By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - A Full, Concise Explanation On Bayonetta's Publishing Rights And Long Development.

Darwinianevolution said:

Again, the franchise is nowadays pretty tied to the Nintendo brand, and as long as Nintendo thinks that's a good thing, they'll keep funding the series. It's not a big spending and Nintendo gets a lot of attention for it. Sega is obviously fine with that, considering it's not a series that sells millions over millions, it's pretty niche, so having someone else deal with the risks is good for them. And Platinum will make any game they're asked for as long as they get the funding.

I know you're saying tied, as if they somehow own the brand in it's entirety, but Sega hasn't said anything about selling it all off (like 1 and everything for the future for example). 

If it was very niche, it wouldn't have gone anywhere else, but we've seen 1 being ported to all 4 systems, and 3 if you count last gen.

it'll be good to see others taking risks for the game and funding future titles for Sega. I'd love to see what MS could do with the brand in the future, on both PC and Xbox. 

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Around the Network
SpokenTruth said:
ryuzaki57 said:
It's been a long time since the last precise explanations for PG themselves. I wonder why Kamiya feels the need to go over the whole story again? Are they still under fire?

In any case, he reveals 2 tremendously important things :
- Unfinished PS & XB versions of Bayonetta 2 do exist as I was saying 6 years ago. It's unclear why Sega decided to cancel them but they definitively own the rights for those.
- Unlike for Bayonetta 2, Sega hasn't even considered the multiplatform option for 3. That would mean they still don't expect much from the IP and aren't ready to invest anything, sadly. Maybe MHW success will make them have a change of heart...

You are still incorrect.

"We create the basic framework of our games on the PC, so even though the hardware changes it doesn't influence the creation of our games"
- Atsushi Inaba, executive director at Platinum Games.

I might have missed Kamiya's complete list of tweets

https://www.dualshockers.com/bayonetta-3-switch-exclusive-hideki-kamiya/amp/

"When we started making Bayonetta 2, we initially received funds from Sega to develop the game for multiple platforms"

And that, kids, is why TOOL albums come out every 93 years.

SpokenTruth said:
ryuzaki57 said:

I might have missed Kamiya's complete list of tweets

https://www.dualshockers.com/bayonetta-3-switch-exclusive-hideki-kamiya/amp/

"When we started making Bayonetta 2, we initially received funds from Sega to develop the game for multiple platforms"

Yes, and Kamiya said they begin development for their games (list most developers do) on PC.  So unless Sega had a console we don't know about, the game started on PC.

You should "port" that wonderful collection of quotes you posted in the other thread over to this one. ;)

Chazore said:
curl-6 said:

Bayonetta 2 was announced as a Nintendo exclusive in 2012, and here we are in 2018 still having the same conversations we had back then. Surely it's long past time people reached the acceptance stage and moved on. 

If you want to play Bayonetta 2 and 3 that badly, just get a Switch.

We could say the same for just about any game, except it won't stop people on here or anywhere else, in asking for a port of a game to their system of choice.

There is always someone who says they'll wait for a PS4/X1/PC/Switch version. Always is, always will be.

Well there's nothing inherently wrong with asking for ports. But when it's been explained countless times over 5+ years why a game is and will remain an exclusive, continuing to ask for it is rather pointless.

curl-6 said: 

Well there's nothing inherently wrong with asking for ports. But when it's been explained countless times over 5+ years why a game is and will remain an exclusive, continuing to ask for it is rather pointless.

Well, when a dev explains or says no, then it means no. So I can imagine the same should stop after it has already been explained when it comes to other devs.

I mean we've already had this recently as well: https://www.destructoid.com/capcom-once-again-addresses-the-fan-demand-for-a-monster-hunter-world-switch-port-487671.phtml

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

Around the Network
Chazore said:
curl-6 said: 

Well, when a dev explains or says no, then it means no. So I can imagine the same should stop after it has already been explained when it comes to other devs.

I mean we've already had this recently as well: https://www.destructoid.com/capcom-once-again-addresses-the-fan-demand-for-a-monster-hunter-world-switch-port-487671.phtml

I think a new Monster Hunter made from the ground up for Switch would be preferable to a port of World. The difference between this and Bayo 2/3 though is that (a) MHW isn't published by Sony/MS, and (b) it's not been 5+ years with the same arguments being repeated ad nauseum. 

curl-6 said:

I think a new Monster Hunter made from the ground up for Switch would be preferable to a port of World. The difference between this and Bayo 2/3 though is that (a) MHW isn't published by Sony/MS, and (b) it's not been 5+ years with the same arguments being repeated ad nauseum. 

Yes I'm aware of the whole "but one company funded X game" details. I'm talking about people hounding a company in general for a port, not the details in finances. 

With how MHW is selling and it's popularity rising, I'd imagine future ones going forward will be developed for the other consoles, with a Switch port on the side. It is their fasted selling one atm.

Chazore said:
curl-6 said:

Yes I'm aware of the whole "but one company funded X game" details. I'm talking about people hounding a company in general for a port, not the details in finances. 

With how MHW is selling and it's popularity rising, I'd imagine future ones going forward will be developed for the other consoles, with a Switch port on the side. It is their fasted selling one atm.

It would make more sense I think to continue the method of having multiple "lines" of the franchise, like how there was Monster Hunter 1/2/3 on PS2/Wii but also Freedom Unite/Portable 3rd/etc on the PSP.

curl-6 said:

It would make more sense I think to continue the method of having multiple "lines" of the franchise, like how there was Monster Hunter 1/2/3 on PS2/Wii but also Freedom Unite/Portable 3rd/etc on the PSP.

That'll likely be up to Capcom to decide how it goes. 

Given the recent success of MHW, it's definitely not going to be limited to just one system anymore.

RolStoppable said:
This isn't only about publishing rights. It's about copyright as well, and that's a really crucial point. Nintendo sharing the copyright for Bayonetta 2 and 3 with Sega means that Nintendo has the final say over which platforms the games can appear on.

It seems to me that people need to realise that all it means is because of the circumstances surrounding their production two games , Bayonetta 2 and 3 are subject to joint control, not Bayonetta the IP itself, so new games in the series can be multi platform if the will is there from either Sega or other publishers to do so.

Last edited by mjk45 - on 14 February 2018

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot