By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PAL Charts week 15 (2008) GT5 prologue VS Mario Kart

ioi said:
Mario Kart should easily be number one this week in "others" as a whole but it may be closer in some countries than others.

Here in the UK I am expecting something like 75k for Mario Kart compared with 120k for Prologue first week (and 70k week 2, 45k week 3 which will be this week) - although of course I may be wrong!

Is that 75k for Mario Kart based on some early numbers you already received or just a guess?

Around the Network
ioi said:
Just a guess at this point. No early numbers yet I'm afraid. Will let you know when I have something. I'd be suprised if it didn't do Galaxy-level numbers and it has been promoted a lot here in the UK.

It should be able to do Galaxy's numbers, didn't that title have supply issues around launch? Or maybe that was only a problem in Holland and not the UK, but still with the increased userbase it should be able to top Galaxy's numbers.

so something like 250 for MK and 175 for prologue?

kamil said:
What do you mean by "Not obvious Mario Kart will win in all countries, even in UK."?

During previous iterations of MK Nintendo had larger market share in countries other than UK. I still expect MK to be #1 in UK, but maybe not by as much percentage wise as some other European countries.

SpartanFX said:
I am sorry but why are we comapring MK with GT5?
They are not in same class by any means,,,
Both games are good but have totally different audiences

MK is cartoony and more intresting to kids and girls and some causal gamers

where as GT5p is made for car enthusiast with HIGH value production

So I fail to see why we are comparing these two

They'll almost certainly be the top two selling games in PAL this week, so that is why we are comparing their sales. No-one is comparing their gameplay in this thread, afterall, this is the sales section.

Anyway, MK should be #1 most places this week, but maybe not in Italy or some of the Scandinavian countries.

Around the Network
ioi said:
Just a guess at this point. No early numbers yet I'm afraid. Will let you know when I have something. I'd be suprised if it didn't do Galaxy-level numbers and it has been promoted a lot here in the UK.

I would think MK would outsell SMG by at least 100k in others(first week), the Wii has a bigger userbase now, and MK is huge in Europe.

I think that Lombard is saying that GTPro could beat MK this week, he is not comparing first weeks. I think that MK will  fall just short of GTPro for week 1. But lifetime sales are no competition.

I am going to call 325-375 for MK in others this week. 400-425k in Japan. Maybe 500k in NA.

End of 2009 Predictions (Set, January 1st 2009)

Wii- 72 million   3rd Year Peak, better slate of releases

360- 37 million   Should trend down slightly after 3rd year peak

PS3- 29 million  Sales should pick up next year, 3rd year peak and price cut

bigjon said:
ioi said:

I would think MK would outsell SMG by at least 100k in others(first week), the Wii has a bigger userbase now, and MK is huge in Europe.

I think that Lombard is saying that GTPro could beat MK this week, he is not comparing first weeks. I think that MK will fall just short of GTPro for week 1. But lifetime sales are no competition.

I am going to call 325-375 for MK in others this week. 400-425k in Japan. Maybe 500k in NA.

Sincerly, before viewing amazon.co.uk all the days this week, i thought mario kart will beat gran turismo 5 prologue easily during the week 15.

But, never i see mario kart outsell gran turismo 5 prologue this week at amazon.co.uk.

So, because i'm surprised of that, i ask me if a surprise is possible in UK.

But, all the UK online retailer seems to don't have the game in stock, so i may be very wrong.

In France, germany, i'm sure mario kart will outsell gran turismo 5 prologue during the week 15. In Italy, the country where the wii has never good software sales, i think gran turismo 5 prologue will beat mario kart during the week 15.

In other countries, as new zealand, it could also be possible.

We will see.

But sure, mario kart will not be number one in all countries as gran turismo 5 prologue has done (except Ireland).

Edit: at this moment, mario kart outsell gran turismo 5 prologue at amazon.co.uk, so ...

You do realize that Amazon UK wouldn't even take pre-orders for MK because they sold through their allocation. It may be open for ordering today, but it wasn't just a day or two ago.

todays sales count for 1st week numbers correct?

End of 2009 Predictions (Set, January 1st 2009)

Wii- 72 million   3rd Year Peak, better slate of releases

360- 37 million   Should trend down slightly after 3rd year peak

PS3- 29 million  Sales should pick up next year, 3rd year peak and price cut

@bigjon: With exception for Netherlands yes.