By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Japan sales (Week 8): Media Create/Famitsu/Dengeki - February 19-25, 2018

Pinkie_pie said:
By the end of march switch will be up by 100k from last year. Switch did 3.3m last year even with odyssey and Zelda. Pokemon ain't coming this year so switch won't be doing 4.5m. I'd say between 3.5-4m this year

You can take off Zelda of your list. It's not among Nintendo's biggest franchises. The last Zelda that crossed a million in Japan was Ocarina of Time in 1998. This year it is expected to get Smash and Animal Crossing, which is far bigger in Japan than anything Switch got so far. We'll have to wait, but so far 4m looks like a safe bet for what people already mentioned.

Bet with Teeqoz for 2 weeks of avatar and sig control that Super Mario Odyssey would ship more than 7m on its first 2 months. The game shipped 9.07m, so I won

Around the Network

I haven't seen this much cheerleading since my niece marathoned the "Bring It On" movies.

Anyway, I'm happy for Girls Und Panzer.

LipeJJ said:
Pinkie_pie said:
By the end of march switch will be up by 100k from last year. Switch did 3.3m last year even with odyssey and Zelda. Pokemon ain't coming this year so switch won't be doing 4.5m. I'd say between 3.5-4m this year

You can take off Zelda of your list. It's not among Nintendo's biggest franchises. The last Zelda that crossed a million in Japan was Ocarina of Time in 1998. This year it is expected to get Smash and Animal Crossing, which is far bigger in Japan than anything Switch got so far. We'll have to wait, but so far 4m looks like a safe bet for what people already mentioned.

How did Smash do in Japan for the Wii U compared with Splatoon, whose sequel also released on the Switch last year?

Lawlight said:
Medisti said:

A broken clock is right twice a day.

Ah Nintendo fans... they don’t even want to believe Amazon...

My bad, brah. I didn't realize that Amazon was the sole determining factor of availability.

I only mentioned Zelda and odyssey but there were Mario kart 8 deluxe, splatoon 2, xenoblade 2 and such. Smash, kirby and animal crossing ain't really better than last years titles. So even if they sort out the stock issue this year I can only see 4m max

Around the Network
Lawlight said:
Jranation said:

But the PS4 have beaten the Vita. 

The Vita was simply not supported. It’s only big seller in Japan is Minecraft and it got nothing beyond that. It still almost doubled what the WiiU sold, a system that had plenty of Mario games including Mario Kart 8, Splatoon, Smash. Even the PS4 struggled to outsell the Vita despite all the big hitters it got.

Sooo it cant just be a handheld, it needs to have great support, got it! 

Pocky Lover Boy! 

Megiddo said:
Very odd to see people predicting 2mil PS4 sold in Japan for 2018 when Media Crate, the very source of this thread, has the PS4 just under 600k sold after 2 months.

Well naturally you'd expect sales to slow. If ps4 averages 30k a year for the next 10 months it will end the year around 1.8-1.9m. 

Jranation said:
Lawlight said:

The Vita was simply not supported. It’s only big seller in Japan is Minecraft and it got nothing beyond that. It still almost doubled what the WiiU sold, a system that had plenty of Mario games including Mario Kart 8, Splatoon, Smash. Even the PS4 struggled to outsell the Vita despite all the big hitters it got.

You already knew this. Why are you acting like you didn't? 

Anyway its crazy to think that by the end of 2018 ps4 will still be ahead of the Switch  

Pinkie_pie said:

There were rumors that Pokemon will either release in 2018 or early 2019 (I Cant remember if/when a mainline pokemon game released early in the year)

- LABO might be a big surprise

- There were rumors that a Monster Hunter game coming to the Switch (it was with the rumor that PS4 will get an MH game and that was proven true)

- A price cut may happen

Pocky Lover Boy! 

Kerotan said: 
Jranation said:

Because he just said handheld. Nothing else. 

Pocky Lover Boy! 

Jranation said:
Kerotan said: 

Because he just said handheld. Nothing else. 

Yeah but you are aware that if a handheld doesnt get system sellers it wont do huge numbers.