By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Amazon U.S. April bestsellers and general Amazon-based discussion

jason1637 said:
God of War 4 wont beat smash but i think it will be the ebst selling God of War. I'm expecting 8-9m lifetim

I agree with you,I think 8 millions lifetime for god of war is great enough.

Around the Network
alejollorente10 said:

For the first time, since the announcement that the remaster was coming out, the Dark Souls version of PS4 has surpassed the Switch version in the top 100 of amazon. Sure, after today's announcement is something more normal. Probably many people have canceled the Switch version and replaced it with the PS4 version. Then I do not want to see Bandai Namco crying if the game has poor sales in Switch.

The only winner here is Sony and Microsoft who will now get extra sales 

Ryng_Tolu said:

People are talking about the possibility of Gow4 outselling Smash 5?

God of War sales (as of 2012)

God of War - 4.62 million
God of War 2 - 4.25 million
God of War 3 - 5.20 million

Super Smash Bros sales (as of 2017)

Super Smash Bros - 5.55 million
Super Smash Bros. Melee - 7.41 million
Super Smash Bros. Brawl - 13.25 million
Super Smash Bros. 4 - 14.51 million

First, let's already start saying that the best selling GoW game isn't even as big as the worst selling Smash game, which was also the first...

Second, no doubt both series had a growh, but we are in a different level there, like, God of War was selling pretty much 4/5 million for game, with GOW3 being the best selling, and the new God of War has a new formula which will help to be way bigger... it may possible sell 10 million or more, not saying it can't.

But Smash? I mean, let's start saying EVERY GAME sold better than the previus entry. But the true story of smash is pretty much that every game has something which hold down the sales.

First, Smash 64, easy to understand, it was the first entry and as a new IP it wasn't that big. (even though it included famous IP, but people were not confident with the gameplay)

Smash melee, well outside of the fact that it had A LOT of new mechanics, and was 100 times better than Smash 64, it was the launch game of a console, which surely helped the sales. What didn't help? The fact that the console was the gamecube. On a biggest console, it could have sold SO much more...

Brawl, It comes after amazing word of mouch from Melee, and on a BIG userbase. So far all good. What went wrong? Bad word of mouth, for reasons that most Smash fans already know. The game the biggest launch ever for a Nintendo game, it was huge (2.7 million in one month in USA, 800K first week in Japan ecc) , but the legs were pretty bad for a Nintendo game, indeed with a launch like this people would have expect way more (like 20 million considering the big success of the Wii and the big launch, some people were predicting it to outsell GTA IV lifetime) and it only stopped at 13 million.

Smash 4, the good thing is that it comes on 2 platforms. The bad thing is that the combined sales of the 2 platforms are still below the Wii, and also it comes after the not so good reception of Brawl. It was Smash, so it still has a very strong launch, but nowhere as big as Brawl. Guess what? In the end, the game was able to outsell Smash Brawl, and become the biggest game of the franchise. Smaller launch, but good word of mouch helped it for having better legs.

Now, Smash 5. The "bad thing" is that it won't have 2 versions... but i don't think it will hurt sales so much. The good things, however:

• It comes after Smash 4, which had a good word of mouth
  • Literally every Smash sold better than the previus one, the series is growing every games
  • It's on the Switch, which is most likely gonna be the best selling console of a Smash game, or at least super close to the Wii
  • Literally every Nintendo series had a big growh on Switch. It is just looks like Nintendo IP are stronger than ever right now, and if Mario 3D can ship 9 million in 2 months, what can we expect from Smash?
  • It will be good? Why not? Basically, Smash 5 could be what Brawl should have been. If Smash 5 has good word of mouth, comes out after Smash 4 and on a successful platform, it will do insane.
So, in conclusion... Smash 4 should end at 15 million units (cause is still selling) and i don't see Smash 5 selling less than that. At worst, it will sell as much as Smash 4, but right now i'm thinking 20 million could happen, depend on the game itself.
And no, i just don't see GoW4 being close to Smash 5, even if it surpass 10 million.

While I find it unfortunate for Brawl, since I really like Brawl for what it was, you make really good points here and its hard to dispute the sales of Smash in comparison to God of War.

I can see this new God of War doing really well, likely become the best selling game in the series. Though it'll be a tough battle for it against Smash Switch, even if the Switch game is just an enhanced port.

God of War I and II sold around 4+ million, on a console that sold over 150 million LT. 

I know some will point out Uncharted 4 just reaching the 10 million mark and will compare this new iteration of God of War to the reinvention of Zelda through Breath of the Wild, but are we really expecting God of War to sell above 10 million just because it's a reinvention of the series?

Don't get me wrong, it will sell well and I'm very intrigued by the game, though I've only played a little bit of GoWII. I'm just not gonna predict that God of War will reach 10 million that easily or outsell Smash Bros. Switch. Smash Switch would have to really screw up in the roster and gameplay department in order to fall apart. 

zorg1000 said:
tbone51 said:

Only goalpost. Look above your last post Ryng put out a good analysis for you. 

I too think GoW will do something similar to BotW and sell do wonders for the franchise. Hell it can break 10mil too.

That said when it comes to smash you dont have a clue what your talking about

He did something similar with Animal Crossing recently as well. He wanted to use the GC/Wii versions that sold ~3-4m to prove AC isnt that big but would ignore the DS/3DS entries that did ~12m each.

what the heck is this? when you are comparing franchises you have to compare each entry in the franchise, you were saying its bigger then 3d  mario, which didn't make no sense. 

quickrick said:
tbone51 said:

Omg what the hell! Why do you bring up points that no brings up? 

That said MK8D is a port thats going to sell at least 15mil lifetime.... How in the hell do you think a new MK would of sold if a port sold that much lol? If switch does close to 100mil a mk9 could do 30mil+

umm being port is a huge benefit,  because mario kart can come out so early in the system life time, and there are very little options, plus most who owned wiiu were hardcore nintendo fans i'm sure most would double dip for a portable version, not to mention the extra modes and 1080p. zelda on wii was a GC port yet it destroyed skyward in sales, also mario galaxy came out when wii install base was samll yet it out sold mario galaxy 2 by a huge amount. when ever mario kart 9 comes out it won't outsell mario kart 8.

I have no doubts that it will, comfortably. 

DON'T WIN ME CHIBI BUDDY DON'T WIN ME.

ANIMAL CROSSING NEW LEAF FRIEND CODE:- 5129 1175 1029. MESSAGE ME.
ANDY MURRAY:- GRAND SLAM WINNER!

In my opinion the N64 was not just the best console of the 5th gen but, to this day the best console ever created!

Around the Network
peachbuggy said:
quickrick said:

umm being port is a huge benefit,  because mario kart can come out so early in the system life time, and there are very little options, plus most who owned wiiu were hardcore nintendo fans i'm sure most would double dip for a portable version, not to mention the extra modes and 1080p. zelda on wii was a GC port yet it destroyed skyward in sales, also mario galaxy came out when wii install base was samll yet it out sold mario galaxy 2 by a huge amount. when ever mario kart 9 comes out it won't outsell mario kart 8.

nintendo will probably release it in like 4 years from now.

quickrick said:
peachbuggy said:

nintendo will probably release it in like 4 years from now.

Yeah, 3 or 4 years probably. In that time the Switch will have a much bigger userbase. One that will be hungry for an all-new Mario kart. Speaking as a Wii u and Switch owner, i refused to buy MK8D new or at full price and grew tired of it pretty quickly and i doubt i'm the only Switch owner who thinks this way. Now, Mario kart 9, that's a whole new ball game.

DON'T WIN ME CHIBI BUDDY DON'T WIN ME.

ANIMAL CROSSING NEW LEAF FRIEND CODE:- 5129 1175 1029. MESSAGE ME.
ANDY MURRAY:- GRAND SLAM WINNER!

In my opinion the N64 was not just the best console of the 5th gen but, to this day the best console ever created!

Sam1994 said:

jason1637 said:
God of War 4 wont beat smash but i think it will be the ebst selling God of War. I'm expecting 8-9m lifetim

While I understand your thinking, and I'd have actually agreed with you at one point. But that was before I saw the 7.6 million sales for Horizon. I see no reason at all that GoW couldn't outsell Horizon. It's a more iconic IP, it reviewed substantially better, and It currently has more preorders than Uncharted 4 according to NPD insiders.

What a franchise sells on PS3 is absolutely no indication of what it will do on PS4. A 4 million+ seller on PS3 was a megaton, reserved for GoW, Uncharted, Gran Turismo, MGS4, where as Bloodborne will even manage to do that on PS4, and that's a souls game.

Given that a first party game on PS4 is critically acclaimed and has good marketing, it should do about twice the numbers of a game in the same franchise on PS3.

Smash 5 will be the best selling switch game and best selling game PERIOD this year.

It will destroy red dead.

LethalP said:
Sam1994 said:

While I understand your thinking, and I'd have actually agreed with you at one point. But that was before I saw the 7.6 million sales for Horizon. I see no reason at all that GoW couldn't outsell Horizon. It's a more iconic IP, it reviewed substantially better, and It currently has more preorders than Uncharted 4 according to NPD insiders.

What a franchise sells on PS3 is absolutely no indication of what it will do on PS4. A 4 million+ seller on PS3 was a megaton, reserved for GoW, Uncharted, Gran Turismo, MGS4, where as Bloodborne will even manage to do that on PS4, and that's a souls game.

Given that a first party game on PS4 is critically acclaimed and has good marketing, it should do about twice the numbers of a game in the same franchise on PS3.

I think 8m for God of War because GoW seems more like most sales are from North America while Horizon did really good WW and in NA.