By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Xi Jinping Wants War

He also said he doesn't seek to expand.

It feels more like a threat to Hong Kong and Taiwan.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Around the Network
CaptainExplosion said:
vivster said:
He also said he doesn't seek to expand.

It feels more like a threat to Hong Kong and Taiwan.

True, but to me it feels like he's pointing a gun right at whoever he doesn't like, which may very well include Canada.

The US president does that too and it's not scary at all.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Hong Kong is already doomed. We also have to keep in mind, Taiwan and Hong Kong are very different situations. Hong Kong was on contract to be returned back to China. Taiwan is its own self-ruled island and never been touched by the Communists. Taiwan is officially The Republic of China, which is a different Government compared to The People's Republic of China. It is too late for China to take over Taiwan without massive war, and while they may talk big, they won't go to war. Why? Because Taiwan's own military is the 19th most powerful in the world. That is powerful for an island nation of 23.5 million people with land mass the size of one U.S. state. Not to mention, if war breaks out, Japan and U.S. will step in to help Taiwan. Therefore, war is unlikely to happen.

CaptainExplosion said:
vivster said:

The US president does that too and it's not scary at all.

Except Trump can be taken care of way more easily than a communist fanatic president for life.

Maybe Xi is a nice dictator. Stop judging people you have never met.

>Talks about the major geo-political standoff that has lasted for decades between China, Taiwan and Hong Kong

>"GASP!! XI WANTS TO INVADE CANADA!!!"

I'm not particularly sure how you reached this conclusion, but i'm just going to outright say that it isn't correct. Not only are Canada and China on relatively good terms, they have beneficial trade, are not positioned in the same ocean as China, and are both being hit with US Trade Tariffs.

Now, you could make the argument that this is also about the US, and I wouldn't deny that. Due to Mr Trumps
awkwardly aimed trade tariffs and other attempts to increasingly anger the Chinese as of late, you could see this as a demonstration that they wont back down so easily.

However, even in that scenario, I still refer to my first sentence. In that this is about the Taiwan situation, which is far more complex then "we will wage war on whoever we don't like". It's basically like the US split in 2 for 50 years, and both halves want to unify the country under their own terms; add in that both sides are completely different political spectrum's and you have a difficult situation.

Around the Network

Dude, real talk you need to chill regarding leaders and war. If a war was impending, it wouldn't be ignited by small talk like this. I think The US, Russia, and China all know what it would mean for a World War 3. Everyone would be dead and I don't think anyone would entertain such a thought. Just chill man. In the meantime if you really fear WW3, start building a bunker and buy Jim Bakers Buckets.

CaptainExplosion said:

That's what makes it worse. Trump's constant pissing off of China, China's nuclear arsenal, China's nationalistic ideals (even worse than America's), and the fact that my government has been kissing America's ass during EVERY MAJOR CONFLICT means China will go after us too.

Well they wouldn't go after you unless the Canadian government specifically declared war on the Chinese in partnership with America. However due to the US's recent actions, as well as the immense scale of a US/Sino War, I highly doubt your government would join in.

As for the nuclear arsenal, I wouldn't be afraid. The Chinese have the smallest arsenal out of the big three, as well as bragging far less about them then Russia or the US. I'm also pretty sure that there's a statement in the Chinese political constitution that states that they cannot fire a Nuclear Weapon unless one has been used on them for warfare purposes.

There would be a higher likelihood of getting hit by some futuristic railgun then a nuke.

Xeno555 said:
>Talks about the major geo-political standoff that has lasted for decades between China, Taiwan and Hong Kong

>"GASP!! XI WANTS TO INVADE CANADA!!!"

I'm not particularly sure how you reached this conclusion, but i'm just going to outright say that it isn't correct. Not only are Canada and China on relatively good terms, they have beneficial trade, are not positioned in the same ocean as China, and are both being hit with US Trade Tariffs.

Now, you could make the argument that this is also about the US, and I wouldn't deny that. Due to Mr Trumps
awkwardly aimed trade tariffs and other attempts to increasingly anger the Chinese as of late, you could see this as a demonstration that they wont back down so easily.

However, even in that scenario, I still refer to my first sentence. In that this is about the Taiwan situation, which is far more complex then "we will wage war on whoever we don't like". It's basically like the US split in 2 for 50 years, and both halves want to unify the country under their own terms; add in that both sides are completely different political spectrum's and you have a difficult situation.

Small correction: Canada is exempt from those tariffs pending a reworking of the NAFTA trade deal.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

Global capitalism has already ruined the viability of war, and no one wants to end up like Russia.

World War III was already waged by multinational corporations, and they've planted their golden arch flags on every continent.

Insidb said:
Global capitalism has already ruined the viability of war, and no one wants to end up like Russia.

World War III was already waged by multinational corporations, and they've planted their golden arch flags on every continent.

So much this.