By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Should I play SOTC or TLG first?

Currently  I've too big a backlog on ps4 to play either of these so called master pieces so inevitably I'll buy them in future on sale. But when the time comes which should i play first. SOTC or TLG? 

Around the Network

Why would you play The Last Guardian first? There's not any real reason I can think of. That one's not even considered a masterpiece by general consensus, not that it isn't, but if you're just going off recommendation than probably Shadow.

Kerotan said:

Currently  I've too big a backlog on ps4 to play either of these so called master pieces so inevitably I'll buy them in future on sale. But when the time comes which should i play first. SOTC or TLG? 

I'd go with SOTC. TLG, based on the bits I've seen on youtube, looks like it could be frustrating. I've never played either, but will almost certainly try SOTC first.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

Couldn't go wrong with either, I've only played The Last Guardian and it's one of the more special titles I've played

Buy and play TLG first because it's cheaper ($15 on the eu store). by the time you finished it, if SOTC price hasn't dropped just wait a bit.

Around the Network
Machina said:
TLG first, because it's not as good. I always save the best til last.

They're not really connected, besides some gameplay similarities and the 'Team Ico' atmosphere, so it doesn't matter which order you play them in.

May not be as good (I'm not finished it yet) but the damn game is already tugging away at my heartstrings. I can't believe how incredible this game looks for a game that started out on PS3. Holy hell the visuals are awe-inspiring even though I have already seen how amazing SotC looks on PS4. Somehow it doesn't take away from the TLG's majestic visuals. 

Also, playing this just confirms what I've always felt...everyone to me is over-exaggerating the bad controls or play mechanics. I'm still in the early stages but payed enough to see that while there are a few little hiccups there is NOTHING that warrants a score of less than 8. This is a 9 easily!

I can't wait to finish it yet but I'm still just in awe of the visuals, breathing them in.

StreaK said:
Machina said:
TLG first, because it's not as good. I always save the best til last.

They're not really connected, besides some gameplay similarities and the 'Team Ico' atmosphere, so it doesn't matter which order you play them in.

May not be as good (I'm not finished it yet) but the damn game is already tugging away at my heartstrings. I can't believe how incredible this game looks for a game that started out on PS3. Holy hell the visuals are awe-inspiring even though I have already seen how amazing SotC looks on PS4. Somehow it doesn't take away from the TLG's majestic visuals. 

Also, playing this just confirms what I've always felt...everyone to me is over-exaggerating the bad controls or play mechanics. I'm still in the early stages but payed enough to see that while there are a few little hiccups there is NOTHING that warrants a score of less than 8. This is a 9 easily!

I can't wait to finish it yet but I'm still just in awe of the visuals, breathing them in.

I actually felt the same way, all the way up to like 2/3 of the way through the game, then it started to really get old and exhausting. I was truly in love with the game for most of my playthrough, so it’s unfortunate the controls get in the way.

Regardless, it was an incredibly emotional and unique experience, and I would never change having played it. 

The games are only tangentially related, and should not be viewed as sequels to each other as much as they should be viewed as games that were cut from similar cloths. In terms of gameplay, in many ways the two are polar opposites of each other, but each are pretty easy to enjoy by their own merits.

I didn't have a frustrating time with the Last Guardian at all, but I treated Trico, and his inability to listen sometimes the same I treated my kid - with patience. And that's part of the point. All three of these Team Ico games feature gameplay elements that challenge video game expectations. Trico is supposed to ignore you on occasion and misinterpret what you ask of it. Go into it treating Trico like the quasi-wild animal he' represents rather than the AI you expect him to be, and you'll probably have a more enjoyable time.

Doesn't matter. There is no confirmed connection.

TLG first. Then SotC. Because otherwise, TLG would look bad after playing SotC. I havent played the updated version, but damn, I loved it in PS2. And try not to watch the way to kill the colossi. Try to figure it out for yourself, or youll be missing the 60% of the fun!

EDIT: I mean, try not to watch it on youtube, or on a guide.

"We all make choices, but in the end, our choices make us" - Andrew Ryan, Bioshock.