By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Games getting announced too early by Sony?

Faelco said:
Intrinsic said:
wait.... GOW was announced in 2014???!!!!

In December 2014, Cory Barlog said in a "questions from the fans" panel that a new God of War was in very early development (because a fan asked him directly about his next game). "Announced" is a huge exaggeration. The first real announcement was at E3 2016.

I know, thats what I was thinking. Thats not an announcement. In all honesty GOW was announced at E3 2016. released under 2 yrs later. And thsts been the case with most of sony's games.

I mean a game director telling a fan, yh the game-is in early development and we will announce it when we habe somwthing to show is a far cry from an "announcement".

Around the Network
flashfire926 said:
DialgaMarine said:
Better than what happened with Crackdown3, Sea of Thieves, Ashen, and State of Decay 2. The way I see, Sony announces early to clarify that their studios aren’t just sitting on their asses.

Also, I see no reason why Ghost won’t be an early 2019 title, considering it’s been in development since Second Son launches.

Just because MS does it do doesn't make it okay. MS and Sony, and also Square Enix, should stop announcing games before they're even started.

edit: I don't see people saying retro studios are "sitting on their asses" because they haven't revealed their game yet. And that's only one example.

I don’t think Sony has ever announced a game before its even started development. All the games he listed were confirmed to be in development for at least a year before official announcement. 

Also, people don’t say that because Retro has announced they’re working on something, just not what. More often than not, Sony uses an actual game announcement. 

0331 Happiness is a belt-fed weapon

Intrinsic said:
wait.... GOW was announced in 2014???!!!!

Anyways, I don,t mind the current shstem sony has going... but only becauae its consistent.

Year 1 announce game A
Year 2 announce game B show gameplay or more of game A
Year 3 announce game C, release game A show more of game B.......

can't really argue qoth that

Problem is it's more like:

Year 1: Announce games A, B and C.
Year 2: Announce games D, E, F, G, H and I. Show games A, B and C.
Year 3: Announce game J. Show games A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H and I. Maybe release one of them.

B O I

As long as it releases within two years of its announcement, then I’m fine with it. Anything longer than two years is frustrating unless there’s good reason for the delay.

They have done it at least since PS3, so it isn't now in the second half of PS4 gen...

Also that is because the fans keep pushing for grand E3 with a lot of announcements.

In the end I don't have any issue, I won't be charged anything for the early teasing and don't suffer from such ansiety that knowing and waiting for 4 years will drive me crazy.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network

The truth is that most games get announced far too early across the board, regardless of the publisher.

Someone call a waa mbulance I mean really you don't want to know what's in the pipeline for games, I do whether it is 2 years or 1, they do this with movies all the time. By the time they film and edit and what not its 2 years. I suspect then you should avoid announcements besides lots of other games previously announced will be out while waiting.

Valve could announce "We are officially developing a new Orange Box with Dota 3, Team Fortress 3, Portal 3 and Half Life 3, it should release in around 2 or 3 years and we'll keep you updated on our progress", and people would complain and insult them "Why did you tell us? We can't wait for a game! You have to tell us as late as possible because our poor little hearts can't take the anticipation! WTF is this announcement?"...

Sony is pretty reliable about getting their announced games out within a few years, with obvious exceptions. If anyone deserves to be called out for early announcements, it should probably be Square Enix.

They can get feedback from the consumer early enough to actually change the game. If they unveiled a game months before release, and there was something the consumer did not like about it, it would be way too late to change.

Predicted 15+ million lifetime-sales for God of War:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=234612&page=1