By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Who are your favourite/least favourite games reviewers/journalists.

Favourite:

Somecallmejohnny. He is probably one of the most likeable reviewers on the internet. He seems aware that his opinions are his and never feels like he's forcing them onto the viewer. He tends to review a nice mix of old and new and doesn't appear to be overly biased towards any company.

Videogamedunkey. This guy has to be one of the funniest reviewers I've ever seen. His videos mix ridiculous comedy with some genuinely interesting critiques on videogames. His video talking about graphics in gaming is a particular stand out for me.

Mark Brown. Mark generally does video essays, but he does tend to critically talk about games he likes and dislikes. He is unrivalled in his knowledge of game design, all of his videos are full of insight into gaming. Out of everyone I've mentioned he is the one I'd recommend the most if your looking for an in depth look into game design.

Least favourite:

Jim sterling. I think he is one of the most obnoxious reviewers I've ever seen. Whether I agree with his opinion or not he just goes about everything in such a loud in your face kind of way. He comes across like his opinions are the only correct ones and everyone else is wrong. He seems to constantly seek out controversy to keep himself in the public eye. I think that overall he is having a bad affect on game critiscms as a whole. He tries to be funny but just isn't.

Angry Joe. The skits go on for so long and aren't funny.  His anger feels forced most of the time. He contradicts himself constantly.

Around the Network

I usually read a Spanish publication called 3DJuegos and listen to some Jim Sterling videos. Also, I read the VGC reviews. And that's about it.

TruckOSaurus: Great taste in games, I agree with his opinion on most things.
Evan Norris (Veknoid_Outcast): Another guy with great taste in games, you should see his Top 50 of all time.
Jim Sterling: Thank God for him.

Signature goes here!

Videogamedunkey and Arlo are my favorites.

I don't watch or read reviews of people who I don't like.

Flilix said:
Videogamedunkey and Arlo are my favorites.

I don't watch or read reviews of people who I don't like.

I like arlo as well. Haven't seen a lot of his stuff but he generally gets his point across very well.

Around the Network

ACG is my favorite. My least favorite is crapgamerReviews

Pinkie_pie said:
ACG is my favorite. My least favorite is crapgamerReviews

That's a fantastic pick for least favorite.

As for the op, I've never been less invested in reviewers than I have been for the last several years. I had favorites from the heady days of EGM in the 90's and oughts. I do enjoy Jim Sterling, but only became a fan in the last 18 months or so, and he doesn't really do traditional reviews anymore. For the most part, the only reviews I read are done by VGC staff and members.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

Gamespot has gone in the shitter this past 5-6 years. I can't pinpoint it to any one journalist though.

I like metacritic flawless numbers

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Favourites:
- Jim Sterling: I pretty much agree with him 1:1 on taste (except, oddly AC:Unity). Great show format, and openly critical of the industry. Just awesome
- VideogamerUK: don't follow them as much now, but Alice and Colm are pretty trustworthy
- Eurogamer: generally check them out for news, but they have some solid reviews
- Kirk Mckeand: very good writer, even if I don't agree with him (Dishonored is ok)
- Tauriq Moosa: he did a few great writeups all over the web, also a student (impressed!)
- Whatever pops up in my Twitter feed: deep analysis post-release, general vibe etc.
- Matt Brown: highly informative and well put together, might be my favourite gaming Youtuber
- Writing on Games: good analysis on games I normally play
- Turbo Button: good analysis on games I normally don't play
- Bitsocket: Yakuza pretty much
- Cool Ghost: little known indie gems and other stuff. Wonderfully odd
- Laura Kate Dale: I like her style, and insider info + buttz content
- HBomberguy, Dan Olson: what gaming content they have is probably some of my favourite on YT
Middle:
- TheGamingBritShow: actually quite good, when he doesn't start droning on about framerates or some shit
- Superbunnyhop: great investigative journalist, good reviews, dreadful tech analyses
- VideoGameDunkey: more of an entertainer than a reviewer, he should really stick to joke-content
Least favourite:
- I avoid the censorship twats, gamergate nutbags and general far-right adjacent weirdos who use gaming as an excuse for their bigotry, so couldn't name names
- AlphaOmegaSin: watched his response to the Kojima/Konami split and was amazed at the stupidity of it all