By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Stephen Hawking has Died at 76

Stephen Hawking, famed British Theoretical Physicist, has died at age 76 -family members confirm. He died in his home in Cambridge. 

From article:

His children, Lucy, Robert and Tim, said: "We are deeply saddened that our beloved father passed away today.

"He was a great scientist and an extraordinary man whose work and legacy will live on for many years.” They praised his "courage and persistence" and said his "brilliance and humour" inspired people across the world.

"He once said, 'It would not be much of a universe if it wasn't home to the people you love.' We will miss him forever," they said.”

Source: http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-43396008

Background: 

Stephen Hawking was a world renowned theoretical physicist who is widely known for his book A Brief History Of Time. I’d write more but I’m tired. And damnit, why’d he have to die?! Amazing person

A notable trait of this famed Professor was his ALS. To help donate against ALS, I’ll leave a link here: http://www.alsa.org/donate/

Last edited by StarOcean - on 14 March 2018

Around the Network

Literally at the same time as me. Xd

Made a bet with LipeJJ and HylianYoshi that the XB1 will reach 30 million before Wii U reaches 15 million. Loser has to get avatar picked by winner for 6 months (or if I lose, either 6 months avatar control for both Lipe and Hylian, or my patrick avatar comes back forever).

barneystinson69 said:

I’m sad that he died now >~> I was worried this day might come sooner rather than later because of his condition

StarOcean said:
barneystinson69 said:

I’m sad that he died now >~> I was worried this day might come sooner rather than later because of his condition

Well he lived a long life given his condition, but it's a damn shame. Great loss for the scientific community.

Made a bet with LipeJJ and HylianYoshi that the XB1 will reach 30 million before Wii U reaches 15 million. Loser has to get avatar picked by winner for 6 months (or if I lose, either 6 months avatar control for both Lipe and Hylian, or my patrick avatar comes back forever).

barneystinson69 said:
StarOcean said:

Well he lived a long life given his condition, but it's a damn shame. Great loss for the scientific community.

Marks another cool person I’ll never get to meet, unfortunately!

Around the Network

sad times.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

barneystinson69 said:

Yours was a margin faster, but Star's OP is a bit more detailed, so I'm leaving this one open. Just an FYI if you're scratching your head.

Anyways sad news...he was an amazing guy that lived a long life. He was a real fighter for sure. Rest in Peace Professor Hawk.

NNID: Zephyr25 / PSN: Zephyr--25 / Switch: SW-4450-3680-7334

Machina said:
barneystinson69 said:

Yeah he lived a lot longer than anyone expected him to. Still a shame.

I’m glad he was given the time he had to help enrich science and the world at large. 

Ugh, that's sad. He outlived his prognosis by about half a century, but I'd really just come to expect him to keep living. His tragic circumstances really served to enhance his public persona, and the way he managed to remain active within the scientific community and maintain his sense of humor was really inspiring. As a kid he seemed almost more like a mythological being or something of that sort when I'd see him on Star Trek and elsewhere.

I'll always love him for how he took the time to simplify and explain extraordinarily complicated concepts in a way that we mere laymen could understand and appreciate. Very sad to see him go.

Johnw1104 said:
Ugh, that's sad. He outlived his prognosis by about half a century, but I'd really just come to expect him to keep living. His tragic circumstances really served to enhance his public persona, and the way he managed to remain active within the scientific community and maintain his sense of humor was really inspiring. As a kid he seemed almost more like a mythological being or something of that sort when I'd see him on Star Trek and elsewhere.

I'll always love him for how he took the time to simplify and explain extraordinarily complicated concepts in a way that we mere laymen could understand and appreciate. Very sad to see him go.

Definitely. It’s hard not to appreciate what he has done and how he’s help enhance our understanding of science. I knew he’d eventually die -but I never knew, or wanted to know, when. I guess in my head I assumed he’d live to be 85-90ish even if it was highly unlikely.