By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What Are Your Best Video Game Bargain Finds?

Azuren said:
CrazyGamer2017 said:
TIME...
All you have to do is wait a few months, a bit more a bit less depending on games and prices almost always go down. The last thing you wanna do is play video games on day one of their releases.
Video games publishers count on the fact that people are way too impatient and they tap on people's need to play right now. When you see how some video games can be played when their download is not even fully made, you realize how extremely impatient people are.

As a rule I NEVER pay a game more than half the full price but often I pay even less than that. I usually wait for games to reach a third of their day one price. So for a AAA 60 euros game I never pay more than 30 but more often than not I wait for the game to get to around 20 euros and that's when I go for it.

So I cannot give you a title of a specific game because ALL my games are bargains.

I just can't get behind this thought process at all. You say people are impatient, but I feel as though those same people would just refer to you as cheap.

Nothing wrong with being cheap in this context at least. I have a big backlog of games to play and often use that as the excuse not to buy games on release.  If its a title I really, really want I'll buy early but makes sense to wait especially if its a keeper. Some people buy a game on release, complete it and then sell it on quickly for a high percentage of the purchase price unfortunately I'm not a fast completer of games so that doesn't work for me. The industry does rely on people buying on release though to get the maximum return on development investment.

Around the Network

I've talked about it before but honestly one of the best bargains I ever got was from Gamestop. I turned in my 360 that was an original white model, refurbished before(i think even three times), and it had stopped reading discs. So it was pretty much pointless to keep it to me. Anyways I turned it in as well as the games I had with it, which I'm guessing were probably around 10(COD MW1-3, Gears 1-3, Halo Anniversary, 3, Reach, Red Dead Redemption). I ended up getting a completely new 320gb PS3 with the entire Uncharted trilogy free, which to me was mind blowing especially because my computer at the time didn't even have 320gb.

I guess when I think back on it that deal might not be all that. I think the bundle was probably a choice by Sony, but I doubt that PS3 was cheap and considering they no doubt had 30 other copies of those used games to sell, I can't imagine they were giving me much for the games either. I basically gave them a white brick and a few games and got back an entire new console with three games. Sadly, I only had the console for like a month.

I like how a lot of the games from Humble Bundle can be gotten for free if you just sign up - for the site. Not even the service. I've gotten that a few  times and got some good results (Shadow Warrior I think?). 

Also, finding any Nintendo game under 30$. Seriously, the fuck. Why does Selects take so long to come through. 

Back in about 08 there was a video game dealer on campus and she mentioned she had some Dreamcast games (a mix of bootleg and not) for sale. She pulled out a sack of maybe 30+ discs and said they were $5 each.

After I sifted through them for a bit, without even haggling, she said I could take the entire sack for $20. I took it instantly and my DC library quintupled in no time flat. It's still the best video game purchase I ever made.

Azuren said:

I just can't get behind this thought process at all. You say people are impatient, but I feel as though those same people would just refer to you as cheap.

Interesting, I suppose that technically speaking they are right... But from a practical point of view, I think the correct word defining me is "smart". If you see a car that sells for 20k and elsewhere the exact same car sells for 18k would you say that it's cheap to buy it at 18k cause I would say it's stupid to buy it at 20k when it's available for 18k.... I guess it's a matter of personal perspective. From mine, money is precious, I'm not a millionaire and I must manage it at the best of my interest, which is what companies do too by the way. So just as my financial situation is none of their concern, theirs is none of mine so while they are trying to make money I'm equally trying to save money.

So I'll say this: those people have a right to think I'm cheap but I have the same right to think they are stupid as far as managing their money goes. And not just a little stupid, I mean paying 60 bucks something they can get for 30 or even 20 bucks later on, I think the word stupid is not strong enough. And that's comparing 60 to 20 cause with DLC's, premium versions of some games etc, it's sometimes 80, 90 or 100 bucks on day one... Oh boy!

Farsala said:
In 2008 or 2009 or so I bought a 360 and 10 games for $50.

That's amazing. I'm trying to find cheap seventh gen consoles right now but most still seem to go for 100-120 euro second hand. Best I found so far was a 70 euro PS3 with two controllers and GTA 5 though I passed on it 'cause the pic is seriously dusty.

Send a Friend Request On PSN :P

Around the Network
Mr.Playstation said:
Farsala said:
In 2008 or 2009 or so I bought a 360 and 10 games for $50.

That's amazing. I'm trying to find cheap seventh gen consoles right now but most still seem to go for 100-120 euro second hand. Best I found so far was a 70 euro PS3 with two controllers and GTA 5 though I passed on it 'cause the pic is seriously dusty.

It was definitely worth at the time. But its not all rosey as it was a 1st gen 360 so it bricked within a few years. Those 7th gen consoles you are seeing are probably much higher quality than the one I got. My brother similarly got another 360 with a few games, controller for $100 and it lasted a bit longer than mine.