By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - IHS Markit reports 12.8 million Switch units were sold over the course of the year.

RolStoppable said:
quickrick said:

I disagree, nobody cares about 400k more out of a huge number like 53 million, and the fact everyone knew sony announced 53.4 million a  few months ago, so the 53 million info was pretty useless info anyway you look at it. 

The best possible level of accuracy is not in the slightest bit useless for a market analysis. It's actually fundamental.

Then why doesn't nintendo do it? at the same time, anybody who follows the numbers or is interested already knew the sold through numbers for ps4 a few months ago, so it's useless  dated info.

Around the Network
quickrick said:
SKMBlake said:

I don't remeber it that way. I remember you saying that, and everyone proving how wrong you were (and actually you were)

lol the main guy that was arguing with in that thread wrote this. props to him at least some people can admit they are wrong.

Hey Quickrick. I just wanted to apologize because I actually was wrong with the 13 million figure. See the way I saw it, the number by January 21st was 12.5 million. So the 13 million must have been from December 31st, because the sales in other parts of the world where 1.5 million.

But then I double duped myself. I completely forgot that Latin America and Asia weren't included, which is very stupid because I actually quoted that earlier in the thread. Then I responded by saying "well it was already at 12.5 million so even not including those countries just 1/3 of ROW would account for the extra 500k needed for 13 million!" But I forgot that, as far as we know, the sales of America and Japan and Europe were only 12.0 at the time of December 31st ... so it actually would have required 2/3's of ROW figures. Which would be impossible without Asia and Latin America. I was using the 12.5 figure because I got confused and mixed up. 

I just wanted to say I am sorry for that. I usually am good at debates but I was honestly really tired and stressed about other things at the time and it made me slip up. I don't think I was that mean to you at the time but I do think one comment I made was slightly offensive, so I apologize for that too. 

If it's any consolation I do think you're way better as a user than when you first showed up. I wish you'd downplay Nintendo a bit less, but oh well, nothing I can do about that. Different viewpoints, and all!

Do NOT misrepresent ALA's comment. He told me himself that you were still wrong but he kept it for kindness sake. This is disgusting.

Another chapter of The Epic quickrick quest to prove Switch is not a sucess and It will fall off a cliff

Click HERE and be happy 

quickrick said:
TruckOSaurus said:

But we should we care about a 381K difference for the Switch somehow.

kinda of a huge difference  between 12 million and 53 million. then there also the fact we have official numbers from sony in the same exact period, for example if nintendo gave exact sell through numbers for the end of 2017, the 12.8 million from them would be useless. 

So at what number does the decimals on million figures become useless? 20m? 30m? When it suits your narrative?

Look, I don't know if the current report is right or wrong but you can't argue that they fucked up in the past. The 53 million figure they gave was an error, they didn't mean to give rounded figures because there's no word suggesting it (like "over" or "exceeding") and you have a precise number in the same sentence. Furthermore, the sentence reads "compared to the Xbox One's 27.6 m" so they're making a comparison between the numbers and you don't compare rounded figures with exact figures unless you're incompetent.

Last edited by TruckOSaurus - on 07 March 2018

Signature goes here!

OTBWY said:
quickrick said:

lol the main guy that was arguing with in that thread wrote this. props to him at least some people can admit they are wrong.

Hey Quickrick. I just wanted to apologize because I actually was wrong with the 13 million figure. See the way I saw it, the number by January 21st was 12.5 million. So the 13 million must have been from December 31st, because the sales in other parts of the world where 1.5 million.

But then I double duped myself. I completely forgot that Latin America and Asia weren't included, which is very stupid because I actually quoted that earlier in the thread. Then I responded by saying "well it was already at 12.5 million so even not including those countries just 1/3 of ROW would account for the extra 500k needed for 13 million!" But I forgot that, as far as we know, the sales of America and Japan and Europe were only 12.0 at the time of December 31st ... so it actually would have required 2/3's of ROW figures. Which would be impossible without Asia and Latin America. I was using the 12.5 figure because I got confused and mixed up. 

I just wanted to say I am sorry for that. I usually am good at debates but I was honestly really tired and stressed about other things at the time and it made me slip up. I don't think I was that mean to you at the time but I do think one comment I made was slightly offensive, so I apologize for that too. 

If it's any consolation I do think you're way better as a user than when you first showed up. I wish you'd downplay Nintendo a bit less, but oh well, nothing I can do about that. Different viewpoints, and all!

Do NOT misrepresent ALA's comment. He told me himself that you were still wrong but he kept it for kindness sake. This is disgusting.

umm he admitted that the numbers are not from the end of 2017,. please don't reply to me anymore, or come into my threads, i thought CGI made that clear to ignore each other. 

Around the Network

Next time people start accusing any of you lot of bullying just link them to this thread.

TruckOSaurus said:
quickrick said:

kinda of a huge difference  between 12 million and 53 million. then there also the fact we have official numbers from sony in the same exact period, for example if nintendo gave exact sell through numbers for the end of 2017, the 12.8 million from them would be useless. 

So at what number does the decimals on million figures become useless? 20m? 30m? When it suits your narrative?

Look, I don't know if the current report is right or wrong but you can't argue that they fucked up in the past. The 53 million figure they gave was an error, they didn't mean to give rounded figures because there's no word suggesting it (like over 53m) and you have a precise number in the same sentence. Furthermore, the sentence reads "compared to the Xbox One's 27.6 m" so they're making a comparison between the numbers and you don't compare rounded figures with exact figures unless you're incompetent.

IHS markit has been a great source in the past, i don't know why they used 53 million when they had official numbers, but i doubt a company as professional  as them just made an error, it could very well be a rounded number. 

CGI-Quality said:
quickrick said:

yes i did. IHS said ps4 has a install base of 53 million, but that report number came out 2 months after sony announced 53.4 million, they just didn't feel the need to add the 400k.

Hasn't IHS already been shown to be a sketchy source for accuracy, even before these recent numbers?

I only hear they are a great source, never heard of them being sketchy .

quickrick said:

OK for everyone saying those numbers are wrong because of the 53 million number, compared to the 53.4 million number, You guys do realize that the 53 million number came out 2 months after sony announced the 53.4 million number, that like 100% proof they weren't being precise with the numbers they were using. unlike the switch where they make it clear IHS Markit reports 12.8 million Switch units were sold over the course of the year, but keep using the straw man argument.

Are they telling me that more than 2 million Switch were left in stock around the world after going through the era where most consoles are sold? I do not think so.

Not taking into account that Nintendo had stock problems during most of the year and now IHS tells me that more than 2 million were left in stock at the end of the year hahahahaha. Allow me to doubt.

Switch Friend Code = 5965 - 4586 - 6484

PSN: alejollorente10

quickrick said:
TruckOSaurus said:

Look, I don't know if the current report is right or wrong but you can't argue that they fucked up in the past. The 53 million figure they gave was an error, they didn't mean to give rounded figures because there's no word suggesting it (like over 53m) and you have a precise number in the same sentence. Furthermore, the sentence reads "compared to the Xbox One's 27.6 m" so they're making a comparison between the numbers and you don't compare rounded figures with exact figures unless you're incompetent.

IHS markit has been a great source in the past, i don't know why they used 53 million when they had official numbers, but i doubt a company as professional  as them just made an error, it could very well be a rounded number. 

If it's a rounded number then they are not professional since a professional company won't compare a rounded number with an exact value. It's one or the other, they either made a mistake or they are sloppy.

Signature goes here!