By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Belgian man convicted for sexism, will be jailed if fine isn't paid, Under new law.

I find this...

Funny. 10 16.39%

Absurd. 20 32.79%

Scary. 16 26.23%

Sexist. 7 11.48%

Indifferent/comments... 8 13.11%

Total:61
xxbrothawizxx63 said:
Slippery slope is a logical fallacy for a reason. You shouldn't be able to insult someone in this manner without possible recourse.

He was wrong, and he got fined. Seems simple to me. This thought police crap is ridiculous even if I understand the concern.

Freedom of speech is the right to say whatever you want, not the right not to be offended. As Jordan Peterson said, in order to think, you have to risk offense. Just as an example, your complete disregard for the freedom to say anything that doesn't directly incite  violence (such as threats, or suggesting mob justice) has greatly offended me. Do I now hold the right to hold you legally accountable for your post?

No, because an adult can deal with offense. That includes offense from offensive views, such as racism or sexism. It's not the right of the government to compel speech, even if that speech is heinous.

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

Around the Network
o_O.Q said:
what also baffles me about this is that am i really supposed to believe that the guys in this thread championing what happened to this guy have never had a disagreement and cursed severely at someone else?

Same, along with the fact that a few people here are seriously lumping in talking back to a female police officer with ACTUAL crimes, which is not only wrongheaded it's potentially dangerous. Just glad certain people here aren't in charge of things, of we'd be living in a very scary society indeed.. :/

Fascinating how some will so willingly give up their power to authoritarian governments. I always found it difficult to believe that Fascist and Communist governments can get enough support of the masses to rise to prominence, but then I see something like this, and suddenly it becomes easier to believe..

"We hold these truths to be self-evident - all men and women created by the, go-you know.. you know the thing!" - Joe Biden

o_O.Q said:
what also baffles me about this is that am i really supposed to believe that the guys in this thread championing what happened to this guy have never had a disagreement and cursed severely at someone else?

The police abuse their powers, I don't know what else you want me to say. However, it's hard to do that in a situation like this where overreaching police are fused with women's rights, because there is still sexism that exists and so I'm mainly focusing on those who are trying to disregard the issues that women face.

Their monthly issue?

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

kirby007 said:
Their monthly issue?

If that had been the case there would had been blood for sure.

Around the Network
xxbrothawizxx63 said:
Slippery slope is a logical fallacy for a reason. You shouldn't be able to insult someone in this manner without possible recourse.

He was wrong, and he got fined. Seems simple to me. This thought police crap is ridiculous even if I understand the concern.

It's only a logical fallacy if it's unsubstantiated. 

Trust me, it is going to get far, far worst. It's the new religion.

It will soon be an offense to offend anyone.

Everyone will have a "problem" that they will claim has been abused. Like someone claiming mental illness, which everyone seems to be suffering from these days, even if they are not.

I have seen it. I know it. I had to spend a day in court for research.

"You can't talk to me like that, I have -insert illness here-". "It's an offense to talk to me like that".

Rogerioandrade said:
A fine for offending a police officer ? That´s ok. But jail ? That´s extreme.

It seems that the next step in our society is bringing back the inquisition.

What else would they have to do? If someone refuses to pay a high fine, jailtime is the logical consequence.

VGPolyglot said:
o_O.Q said:

The police abuse their powers, I don't know what else you want me to say. However, it's hard to do that in a situation like this where overreaching police are fused with women's rights, because there is still sexism that exists and so I'm mainly focusing on those who are trying to disregard the issues that women face.

"because there is still sexism that exists"

are you going to treat your girlfriend the same way you treat the men in your life?

well if that's not the case then you're part of the "problem"

sexism is never going to be something that is eradicated... i'm not even sure that it can be reduced because a lot of the so called "solutions" for sexism involve discrimination against men

furthermore even if we ignore the fact that its not going away... sexism is not something that the majority of people even want to be eradicated since you have to discriminate between the two sexes to choose a sexual partner for example

these discussions are framed in such a ridiculously simplistic delusional way that i shudder to think of where we'll be in a decade or so

o_O.Q said:
VGPolyglot said:

"because there is still sexism that exists"

are you going to treat your girlfriend the same way you treat the men in your life?

well if that's not the case then you're part of the "problem"

sexism is never going to be something that is eradicated... i'm not even sure that it can be reduced because a lot of the so called "solutions" for sexism involve discrimination against men

furthermore even if we ignore the fact that its not going away... sexism is not something that the majority of people even want to be eradicated since you have to discriminate between the two sexes to choose a sexual partner for example

these discussions are framed in such a ridiculously simplistic delusional way that i shudder to think of where we'll be in a decade or so

I don't have a girlfriend so I can't answer that question.