the engine and console compatibility though.  From my understanding of the engine and the anecdotal evidence of many devs, I just find this excuse quite weak and also the implications of the wording alarming cause it sounds like they only just *now* started work to address it which would be very alarming since Switch support was already in place with 4.15 in February 2017 and was fully launched in May of 2017 with 4.16 and has been further refined since.  Furthermore, Epic has worked with Nintendo and devs requesting assistance since those dates.  And lastly, the fact there is an exclusive being developed for the system on UE4 kinda shoots a hole in the idea UE4 support only just recently became viable, if the ports using the engine didn't already do that.

Also, UE4 is demanding.  id Tech 6 is on another level.  That two id Tech 6 games are beating a UE4 port out of the gate is rather...alarming.

Around the Network
Hynad said:
GoOnKid said:

Nintendo said from the get go that the Switch was going to be compatible with UE4. But then, support for it came much later. It isn't unreasonable to believe Square-Enix thought the engine was going to be supported much earlier than it was.

Preliminary support, used to port Snake Pass, was in place with 4.15 in February 2017.  4.16 released in May brought full support. https://www.unrealengine.com/en-US/blog/launch-your-game-on-the-nintendo-switch-with-unreal-engine-4-16

Epic has also been responsive to devs needing assistance and the support has been refined since.

Nuvendil said:
GoOnKid said:

To be clear before I get built up too much in this regard, I do work with UE4 but it is on PC.  I do keep tabs on updates to the engine and console compatibility though.  From my understanding of the engine and the anecdotal evidence of many devs, I just find this excuse quite weak and also the implications of the wording alarming cause it sounds like they only just *now* started work to address it which would be very alarming since Switch support was already in place with 4.15 in February 2017 and was fully launched in May of 2017 with 4.16 and has been further refined since.  Furthermore, Epic has worked with Nintendo and devs requesting assistance since those dates.  And lastly, the fact there is an exclusive being developed for the system on UE4 kinda shoots a hole in the idea UE4 support only just recently became viable, if the ports using the engine didn't already do that.

Also, UE4 is demanding.  id Tech 6 is on another level.  That two id Tech 6 games are beating a UE4 port out of the gate is rather...alarming.

Switch support with 4.15 was in experimental phase and not fully featured. Which makes it all the more likely that issues could happen with it.

Nuvendil said:
Hynad said:

Preliminary support, used to port Snake Pass, was in place with 4.15 in February 2017.  4.16 released in May brought full support. https://www.unrealengine.com/en-US/blog/launch-your-game-on-the-nintendo-switch-with-unreal-engine-4-16

Epic has also been responsive to devs needing assistance and the support has been refined since.

Indeed, and Square-Enix did mention that they have been in touch with both Epic and Nintendo to help sort their issues.

Hynad said:
Nuvendil said:

Switch support with 4.15 was in experimental phase and not fully featured. Which makes it all the more likely that issues could happen with it.

And 4.16 resolved that in May, a whopping two months post launch.  And 4.15 was apparently enough for Sumo Digital and Atlus.  The fact is, Switch compatibility was available well ahead of the PS4 launch.  And 4.16 was not a disruptive update either if memory serves.

GoOnKid said:
Hynad said:

Source?

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2016/11/15/what-nintendos-partners-mean-for-switch-games

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2016/10/21/nintendo-switch-will-support-unreal-engine-4