By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Star Wars: Battlefront 2 Underperforms, Microtransactions Coming Back

I bought a digital copy for one of the kids for Christmas but I still haven't played it yet .. he plays it about every day... hearing the paid loot boxes are coming back makes me glad I put a lock code on my profile on the PS4.

Around the Network

Nine million copies sold aand it still underperformed. Hom much did they spend in advertising? How much had they promised to the shareholders?

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

They said that when they took away the microtransactions in the first place, they were just waiting for the controversy to die down.

I'd be very interested to hear the demographics for the game. What kind of customer bought it, what kind of customer plays it? Are parents buying for their kids who don't care about MTs? And are the 1 million neckbeards on Reddit the only ones who didn't buy it?

I'm looking at those numbers and they're really an amazing accomplishment.

And this is why EA ultimately doesn't care how much you piss and moan about how evil they are.....at the end of the day, you still give them your money.

Around the Network

For comparison's sake, Monster Hunter World shipped 5 million copies in it's first 3 days alone. Battlefront 2 had a 31 percent drop compared to Battlefront 1. That is not good for an IP as large as Star Wars.

fielding88 said:
I'd be very interested to hear the demographics for the game. What kind of customer bought it, what kind of customer plays it? Are parents buying for their kids who don't care about MTs? And are the 1 million neckbeards on Reddit the only ones who didn't buy it?

I'm looking at those numbers and they're really an amazing accomplishment.

anecdotal but: 

BF1 I bought for me and bought a season pass. I played it less and less, by the time the 4th round of DLC came out I had quit playing it.

I also bought a second copy (used) since Josh left the first one out and it got scratched.

BF2 I bought digitally for Josh but as I said earlier I have yet to play it. Josh does not have a PS+ subscription, but can play online since the PS4 he is on is my primary.  To the best of my knowledge he can not purchase loot boxes.

The game was kind of like the Call of Duty franchise for me.  I bought three of those and that was enough to last me.  Two of which I played multi-player the third one i bought just to be able to play Zombies online with a friend but we never got around to it. I still don't think I've even booted the game up.

spurgeonryan said:
Darwinianevolution said:
Nine million copies sold aand it still underperformed. Hom much did they spend in advertising? How much had they promised to the shareholders?

I think they wanted 12 million. There is more data at the link.

I think that is a little out of control. Maybe because of all the licences they have to pay for the Star Wars license?

They wanted 10m so they only sold 1 million less than they wanted.

Angelus said:
And this is why EA ultimately doesn't care how much you piss and moan about how evil they are.....at the end of the day, you still give them your money.

How many of those millions were bought at half price? They lost a mountain of revenue for sure. 

Aren't shipped and sold different? It says they shipped that many, but makes no mention of how many actually sold. Considering all the unbought copies sitting on store shelves at a discount, I'm curious how much it sold for full price.