By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - How do you Play Games on PC?

Ka-pi96 said:
It's not really any different than console. Walk into a used games store and you'll be able to pick up a tonne of games at really cheap prices too (probably better than Steam sale prices actually). Unless there's something you really want just don't walk into the store and buying stuff you don't have time to play won't be a problem. I don't even look at Steam sales anymore unless there's a game I really want and then I only look for that.

See, the only reason I go to my local Gamestop is to pick up a preorder and such. Even then I can't impulse buy for $30+ games even with all my Gamestop points. But I come home from work and I've got 50 billion steam deal emails. Then it gets worse with bundles. Which aren't really a thing on consoles anymore.

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

Around the Network
Chazore said:
CladInShadows said:

Neither do I.  I just put everything on max and walk away. :)

Heck, we even have software that can do it for us via Nvidia's GForce Experience, so it's not like everyone is chained to spending years trapped within the settings menu of games. 

This whole "spending more time tweaking than playing" is usually a talking point from pro-console / anti-PC players anyway, for whatever reason. I've never understood it.  And it often shows a lack of understanding or experience with the PC.

Well I keep it to the exclusives that I really want, which is very few games. As well as the very few games that my friends gift me.

CladInShadows said:

This whole "spending more time tweaking than playing" is usually a talking point from pro-console / anti-PC players anyway, for whatever reason. I've never understood it.  And it often shows a lack of understanding or experience with the PC.

Yeah, it's the usual thing I see whenever a discussion arises for people talking about not being sold on PC.

Most games these days also have an auto detect for whatever settings take your fancy with your general spec.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Ka-pi96 said:
Dr.Henry_Killinger said:

See, the only reason I go to my local Gamestop is to pick up a preorder and such. Even then I can't impulse buy for $30+ games even with all my Gamestop points. But I come home from work and I've got 50 billion steam deal emails. Then it gets worse with bundles. Which aren't really a thing on consoles anymore.

I'd be surprised if there isn't a way to turn of the steam emails, that could lower your temptation to buy new games that you're not ready to play quite a bit. Maybe even mark them as spam to prevent them from coming through

As for bundles, just don't go to humblebundle etc. In my experience if it's a really good one somebody will post about it on here, so you can still get the good bundles, and that happening is rare enough that you won't constantly be getting tempted to buy them.

There is, because I haven't been getting a billion Steam emails every month. The only time I'll ever get emails is if someone buys me a game, I buy one myself, I refund a game or a game on my wishlist is on sale which is super fucking handy to have.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Around the Network
John2290 said:

Yes I did, bit my point still stands, I was spending more time in the first hour of games messing with settings than playing games. Did I moss something? Too many games I spent to much tome obsessing over numbers and graphical options before I got to the meat of any of the games...Try reading my post before you tell me to read the OP.

Then you were doing something wrong and don't know enough about the PC.
I just install and play, set everything to max and it's been that way for years.

Bristow9091 said:

Basically; you forget they exist. Apparently I have over 400 games in my Steam library, but as far as I'm concerned I only have about six, lol.

I have about 650~ games on Steam, probably played about a dozen tops.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

John2290 said:

Okay, yeah. Now I see, that is a problem indeed. Why not just buy the games you want to play or stop taking advantage of the flash sales when you know you won't play 97 percent of your games anyway. Now is the time to stop lol, you think you'd learn after the 100th game ^^

I am a collector.
Same reason why I have hundreds of Xbox, Playstation and Nintendo games.

And yet, I haven't played a single console game in probably a couple years now? Haha

Besides. I see a shiny Steam sale and I can't help myself.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Bristow9091 said:

Basically; you forget they exist. Apparently I have over 400 games in my Steam library, but as far as I'm concerned I only have about six, lol.

76 on Steam, 433 on GOG, plus around 50 neither of both (direct downloads from the dev's sites or through Humble Key resender). Finished maybe a dozen of them, though many games I have are open-ended Grand Strategy or Godgames.

John2290 said:
JEMC said:
John2290 said:
This is why I gave up on PC gaming. I was spending more time messing with settings for minimal gains than enjoying actual games. I will never go back unless its for VR even though I still do for certain genres like rts/4x
Last title I played was ori and I dont see any that interest me on the horizon anyway.

Next time, try to read the OP before posting.

Yes I did, bit my point still stands, I was spending more time in the first hour of games messing with settings than playing games. Did I moss something? Too many games I spent to much tome obsessing over numbers and graphical options before I got to the meat of any of the games...Try reading my post before you tell me to read the OP.

I read the OP, talking about backlog games because of the usual sales on Steam or other places, and then I read your post, where you skipped the subject in question and simply complained about how hard it is to make a game run with all the different settings PC games have. So no, your point doesn't stand.

Now, about what you said, most if not all games already select the "best" settings given our hardware when they get installed, so the tweaking you mention is simply because you want to do it to get more, but in any case a necessity. Besides, because of how many games are console ports, the number of settings to work with have been reduced so it's not like there's much to tweak anymore.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

John2290 said:
JEMC said:

I read the OP, talking about backlog games because of the usual sales on Steam or other places, and then I read your post, where you skipped the subject in question and simply complained about how hard it is to make a game run with all the different settings PC games have. So no, your point doesn't stand.

Now, about what you said, most if not all games already select the "best" settings given our hardware when they get installed, so the tweaking you mention is simply because you want to do it to get more, but in any case a necessity. Besides, because of how many games are console ports, the number of settings to work with have been reduced so it's not like there's much to tweak anymore.

Yeah, my bad. I thought i adressed open and was addinv my other reasons for quitting too. I never got to the levels of the people in this thread but 70 (steam) games while playing maybe 5  or 6 past the first hour of two is about the same deal. Not counting my rts/4x/builders or my library off of steam. Also not because I don't know how to set up games, it just became an obsession in the same way the OP has with flash sales. To many options can hurt and when games drop to 95% of their RRP it hits gamers hard in the dopamine centers, I can easily see why people here have wasted money on hundreds of games and only played . 

Console wise on ps4 alone I've 300 or so games. finished 150 of them, 100% and platinumed 34 of them, near 30 or so of them were free and the rest I've given a fair try getting hours into most. I'd reckon mayve 30 or so games that I've bought and played less than an hour or too. 10 percent compared to 90+ percent on PC and steam. 

Theres a lot to be said about having less options and less flash sales, especially steam level sales thaf go beyond the pale sometimes with1 euro or less games.

Also, this isn't even touching on the hundreds of games i installed over the years before steam. For some reason back then at least games got a fair go. 

I got around 170 games on Steam, including those I have twice (the original and the remaster/remake that were given away for free, like Titan Quest), the ones I got without noticing, like this year's MWNL5 event from Sega that granted me more 5 games and some that I didn't want but came with past Humble Bundles. I've played 84, almost half of them.

For me, having control over what and how many games I get is easy, but that's because I'm cheap/mean .

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.