By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - Game Page - Sales Data

TalonMan said:

Since the launch of the new game database, the single most common complaint I heard was the lack of sales data on the game pages themselves. And while I'm still in the process of putting out other fires (and attempting to get Machina back online with the weekly sales charts, in general) - I would really like to get a handle on exactly what it is that's missing and what I can add that will satisfy this request.

Obviously, we all would like to see everything available - I get that. But I also know there is a paid "Pro" version of VGChartz, and exposing all of the data via the game pages would have the effect of making that website completely obsolete. So, I need to find a middle ground here.

I went back and looked at the previous game pages, and as best I can tell it looks like those pages had a limited view of the data, as well. Other than the "lifetime" totals for a given game, it seems they only displayed the first 10 weeks of sales data, as well as a yearly summary - so, working off of that comparison, the only thing that would currently be missing from the new game pages (based on what was being displayed prior to the update) are the annual totals. Is that correct???

I'm certainly willing and able to expose whatever it is we're all looking to see - but it has to be within reason, of course. So the purpose of this thread is to gather up intel on two things:

1 - What is it exactly, that is missing from the current game pages, that used to be available in the previous ones? Is it merely the annual summaries? Or, is there something else I'm not seeing?

2 - What else (sales related) do we want on these pages? Again - this item in particular, will be subject to Machina and ioi approval as I will not do anything that might degrade the purpose and viability of the "Pro" website. I do want to hear from the community though and see if there are any compromises we can make and allow for as much visibility within reason.

What are the differences between Pro and the supporter program?

Around the Network

Being able to see the first 10 weeks of sales data for each region, for example for Xenoblade Chronicles X, because it released in Japan first, there is no way to see it's first weeks sales for other regions unless you go searching for them elsewhere yourself.

Annual summaries, to see how much the game sold each year since release. 

I also feel like the sales info shouldn't be shifted away into just one corner. If I remember correctly I liked how previously all the sales info had the majority of focus in the middle of the page. The way it is now just seems squashed and it's not interactable as in; you can't go click on Europe to go and see the sales first few sales weeks for UK, Germany and France.

I don't think there is much more problems than that really. Perhaps just a white background option could make the page easier on the eyes to read. I'm just used to the rest of the site for the most part having mostly a white/greyish background for areas of large bodies of text.

Last edited by Green098 - on 20 February 2018

TalonMan said:
Ok - I think I've already managed to get to the crux of what's missing and what needs to be done, which is GREAT!!!

I need to move the sales to the middle (as I described above) - which actually works very well for me, as it will enable me to display more data (specifically, the regional break-downs we can't currently see, as well as the annual summaries).

Anything else beyond this, that I'm missing?

For me I guess that's pretty much it. Like Green098 mentioned a way to see the first 10 weeks sales from specific regions would be cool to those games that released much early in one region before the rest of the world. Also a way to see the sales of the game each year since its released (A random example, that global annual section: http://i.imgur.com/Hhzpdch.png ). But you already mentioned that so I dunno why I am repeating...

Switch Friend Code: SW - 1286-0025-9138

TalonMan said:
Ok - I think I've already managed to get to the crux of what's missing and what needs to be done, which is GREAT!!!

I need to move the sales to the middle (as I described above) - which actually works very well for me, as it will enable me to display more data (specifically, the regional break-downs we can't currently see, as well as the annual summaries).

Anything else beyond this, that I'm missing?

Thank you for realizing this was an issue with the new design. I guess try to keep in mind that the very soul of this website is sales, so any re-designs in the future should focus around that for the most part.

The proposed ideas in this thread all encompass what I would've asked for as well. 

spurgeonryan said:
There really no sales data hardly at all. I feel it is great as it is. You kept the spirit of the old database with some tweaks here and there. When you add too much clutter you get Gamewise. No offense to Deano, but it's not too inviting.

Lets not have a database at all shall we like before 2009

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Around the Network
TalonMan said:
NintendoPie said:

Thank you for realizing this was an issue with the new design. I guess try to keep in mind that the very soul of this website is sales, so any re-designs in the future should focus around that for the most part.

The proposed ideas in this thread all encompass what I would've asked for as well. 

I've NEVER forgotten our purpose here - EVER!! This design that I've currently deployed, is the exact design we had here about six or seven years ago. I didn't make it up and pull it out of thin air. And at that time, nobody seemed to have an issue about the design or layout of the sales numbers that were being provided. Granted, the game pages that were here just prior to this latest resurrection did have much more detailed sales on them so I can see how moving back to this design, would look as though we've somehow lost our direction here - but I can assure you, that is just NOT the case.

The mission of this website is (and always will be) based in sales - there is no need to worry about that ever changing...

I can never tell if you are angry or what with the way you use caps, but all I have to say is that that's definitely good to hear.

Ideally, the best would be to have acess to all the data.I dont really think people really pay for the "Pro" version, so having a more complete database with more information would be in the best interest of the site.

Having said that, if thats not possible, at least match it as it was before.The yearly numbers plus the first 10 or 15 weeks, to know how well it performed in the first few months.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1