4 5 3.97%

5 16 12.70%

6 2 1.59%

7 1 0.79%

8 1 0.79%

>8 34 26.98%

Total:126
Kai_Mao said:
Another really interesting video of the various uses of Labo from Nintendo.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1hMMINaIh5w

So can be a bit like making your own interactive minigames. Looks interesting and deeper than I first thought. I think that labo might have wider appeal than people (users in this forum) think.

Around the Network
Megiddo said: 

How many units do you think the variety kit and robot kit will sell by the end of 2018?

I would quite frankly be very surprised if they didn't both cross 3 million.

By the end of 2018 we'd expect there to be about 25 million Switches? Of those I would have thought that something between one in 7 and one in 5 will buy at least one kit, but obviously there's going to be a tailoff for the second kit so I think 5 million combined would be a fair guess.

The kit aren't where the big hobbyist scene will get interested ... they'll buy one set and then focus on the garage stuff. That means that even if it's very successful it will probably only be moderately successful for Nintendo itself. But I think that it will be a minor system-seller for Switch, so they'll benefit there.

I find there is nothing quite so sad as people wanting something to fail simply because they aren't the target audience. And there is a lot of people in this thread who fall into this behaviour.

Now that said, "will it fail" is an entirely different question. And, as others have noted, that's a hard question without defining what constitutes a "flop". One million in sales is still a significant benchmark in video gaming. OP seems to think that is about what it will sell. So, would that make Xenoblade Chronicles 2 (and all of its predecessors) a flop? Obviously not. those games serve niche markets.

So too does Labo. The problem is, it serves a market that doesn't exist in console space. So we have no baseline to judge against for determining how big the market might be. I suspect Nintendo thinks this will be a relatively big seller. Arbitrarily, I am going to suggest they might be happy if it sells 2-3 million units combined. And I think they reach that figure.

DreadPirateRoberts said:
I find there is nothing quite so sad as people wanting something to fail simply because they aren't the target audience. And there is a lot of people in this thread who fall into this behaviour.

Now that said, "will it fail" is an entirely different question. And, as others have noted, that's a hard question without defining what constitutes a "flop". One million in sales is still a significant benchmark in video gaming. OP seems to think that is about what it will sell. So, would that make Xenoblade Chronicles 2 (and all of its predecessors) a flop? Obviously not. those games serve niche markets.

So too does Labo. The problem is, it serves a market that doesn't exist in console space. So we have no baseline to judge against for determining how big the market might be. I suspect Nintendo thinks this will be a relatively big seller. Arbitrarily, I am going to suggest they might be happy if it sells 2-3 million units combined. And I think they reach that figure.

I couldnt prevent myself from hearing Cary Elwes' voice while reading your post.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network
Hynad said:
quickrick said:

they had a entire direct dedicated to labo, of course advertising won't start this early, but i expect a huge push near release.

So... They haven't "been pushing it like crazy", contrary to your claim. Barely 3 minutes of footage when they announced it doesn't qualify as "pushing it like crazy".

Thanks for clearing that up. I would suggest you refrain from making stuff up like that. It doesn't help your case at all.

yea pushing it like crazy doesn't have to mean advertising it like crazy. it's clearly  there main focus, since reveal, more then any other game for 2018, if your gonna mindlessly try to take a shot at me every time you get a chance, please stop quoting me, and ignore me.  

They should really push it. Its new different and exiting. Some might use the word gimmick and I would too, but in a good way.

Interesting to see how it does.

zorg1000 said:
AlfredoTurkey said:

All I'm saying is this. A focus group is a focus group. You can show it to select people at a mall and have them enjoy something and then release it to market and still have it fall on its face. They are going to have to figure out a way to make millions of people who haven't even heard of it yet aware that it exists and then to make them want to buy it with nothing but advertisements. That is so much harder than a focus group of select people.

One is super easy. One is super hard. I haven't seen anything yet to indicate that this is going to be anything more than a niche, nerd toy. If they manage to sell it to families and kids in mass, fine. I really don't care. I'm not the target demographic anyway. But I personally haven't convinced that it's going to happen that way.

I do agree with most of what you just said, but the thing is thats not really what we were talking about.

All i did was dispute your original claim that reception has been mixed by stating that its been extremely positive among the target audience.

I know that doesnt automatically mean it will be a massive success but thats not what my argument was.

But I never SAID that. I said the response was mixed 50/50. You inferred I meant the focus groups when what I meant was us, forum dwellers. Maybe I should have been more clear originally? But that's what I meant.

AlfredoTurkey said:
zorg1000 said:

I do agree with most of what you just said, but the thing is thats not really what we were talking about.

All i did was dispute your original claim that reception has been mixed by stating that its been extremely positive among the target audience.

I know that doesnt automatically mean it will be a massive success but thats not what my argument was.

But I never SAID that. I said the response was mixed 50/50. You inferred I meant the focus groups when what I meant was us, forum dwellers. Maybe I should have been more clear originally? But that's what I meant.

I knew you were talking about forum dwellers and not focus groups hence why i said the reception from people who arent the the target audience (forum dwellers) is irrelevent and that the reception from the target audience (people who matter) has been very positive.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

i mean... ok Labo is not THAT thing for the People in this Forum... but we are not targeted... i think many People fortget that Labot is not a Game... its a Brand... if it sell well it CAN outsell even the the Switch Numbers... i dont think this will happen but we have 2 kits in April and there will most likey be 1-2 more around holiyday(and maybe more to come)...

don't underestimate the casual crowd