By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - 78 year old arrested for murder of burglar, *Update: Cleared of all charge but still faces strife,

78 year olds self defence stabbing was

Justified. 26 74.29%

Unjustified. 3 8.57%

Unsure. 6 17.14%

Comments, other, me no give a shit... 0 0%

Total:35
VGPolyglot said:
contestgamer said:

I think you guys are debating something besides the point. He broke in to your home and is trying to steal something. Killing him should be 100% legal when he's trying to take something that is yours. There have been studies that have shown that public executions and cutting off of limbs for shop lifting/thievery have lead to reductions in those crimes in past societies. When someone breaks in to your home they know that there's a chance they will die. Whenever you do something that you know may result in such a consequence then you've essentially signed a liability waver for whatever happens.

So, you support public executions?

I support whatever the data says is effective. All crimes, except murder, have been falling in the Philipines since the executions of drug dealers and other criminals for example. 

Around the Network
contestgamer said:
VGPolyglot said:

So, you support public executions?

I support whatever the data says is effective. All crimes, except murder, have been falling in the Philipines since the executions of drug dealers and other criminals for example. 

Well, I guess another way to just make the data look better is to reduce the reporting of crimes.

It's bull .u have a right to defend ur home .I have a nice 12 gauge shotgun because I will shot who ever trys to do this

VGPolyglot said:
contestgamer said:

Well, I guess another way to just make the data look better is to reduce the reporting of crimes.

I think it's logical that when you punish crime in a public and gruesome way it will lead to a reduction of it because no one wants to be the next guy out there. And studies bear out that cutting off of limbs reduces shoplifting. Deterrents work but they need to be severe and visually disgusting enough.

contestgamer said:
VGPolyglot said:

I think it's logical that when you punish crime in a public and gruesome way it will lead to a reduction of it because no one wants to be the next guy out there. And studies bear out that cutting off of limbs reduces shoplifting. Deterrents work but they need to be severe and visually disgusting enough.

But if people are desperate enough they're not going to be thinking about the consequences because they already see their situation as hopeless. The best way to reduce it is by making them not feel the need to do it in the first place.

Around the Network
John2290 said:

I'm rather confused as to why he is being arrested here, it'll be interested to see if he is convicted and sentenced. British  and many other western countries need to update their laws in this regard especially in home defence cases.

http://www.thejournal.ie/london-stabbing-3940100-Apr2018/?amp=1

In Ireland we have had a few wins for the freedoms of people defending their selves, family and property in recent years with some clear prescientant made for the future but this could go anyway in the ever regressing UK.

Police everywhere in the world have to investigate otherwise you get cases where someone invites another person to their home and kills them claiming self defence from a forced entry, in this case the police have found it's a genuine self defence so have let him go.

Stabistan 2018

numberwang said:

Stabistan 2018

Did you mean to post this in the YT shooting thread?

The purpose of the courts is largely to figure out how to handle complicated questions like this, so until a verdict comes out, I see little reason to react one way or the other about this.

To me it is simple. The burglar unlawfully entered this man's home with ill intent. If he wouldn't have been there, he wouldn't have died. No charges are necessary.

Check out my art blog: http://jon-erich-art.blogspot.com