By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Doom graphics comparison Xbox One X vs Switch

reviniente said:
curl-6 said:

I do have a choice actually. I could go out right now and buy a PS4, Xbox One, or gaming PC if I wanted one. I can afford it.

Which means the Switch version of DOOM is the only one you have. When you go out and get another version (I highly recommend the X), then you will be able to choose the one you like best. It's not inconceivable that someone could enjoy playing DOOM on the Switch.

It's the only one I have, but it is not my only option; there's nothing stopping me from grabbing an Xbox One X and its version of Doom, but why would I when I already have the Switch version and gyro controls matter more to me than graphics?

Around the Network
zorg1000 said:
reviniente said:

Hmmm...Better graphics and better performance on a video game. Yeah, that sounds terrible. Here's hoping next gen consoles are half as powerful as current ones. Oh, and we should all go back to 480i CRTs.

Nice strawman, he never said graphics/performance were terrible things and should regress, why not adress the actual points being brought up?

For some people, having the best visuals & performance is extremely important. For others, gyro controls or portability are more important.

For me portability is very important, i wake up and get ready for work at 4am and usually dont get home until after 6pm. When i get home i play with my kids until they go to bed, then i try to get in a quick workout then i relax with my wife for about an hour and go to bed.

A good deal of my gaming comes during my daily commute to/from work. I carpool with 2 other guys and depending on where we are working its usually 1-2 hours each way so on days that i dont drive i either play a game, read a book, listen to music, watch a show/movie or take a quick nap.

I would say on average, i game at home on the TV 1-2 hours/week and play portable away from home 2-3 hours/week.

You understand he never addressed the subject of portability, right? He questioned the outright preposterous notion of a video game being more enjoyable simply because it looks better. The gall. And be honest; were you lord and master of your own free time, would you give the Switch the light of day?

curl-6 said:
reviniente said:

Which means the Switch version of DOOM is the only one you have. When you go out and get another version (I highly recommend the X), then you will be able to choose the one you like best. It's not inconceivable that someone could enjoy playing DOOM on the Switch.

It's the only one I have, but it is not my only option; there's nothing stopping me from grabbing an Xbox One X and its version of Doom, but why would I when I already have the Switch version and gyro controls matter more to me than graphics?

The first point has run its course and I'm not getting through to you. On the second point, what did you play before gyro controls were a thing? Did you even enjoy playing great-looking games before this?

reviniente said:
curl-6 said:

The first point has run its course and I'm not getting through to you. On the second point, what did you play before gyro controls were a thing? Did you even enjoy playing great-looking games before this?

Naturally I've played many games without motion controls, and which looked great. That doesn't change the fact though that I would rather play Doom with Switch graphics and motion controls than with PS4/PC/Xbone graphics without them.

curl-6 said:
reviniente said:

Naturally I've played many games without motion controls, and which looked great. That doesn't change the fact though that I would rather play Doom with Switch graphics and motion controls than with PS4/PC/Xbone graphics without them.

If DOOM on the Switch didn't have gyro controls, would you still have bought it?

Around the Network
reviniente said:
zorg1000 said:

Nice strawman, he never said graphics/performance were terrible things and should regress, why not adress the actual points being brought up?

For some people, having the best visuals & performance is extremely important. For others, gyro controls or portability are more important.

For me portability is very important, i wake up and get ready for work at 4am and usually dont get home until after 6pm. When i get home i play with my kids until they go to bed, then i try to get in a quick workout then i relax with my wife for about an hour and go to bed.

A good deal of my gaming comes during my daily commute to/from work. I carpool with 2 other guys and depending on where we are working its usually 1-2 hours each way so on days that i dont drive i either play a game, read a book, listen to music, watch a show/movie or take a quick nap.

I would say on average, i game at home on the TV 1-2 hours/week and play portable away from home 2-3 hours/week.

You understand he never addressed the subject of portability, right? He questioned the outright preposterous notion of a video game being more enjoyable simply because it looks better. The gall. And be honest; were you lord and master of your own free time, would you give the Switch the light of day?

Nah, hes not saying that individuals cant find a game better because of visuals, hes saying that its rediculous to assume everybody is going to enjoy a game more because of better visuals.

Absolutely, regardless of Switch being portable i would still find it more appealing than PS4 or XBO. Portability doesnt really add much if the software library isnt appealing.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

reviniente said:
curl-6 said:

If DOOM on the Switch didn't have gyro controls, would you still have bought it?

Sure. It's a good game even without them. High end graphics don't really matter to me.

zorg1000 said:
reviniente said:

Nah, hes not saying that individuals cant find a game better because of visuals, hes saying that its rediculous to assume everybody is going to enjoy a game more because of better visuals.

Absolutely, regardless of Switch being portable i would still find it more appealing than PS4 or XBO. Portability doesnt really add much if the software library isnt appealing.

They certainly aren't going to enjoy it less. There might be other factors (gyro controls, I guess) that render the less visually appealing version more attractive, but in spite, not because of its downgraded visuals (and performance).

curl-6 said:
reviniente said:

Sure. It's a good game even without them. High end graphics don't really matter to me.

I understand. After all, if high-end graphics were the most important aspect of a video game, Nintendo would've folded a long time ago.

reviniente said:
zorg1000 said:

They certainly aren't going to enjoy it less. .

Ya and nobody ever said they would

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.