By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Gyro Aiming Being the Future?

Since gyro aiming was firstly announced to me via Splatoon 1, I was not a friend of it. I felt the use of the Gamepad to be clunky and confusing while gyro aiming was on. So I kept my distance to that feature.

With Splatoon 2 however and using the Pro Controller it felt way better and I got a feeling for it. It feels natural to play like that and I certainly can see the advantage over the previous control scheme. It has more fluidity and precision than the stiff analog stick controls.

I am mostly a PC gamer which plays with mouse and keyboard, but also have a xbox 360 controller to play certain games with, because it is more practicable that way. But shooters, be it first or third person, felt always like a downgrade to me.

Even the steam controller has gyro feature which can be also used for gyro aiming like in Doom on PC.

Recently Doom for Switch got its update to also use gyro aiming and people seem to have more fun that way.

I don't know if PS4 and Xbox1 controllers have a gyro sensor build in (havn't done my research) but is this feature the future for these kind of games? 

I surely do love it and wish for more games to implement it like Outlast and more.

What do you think?

Intel Core i7 8700K | 32 GB DDR 4 PC 3200 | ROG STRIX Z370-F Gaming | RTX 3090 FE| Crappy Monitor| HTC Vive Pro :3

Around the Network

I hope it becomes the standard from now on. It is such an useful feature for many games.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

By design, no. It's not technology holding it back, it's convenience.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

No thanks, I'm too lazy for gyro aiming.

I already hoped, that IR-aiming would be the future ... Maybe gyro aiming has the chance to change something, but I fear there are still too many tradionalist, who enjoy their dual analog controls. However, I will never go back to dual analog. This was the one and only reason that Doom for Switch was deleted from my chistmas buying list. With the new update it made the jump back to my easter buying list.

Around the Network

More options so YES!

Pocky Lover Boy! 

Having the option in for gyro controls in traditional controller based games should be standard going forward.

Personally I hope that a good amount of shooting games go VR in the next few years, because 1 to 1 motion tracking is the end game I have been waiting for. Killzone 3, Farpoint, and Arizona Sunshine are my 3 favorite FPS games to date thanks to the vastly better gameplay that motion offers.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

I hope so.

Still waiting for Gyno aiming.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

To be sure, ypu are talking about moving the controller around to aim instead of the sticks?

or basically moving my wrists and elbows around instead of my thumbs?

No thanks.