By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Delta and United join list of companies to cut ties with the NRA - maybe this truly is the end of gun rights in the US?

EricHiggin said:
Final-Fan said:

I wouldn't even trade money for Taco Bell. 

Not even if it was the last restaurant chain on the planet? How would you impress a date enough to bring them back for some VR 'relations'?

I would just have to survive on all the cheese. 

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

Around the Network
Final-Fan said: 

2.  I guess I was unclear on whether you were talking about the entire category of all forms of semi-automatic rifle, or the category contained within it of assault-style semi-automatic rifles.  (It is only the latter that people are concerned will be subjected to restrictions or bans.)  Your 50 million figure was originally given in response to "is that right infringed if assault rifles are not part of the picture? If you have the right to own a hunting rifle, you do have the right to bear arms." (emphasis added)

So I think it is important that we disentangle semantics, because often this terminology is being confounded by various groups. 

For example, when one uses the phrase "assault rifle" I think of the guns which exist in the Wikipedia article of for assault rifle.  These are heavily regulated by the NFA and FOPA. 

But I realize that when somebody uses assault rifle, they might be talking about some select group of semi-automatic weapons. 

But why is this group special, other than their cosmetic features? 

I mean during the assault weapons ban, the kids who committed the Columbine shooting got a remade model of a gun that was banned by the previous assault weapons ban, but which removed all of the banned features. The line between this arbitrary category of "assault weapon" and "hunting rifle" isn't all that clear, and it really won't have an effect on public safety. 

Often you see memes like this one showing how such a distinction is silly. 

On the other hand, gun control proposals like the one provided in the following link make much more sense because they focus on the lethality of the weapon and don't outright ban access for those who go through a little bit of a process. 

http://qr.ae/TbS2PS

Last edited by sc94597 - on 27 February 2018

Nem said:
EnricoPallazzo said:
I really understand US culture and the right to have a gun, and I think it is something that will never change. And that the problem is not necessarily with the guns themselves, also several other countries have so many guns and nothing happens.

But it is beyond my understanding why people need to have dozens of guns, assault rifles, machine guns, sniper rifles or whatever for the right to defend themselves.

Like... what country has loads of weapons and nothing happens? That is just false.

Switzerland? Israel?

sc94597 said:
EnricoPallazzo said:

But it is beyond my understanding why people need to have dozens of guns, assault rifles, machine guns, sniper rifles or whatever for the right to defend themselves.

Assault rifles and machine guns are heavily regulated in the United States by the National Firearms Act of 1933 and the Firearms Owners Protection Act of 1986. Sniper rifles are just any rifle with a scope on it that can shoot with high precision at long distances. Many sniper rifles are common bolt actions used by farmers and hunters. 

Overall, rifles make up only 4% of U.S homicides, in total. More than four times more people are killed with knives. 

Yes but not in those mass shootings right? To kill a lot of people in a short time, which seems to be the case with the mass shootings and what actually causes all the discussion, you need a machine gun, assault rifles, etc or whatever.

Y'all ridiculous putting a weapon over a life and then justifying it with "well what if we MIGHT need it..." Innocent people are being killed and that is very real and not something that might happen but is happening. Stricter gun laws are the way to go.

Around the Network

spurgeonryan said: 

I think the government wants us to lose our gun rights. That way as soon as they can they will have total control of us. Only reason we have any freedom in America is due to guns. There are ways to handle this, sometimes when I see how easy it is to get a gun I laugh. Just fix the laws.

The irony in this, law enforcement gets militarized and is conditioned accordingly. 

"Only reason we have any freedom in America is due to guns."

Recently i read a similar comment by a man living in Mexico. The difference, there was comprehensible truth to his words.

Hunting Season is done...

EnricoPallazzo said:
Nem said:

Like... what country has loads of weapons and nothing happens? That is just false.

Switzerland? Israel?

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/maps-and-graphics/mapped-the-countries-with-the-most-guns/

It has been linked in this thread already. It's not even comparable.

Also, switzerland would be the only country in that list that has nothing to fear from their neighbours alongside the USA.  USA have more than double. Switzeland is a small country of educated people with alot of big banks and wealth to protect. It's not even a spec compared to the nonsense that is the USA, a country with 40 times more population.

EnricoPallazzo said:

Yes but not in those mass shootings right? To kill a lot of people in a short time, which seems to be the case with the mass shootings and what actually causes all the discussion, you need a machine gun, assault rifles, etc or whatever.

Why are mass shootings special? Mass shootings make up about .02% of homicides, why should we care about them and not the other, more preventable, deaths? 

Furthermore, I recommend reading my response to Final-Fan a few posts about yours about this conflation of "assault rifle" with weapons that are legally own-able. 

I think the American civil war should be a clear example for everyone that, just because you have the right to bear arms, it doesn´t mean you have good intentions.

I don't think it will be the end. This has happened before. The NRA does it's thing, but gun control is usually a losing issue for gun grabbers as a whole. My boycott list grows too and mine are for life. There are tens of millions of gun owners.