By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony: More Focus On 1st Party Titles

Oh boy. I know I'm literally the only one with this opinion on VGChartz, but honestly, Sony has not been doing this so well this generation. They have relied on third party exclusives nearly as much as Microsoft(and they got more of them, too). Of course Sony never gets that criticism, but they definitely should. It basically took them four years just to have a decent lineup of exclusives, and even then it was a standalone expansion of a milked utter, a sports game, a meme, and then Gravity Rush 2 and Horizon Zero Dawn. 2017 and 2016 were pretty decent, but they weren't enough.

2018 is basically the first year were Sony has a consistent presence on the 1st party front, and for that I am glad. Even if I question whether or not I'll like the game, I can at least admit God of War, Days Gone, Spider Man, Detroit, and Dreams is a pretty damn great lineup. Shadow of the Colossus left too little of an impact it seems, but oh well. The lineup would be great even more so if Kingdom Hearts 3 comes out this year and actually ends up as an exclusive (i'm doubtful of the former a bit more than the latter, but who knows at this point).

Oh, and by the way, what Sony is saying is what any company would say. They're not going to say "We're going to put less of a focus on 1st party games". Every time Microsoft comes out and says they have more exclusives we have this same discussion.

Around the Network

This year is the perfect year for GAMER on PlayStation 4. And now this news, thats fantastic - so wunderful.

Sonys first party this generation has become noticeably stronger. We still have so many first party games to come aswell.

Areaz32 said:
Azuren said:
Woo. More exclusives. Hurray for "anti-consumerism" ;)

In some cases it is anti-consumer and in others it isn't.

I would rather have a huge corporation pour money into the hands of talented individuals who get to fully focus on hand crafting and experience than some other corporation who is only trying to meet market demands and pushes multiplatform structures down onto the engineers and game designers which limits them greatly in achieving any vision.

Big platform holders like Nintendo and Sony have proven time and time again that spending extra time & money to polish the games extra works great for benefiting the platform itself and in turn it's better for not only the industry but also for the consumer since they get higher quality video games that are different from the norm in many ways.

So you may call it anti-consumerism but i call it the absoloute least of my worries.

I would rather have 0.5 gravity rush games than another call of duty, battlefield or one of those extremely low budget 'indie' type titles.

I was mocking those who cry anti-consumerism anytime a game they want is exclusive. 

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

Qwark said:
They should buy a few new studios. I.would vote for Sony to buy From Software.

A lot of people would rightfully be pissed off if that happened, what they can do however is continue to work together with exclusive new IPs like how they did with Bloodborne and Demons Souls.

OP: I love those news, i hope they pay attention to strengthening their Japanese oriented games (especially after the surprise hits that BB and MHW were for them), give me a new LOD please.

Around the Network
Qwark said:
They should buy a few new studios. I.would vote for Sony to buy From Software.

Microsoft should do it. 

deskpro2k3 said:
More exclusives gives more reason to own the box.

Really? I threw out my box weeks ago. 

Azuren said:

What a fallacy. Exclusives are pro-consumer because the way the market has positioned itself, if you already have a console then it benefits you. As a whole however, they are anti consumer. 

AngryLittleAlchemist said:
Oh boy. I know I'm literally the only one with this opinion on VGChartz, but honestly, Sony has not been doing this so well this generation. They have relied on third party exclusives nearly as much as Microsoft(and they got more of them, too). Of course Sony never gets that criticism, but they definitely should. It basically took them four years just to have a decent lineup of exclusives, and even then it was a standalone expansion of a milked utter, a sports game, a meme, and then Gravity Rush 2 and Horizon Zero Dawn. 2017 and 2016 were pretty decent, but they weren't enough.

2018 is basically the first year were Sony has a consistent presence on the 1st party front, and for that I am glad. Even if I question whether or not I'll like the game, I can at least admit God of War, Days Gone, Spider Man, Detroit, and Dreams is a pretty damn great lineup. Shadow of the Colossus left too little of an impact it seems, but oh well. The lineup would be great even more so if Kingdom Hearts 3 comes out this year and actually ends up as an exclusive (i'm doubtful of the former a bit more than the latter, but who knows at this point).

Oh, and by the way, what Sony is saying is what any company would say. They're not going to say "We're going to put less of a focus on 1st party games". Every time Microsoft comes out and says they have more exclusives we have this same discussion.

But at least it seems like one them is doing a good job on it.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Azuren said:

What a fallacy. Exclusives are pro-consumer because the way the market has positioned itself, if you already have a console then it benefits you. As a whole however, they are anti consumer. 

Azuren said: 

I was mocking those who cry anti-consumerism anytime a game they want is exclusive. 

DonFerrari said:

At what? Delivering more exclusives per year? Sony? Expound. 

Azuren said:
Azuren said: 

Well, you shouldn't. Granted, they get annoying, but they are technically right. Unless you're implying they're hypocritical because they don't care about their games being exclusive? Then that is pretty funny and I concede it is my fault for not understanding  

DonFerrari said:

At what? Delivering more exclusives per year? Sony? Expound. 

Azuren said:

Well, you shouldn't. Granted, they get annoying, but they are technically right. Unless you're implying they're hypocritical because they don't care about their games being exclusive? Then that is pretty funny and I concede it is my fault for not understanding  

The latter.