By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Games getting announced too early by Sony?

I know its heresy to talk shit about Sony here, and am as much of a fanboy    as the next guy here, but Sony since about the launch of the PS4, have been announcing games way too early. (yes everyone does this to some degree, but microsoft doesn't even announce that many games to begin with, and Nintendo does it like once every cpl years).

for example. GoW ps4 was announced at E3 2016. release date is 2 years after the first trailer

Spiderman- release date is 2 years after the trailer.

Days Gone - release date is 3 years after the trailer

TLOU2- release date is 2 years after the trailer

Ghost of tushima- TBD (tho is it really gonna come out before 2019. I think not) so at minimum, 2 years after trailer if not 3.

and there are a cpl others that had the same problem

is just extremely annoying to watch E3, get excited about something and wait through 1 or 2 more E3s to get it.

like man I get that games take time to make, but you have enough games coming out every year to not announce stuff that many years prior to release 

Last edited by CGI-Quality - on 07 April 2018

Around the Network

Better than what happened with Crackdown3, Sea of Thieves, Ashen, and State of Decay 2. The way I see, Sony announces early to clarify that their studios aren’t just sitting on their asses.

Also, I see no reason why Ghost won’t be an early 2019 title, considering it’s been in development since Second Son launches.

0331 Happiness is a belt-fed weapon

At least they're not releasing 5-10 years after announcement...

We all know FFVII R will suffer the same fate as the other two :P

I personally like to know what Sony studios is up too. God of War launches 16 months after being announced that's hardly 2 years. Beyond and Dreams however where announced to early.

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

Qwark said:
I personally like to know what Sony studios is up too. God of War launches 16 months after being announced that's hardly 2 years. Beyond and Dreams however where announced to early.

@bolded: Actually that would be 22 months after being announced to when it launches not 16, since it was announced in June 2016 and is releasing in April 2018. Still not 2 years though, but still. 

Around the Network

that sony announced some games too early, they already saw that they made a mistake about this, but i think it's a problem about developement time too. nowadays games need much more time to be made, and that's a problem at the begin of a console generation, where they must show something, even if they know the release is two year away...but still way better than SE did

Yeah its definitely a problem. Square-Enix has this problem as wel and like others mentioned,Microsoft isnt any better than they are.

NND: 0047-7271-7918 | XBL: Nights illusion | PSN: GameNChick

DialgaMarine said:
Better than what happened with Crackdown3, Sea of Thieves, Ashen, and State of Decay 2. The way I see, Sony announces early to clarify that their studios aren’t just sitting on their asses.

Also, I see no reason why Ghost won’t be an early 2019 title, considering it’s been in development since Second Son launches.

Just because MS does it do doesn't make it okay. MS and Sony, and also Square Enix, should stop announcing games before they're even started.

edit: I don't see people saying retro studios are "sitting on their asses" because they haven't revealed their game yet. And that's only one example.

Bet with Intrinsic:

The Switch will outsell 3DS (based on VGchartz numbers), according to me, while Intrinsic thinks the opposite will hold true. One month avatar control for the loser's avatar.

They usually don't lie (too much) about the release date. They tease games, or they announce that the games are in development early. It's usually pretty clear and as an example they even said for TLOU "we're at the beginning, far from launch", and it's good to know that a lot of exclusive games are in development. No problem with knowing what they're working on if they don't lie about the time it will take, IMO it's better for people buying the console (we can buy knowing what the library will look like in the future). And even when there is a problem and a game disappear, usually it releases anyway one day or another, and it can even work very well (Nioh, The Last Guardian lately). Dreams and Wild were announced too early and disappeared for a while (Wild is still missing?), we'll see how they turn out.

It's a lot better than having false secrecy where everyone knows that a game is in development but the developer don't want to make it official, or than doing like Microsoft did with Crackdown 3, Fable Legends, Scalebound and surely others.

Last edited by Faelco - on 07 April 2018

I have a hard time being mad about it. I like a great show. Even if it takes a long time before releasing i can at least enjoy the show for what it was. But at the same time i think that games should be unveiled closer to their release.
I think one of the major reasons why it took Sony this long to release these games is because game development has changed this gen to be 1 year longer than usual for AAA games. However if you look at ghost of tsushima announcement and the release dates for detroit, spider-man and god of war they said they wanted to relay that information closer to launch now so there is a good chance Ghost of Tsushima comes out next year just like Bloodborne was also announced at E3 2014 and came out march 2015.