By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - New PM Setting

TalonMan said:
Bristow9091 said:
Will mods and admins be able to bypass this if a user has their preference set to nobody?

Yes!!

I should have pointed that out - but yes, Mods and DBAdmin will by-pass the check...

Ah that's good to know then, cheers... and like always, good work :P

Around the Network

But we can still harass people via PM, right?

BraLoD said:
But we can still harass people via PM, right?

One reason why this was implemented was because of the pervert sending people PMs I got some myself, though I can't block my account off to PMs because I'm a game DB admin, but hopefully it will at least stop others from getting those annoying messages.

oh,so the pervert was a mass attack,that's unfortunate but good to know.At least now i know it wasn't a personal thing.

Finale said:
oh,so the pervert was a mass attack,that's unfortunate but good to know.At least now i know it wasn't a personal thing.

Oh, he was sending it to you too?

Around the Network

If you are worried about new accounts harassing people than why not have a setting that doesn't allow new accounts to PM or have a 1,000 post limit or something. Only letting friends PM seems a little overkill

Tag:I'm not bias towards Nintendo. You just think that way (Admin note - it's "biased".  Not "bias")
(killeryoshis note - Who put that there ?)
Switch is 9th generation. Everyone else is playing on last gen systems!

Biggest pikmin fan on VGchartz I won from a voting poll
I am not a nerd. I am enthusiast.  EN-THU-SI-AST!
Do Not Click here or else I will call on the eye of shinning justice on you. 

killeryoshis said:
If you are worried about new accounts harassing people than why not have a setting that doesn't allow new accounts to PM or have a 1,000 post limit or something. Only letting friends PM seems a little overkill

Making an account have 1,000 posts before PMing seems overkill to me.

VGPolyglot said:
killeryoshis said:

Well it was just an idea. You could make it adjustable however you seem fit. 

Tag:I'm not bias towards Nintendo. You just think that way (Admin note - it's "biased".  Not "bias")
(killeryoshis note - Who put that there ?)
Switch is 9th generation. Everyone else is playing on last gen systems!

Biggest pikmin fan on VGchartz I won from a voting poll
I am not a nerd. I am enthusiast.  EN-THU-SI-AST!
Do Not Click here or else I will call on the eye of shinning justice on you. 

Finale said:

We're still slightly unsure I think, It certainly looks and acts like a bot (Quick speed too) but in some aspects it seems a bit too clever to be a bot (Using anonymous proxies, PMing only female avatar users, etc.) - Female avatars could be incorrect but thus far only female avatar users have reported the PMs.

It already got around one thing we used against it, PM privacy should stop it permanently for users who enable friends only but it could adapt and start posting on forums though honestly that just makes it easier and quicker for us moderators to ban it.

Talon has other things he'll implement in the future if it gets around this to hopefully slow it down much harder or potentially stop it altogether, I'm leaning towards it being a user and I think he's leaning towards it being a bot but this privacy option is something we should have regardless of the bot anyway.

killeryoshis said:
VGPolyglot said:

Well it was just an idea. You could make it adjustable however you seem fit. 

Well, it IS adjustable - you can certainly open your PM to everyone, if you so choose. Or, shut it down to only friends. Or, close it off completely...   ...that's the whole point.

I considered adding the "If xx number of posts" as Ryuu had suggested that same option. But I honestly felt with these filters in place, it was more than enough and would definitely seem a bit extreme.

More importantly (and the "long term" project that will REALLY settle this issue), is the implementation of an API to capture (and reject) those people or bots that are creating accounts with temporary emails - that's where we're are currently getting lost in the weeds. This was just a short-term (quick & dirty) fix, to put an end to the harassment that was going on. Ultimately, I want to kick users from creating these accounts in the first place - I just didn't want to stall this any longer than I had to...