By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - NYC must pay 180K$ to 3 Muslim women forced to remove hijabs for mugshots

Three Muslim women forced to remove hijabs for mug shots snag $180G payout from city

New York City will pay a total of $180,000 to three Muslim women who were forced to take off their hijabs for mug shots, the Daily News has learned.

Settlements in the three cases were filed Monday in Brooklyn federal court, with the lawsuits spurring new NYPD procedures on photographing people donning religious head coverings.

The cases date back as far as 2012, when a Brooklyn high school girl identified as “G.E.” was arrested after a scuffle with two girls she thought were spreading rumors about her.

The criminal case was dismissed, but it was the initial mug shots that mattered in the civil rights case that followed.

G.E. was taken to the 62nd Precinct, which covers such neighborhoods as Bensonhurst, Mapleton and Bath Beach, where police told her she’d have to take off her hijab.

The teen refused, and was taken to a private room where a female officer shot the photo outside the presence of any men.

But at Brooklyn central booking, police told her there weren’t any female officers to do the picture and the camera was in a fixed spot, so it couldn’t be privately taken elsewhere.

G.E. said a male officer took her picture without her hijab.

Her suit said she felt “exposed, violated and distraught” being forced to take off her headscarf for some 20 minutes as male police and prisoners watched.

Court rulings show in March 2015, police issued an order that changed the rules when people refused to take off religious head coverings. Arresting officers had to tell the person they had the choice of getting a private photo — without the head covering, and with an officer of the same gender.

“On the one hand, it gives officers guidance, and on the other hand, it protects the exercise of religious freedom,” Aboushi said.

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/women-forced-hijabs-mugs-settle-city-article-1.3845434

Around the Network

And that's what you get from Religious freedom. Stupid shit.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

They shouldn't have taken their hijabs off... simple

It shouldn't have happened in the first place. Every other religious group in US has the same rights.

I don't get 'religious freedom'. Isn't that already included in freedom of speech? People should follow the law, and they shouldn't be treated differently because of their religion.

Around the Network

Crock of shit......... you are in the USA.,.... take off your oppressive garment...... and you paid them? MUGS..!!!! simple.

Most expensive mug shot ever.

Ronster316 said:
Crock of shit......... you are in the USA.,.... take off your oppressive garment...... and you paid them? MUGS..!!!! simple.

It comes with the territory. If you want to protect one group with crazy ideas and customs you have to protect all of them.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Ka-pi96 said:
OTBWY said:
It shouldn't have happened in the first place. Every other religious group in US has the same rights.

The right to immunity from arrest/prosecution based on their "beliefs"? I just hope you don't ever meet a US murder cult then, will really suck when the police refuse to help you because they have the "right" to murder you based on their "religion".

Look ka-pi, I dont have any interest in elaborating, especially with that framing. All I have said is that US law is clear and it should not have happened. People are just upset that three muslim women got away with money. It could have been prevented by being smart about it. Anyway, thanks for reminding me of why I stay out of religious threads.

What about burkas? What if I establish my own religion where all followers need to wear hoodies? Easy money if you ask me.