By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS4: GOW Difficulty Changes Enemy Attack Patterns

This is definitely worthy of it's own thread in my opinion. I'm likely to go with 'Give me balanced experience' to begin with. What about you?:

Difficulty
Before starting, a player has to decide how demanding the game should be.

God of War’s four difficulty settings includes one that it is so intense that it has a separate save and can’t be changed after the game is started in that mode. It allows players to play the most challenging mode without having to sacrifice to play through the game’s other difficulties, which includes one that is meant to essentially covey the story.

And that fourth, hardest setting isn’t simply an algorithmic increase in difficulty, God of War creative director Cory Barlog says. “We did a ton of stuff to make it a genuine challenge, not a cynical increase. Enemies are all changed up. We changed the attack patterns of things; it’s hugely different.”

The decision to include the easiest setting, which is called Story Mode, was meant to appeal to players who just want to enjoy the world and “not get beat up every two seconds,” Barlog says.

And once players finish the game, no matter what difficulty they’re playing, they can keep playing the game, continue to experience the world that they likely haven’t fully examined.

https://www.rollingstone.com/glixel/features/hands-on-with-god-of-war-evocative-gaming-bliss-w518039

“Give Me God Of War is for those who want the game as difficult as possible, requiring god-like reflexes and strategy”

The other difficulty modes on offer are “Give Me A Story, “Give Me A Balanced Experience” and “Give Me A Challenge”. Given I was playing on the Balanced Experience option, and still died several times, I am in fear to think what “Give Me God of War” difficulty would feel like.
Last edited by GribbleGrunger - on 21 March 2018

The PS5 Exists. 

Around the Network

So whats the news? Having multiple difficulties? Or that a different difficulty makes it harder, im totally unfamiliar with the concept of difficulties

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

kirby007 said:
So whats the news? Having multiple difficulties? Or that a different difficulty makes it harder, im totally unfamiliar with the concept of difficulties

Read the OP.

The PS5 Exists. 

GribbleGrunger said:
kirby007 said:

Read the OP.

I did this is the same concept for killzone

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

kirby007 said:

I did this is the same concept for killzone

I fail to see what Killzone has to do with GOW. This is just good news because it gives us more reasons to replay the game. Usually enemies just get harder to kill but having a different move set means we can't predict how they're going to react in the second playthrough. 

The PS5 Exists. 

Around the Network

Very nice!

Predicted 15+ million lifetime-sales for God of War:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=234612&page=1

Even though I loved the classic GOW style, it seems as though Santa Monica are doing a great job on expanding the game. A lot of hype building for this now.

Jabba89 said:
Even though I loved the classic GOW style, it seems as though Santa Monica are doing a great job on expanding the game. A lot of hype building for this now.

I'm waiting on new info concerning photo mode. Corey has said he wants to include it but only if they can do something 'cool' with it. Hopefully it will be there at launch but I wouldn't mind betting it will be via a patch, which is a good way of re-promoting a game post launch. 

The PS5 Exists. 

GribbleGrunger said:

I'm waiting on new info concerning photo mode. Corey has said he wants to include it but only if they can do something 'cool' with it. Hopefully it will be there at launch but I wouldn't mind betting it will be via a patch, which is a good way of re-promoting a game post launch. 

GOW games alway had really epic set pieces you transitioned through where the camera zoomed out and you got to appreciate the scale of things.  I can imagine if they still have parts like that it will be awesome for photo mode.

Jabba89 said:
GribbleGrunger said:

GOW games alway had really epic set pieces you transitioned through where the camera zoomed out and you got to appreciate the scale of things.  I can imagine if they still have parts like that it will be awesome for photo mode.

They do have parts like that but none of those that played the recent 2 hour demo are allowed to spoil what the first one is. You also have to remember the whole game is in one take with no cuts, so those epic scenes are going to flow like never before. 

The PS5 Exists.