By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Switch 1st/2nd party 2017 vs 2018

Splatoon > Everything, so even if Animal Crossing and Pikmin come this year, I'd still have to give it to 2017. Only if Pokemon also released would I actually have to think about it. 2018's line-up is definitely solid, but Labo and Wii U ports I'm not interested in.

Around the Network

A bunch of C-tier WiiU games from 2014 and Smash (assuming it's not one of the 4yr old ports).

Pathetic.

Nov 2016 - NES outsells PS1 (JP)

Don't Play Stationary 4 ever. Switch!

If we are only talking first/second party games, then 2017 is far stronger than 2018. This is especially true if you talking about an objective sales perspective. 2017 had 4 really big games: Zelda, 3D Mario, Mario Kart and Splatoon 2. So far we only know of one big game in 2018 and that is Smash Bros.

If you want to talk about 3rd party support, then yeah the Switch is getting better and better, but first party support was much better in 2017.

You forgot Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze and Hyrule Warriors Def Edition for 2018.

All in all, pretty close. Smash alone makes the holidat season a lock, especially if it is Smash five. Fire Emblem is a much anticipated RPG to take the place of Xeno 2 and Mario Tennis takes the place of Mario Kart. Kirby and Yoshi are nice and Bayo 1 and 2 is building hype for what I believe will be a early 2019 Bayo 3 release.

However I give the win to 2017 in the end. Zelda and Mario were major hitters that nothing this year can come close to hitting.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

Personally, 2018 has a tall order to top 2017 in terms of quality - but there should be more quantity and variety. I don't care for the Wii U ports (beyond Bayonetta and Smash if that *is* a port), but Mario Tennis: Aces and Octopath Traveller are the Nintendo published titles I'll be getting (bought Dragon Quest Builders and Bayonetta double-pack so far this year, be getting Travis Strikes Again, Okami HD, Dark Souls, Ys 8 as well).

With 10 Nintendo-published titles across February to July, I'm thinking that second half of 2018 could yet fill out nicely. Be great if Fire Emblem, Smash and Yoshi are joined by things like Pikmin, Animal Crossing and Pokemon. Nintendo generally publish 25-30 games a year, so I'm betting there are second half announcements waiting. I might not love any individual title for 2018 more than Breath of the Wild, but the cumulative library might edge it.

Around the Network
Shiken said:
You forgot Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze and Hyrule Warriors Def Edition for 2018.

No i didnt

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

zorg1000 said:
ninjapirate42 said:
Definitely going to be something else, but with Smash pretty well a lock for the Switch holiday release I would be shocked to see Pokemon this year, gonna be the heavy hitter used for next holiday season.

Alot of people seem to think Smash is going to release in Sept alongside the online subscription, if that happens than that leaves an opening for a big holiday title.

Well crap, that would be wonderful and I hope you're right! If they had the stock and those 2 heavy hitters Switch would sell like absolute madness for the last 4 months of 2018.

Pyro as Bill said:
A bunch of C-tier WiiU games from 2014 and Smash (assuming it's not one of the 4yr old ports).

Pathetic.

2014 1st party Wii U games

Feb-Tropical Freeze

May-Mario Kart 8

Sept-Hyrule Warriors

Oct-Bayonetta 2

Nov-Smash Bros

Dec-Captain Toad

Kinda funny that the entire 2014 lineup is getting ported over.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

RolStoppable said:
zorg1000 said:

2014 1st party Wii U games

Feb-Tropical Freeze

May-Mario Kart 8

Sept-Hyrule Warriors

Oct-Bayonetta 2

Nov-Smash Bros

Dec-Captain Toad

Kinda funny that the entire 2014 lineup is getting ported over.

Not really. It proves that Wii U owners got a lot of good games.

Yep, i cant wait to replay Captain Toad, one of my favorite Wii U games.

There really isn't a lot to debate, if you ask me.

In 2017, Nintendo brought Zelda BoTW, Mario Odyssey, Arms, Spaltoon 2, 1-2-Switch and Xenoblade 2.
In 2018 (games announced), Kirby, Yoshi, Fire Emblem (not 1st party, btw), Smash, Mario Tennis Ace.

2 completely different years. Not to mention the difference in system sellers.