By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Sea of Thieves - Metacritic/Review thread - Metascore: XBO - 69 (69 reviews) PC - 68 (23 reviews)

I definitely understand the scores, it's a "make your own fun"-experience and it only keeps being fun as long as you have people to make the journey fun with you. However, I love it, loved it ever since early alpha, made some friends through the game (someone in here mentioned that it was a pirate-themed chatroom, that made me laugh).

The Game is not perfect though, absolutely not, since launch I've been travelling the sea thinking of what works and what fails (for me) and there are quite a few things that fails but not to the point where it can't be fixed. I had enough great experiences in the alphas, betas and the past few days that I gladly threw $60 at it. It is by far one of my favorite multiplayer experiences I've had in a game and I hope I still think so in a month.

Around the Network

This game would have fared better if it was priced lower. I would say no more than $30 since its so barebone. If they do add the good content later, then charge for the other half then.
I dont see the point in these games as services costing $60 out the gate. I would rather they be super cheap, like free to $10, then with each content pack charge a small amount, like $5. They can do that for years. Would certainly review better.

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

What I've seen of the game on Twitch from both single players, 2 man crews, 4-man crews is that this game lack extremely much right now.

This game released atleast 1 year to early.

If it isn't turnbased it isn't worth playing   (mostly)

And shepherds we shall be,

For Thee, my Lord, for Thee. Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to Thee And teeming with souls shall it ever be. In Nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritūs Sancti. -----The Boondock Saints

After a month of nearly daily articles on Eurogamer hyping up the game I kinda expected more. Feels like another NMS situation and currently they're reporting server problems.

However, I enjoyed NMS a lot for over a month before the repetiveness got me.

Raviel said:
I definitely understand the scores, it's a "make your own fun"-experience and it only keeps being fun as long as you have people to make the journey fun with you. However, I love it, loved it ever since early alpha, made some friends through the game (someone in here mentioned that it was a pirate-themed chatroom, that made me laugh).

The Game is not perfect though, absolutely not, since launch I've been travelling the sea thinking of what works and what fails (for me) and there are quite a few things that fails but not to the point where it can't be fixed. I had enough great experiences in the alphas, betas and the past few days that I gladly threw $60 at it. It is by far one of my favorite multiplayer experiences I've had in a game and I hope I still think so in a month.

Don't talk nonsense. The net has spoken

You are not aloud to like this game :P

Around the Network
Naum said:
What I've seen of the game on Twitch from both single players, 2 man crews, 4-man crews is that this game lack extremely much right now.

This game released atleast 1 year to early.

2nd day and it right now has 4800 people viewing it on Twitch.
even yesterday when it launched, it had like 4-5 other titles with more viewers.

Right now Fortnite has 100k+, and league of legends like 160k.
Doesnt seem like people kept intrest.

Ouch!
Don’t know why I expected anything different. Does MS have a goal with Xbox, real talk? It seems they just in it now because they have the money burn.
Like what are you trying to achieve with Xbox MS?

why am I buying 1x over a PS4 and a NS?

Last edited by loy310 - on 22 March 2018

Xbox Tavern - 73

Sea of Thieves offers a stunning world for players to explore and uncover its secrets. It’s fun, often hilarious, and unique. Though, the lack of meaningful structure and its simplistic gameplay really do hurt the experience. The game needs to offer more than cosmetic stature and acquisition if it wants a lengthy lifespan. Still, this is one of the few exclusives that Microsoft can, and should, be proud of.

JRPGfan said:

2nd day and it right now has 4800 people viewing it on Twitch.
even yesterday when it launched, it had like 4-5 other titles with more viewers.

Right now Fortnite has 100k+, and league of legends like 160k.
Doesnt seem like people kept intrest.

You sure do like bringing up the Twitch numbers at convenient times.

• 19th - #1 with 197k viewers.
  • 20th - #1 with 247k viewers.
  • 21st - #2 with 148k viewers.
But it doesn't need to stay #1 and nobody is really saying it will, it just needs a steady viewership/player-base.

What's the problem of talking about the current number in Twitch? he is simply pointing out that the number of views plummeted like a stone in less than 1 week!

Also, I would get the "bringing up the Twitch numbers at convenient times" if this game had weeks or months, but that does not apply when talking about 1 day out of 4.

Currently under 38.000 views, on twitch

Edit. I saw this in reset era, and i needed to post this. I laughed hard at this one.

Last edited by Manlytears - on 22 March 2018

Fandom gave it a 60 score (3/5).

http://fandom.wikia.com/articles/sea-of-thieves-review-forced-to-float-your-own-boat

"it’s a game full of short-lived novelties. You can play an instrument! You can get drunk! There’s a dance emote! And… Wait, is that it? We expect more to be added over the game’s life cycle, but we have to judge it on its launch content."

"Just be aware going into this one that after a few outings, you’ve pretty much seen what Rare’s pirate epic has to offer. Sea of Thieves is a “make your own fun” game, but its difficult not to feel like the developers could’ve made a little more fun for you. Sail, stare at the water, and live the life of a corsair — ultimately, its longevity will come down to you and your crew"