By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What's your stance on usage of game/strategy guides while playing?

Strategy guides: for or against?

Love 'em. 6 19.35%

Hate 'em! 3 9.68%

Use 'em sometimes! 22 70.97%

Total:31

IF I use one I usually complete the main story, do as much as I can, find collectibles, side quests etc then once I've done that crack out the guide and clean up

Around the Network

Completely agree with you on that

TruckOSaurus said:
I'll use guides after I'm done with the main story or for a second playthrough. Although, I'll admit I did use one to get to right answers to some classroom questions in Persona 5.

Same here:

"which Roman Emperor participated in the Olympics?"

"easy I know that one"

*obscure Japanese government related question*

"yeahhh... google"

Xen said:
TruckOSaurus said:
I'll use guides after I'm done with the main story or for a second playthrough. Although, I'll admit I did use one to get to right answers to some classroom questions in Persona 5.

Same here:

"easy I know that one"

"yeahhh... google"

Just press the touchpad, it will give you the answer.

"Just for comparison Uncharted 4 was 20x bigger than Splatoon 2. This shows the huge difference between Sony's first-party games and Nintendo's first-party games."

Ultrashroomz said:
Xen said:

Same here:

"easy I know that one"

"yeahhh... google"

Just press the touchpad, it will give you the answer.

I think I noticed that by the very end of the game

Around the Network

Typically never touch one unless on a future playthrough, or end game 100%

It ruins the experience using one. You get spoiled, you lose the sense of accomplishment for figuring out or doing something yourself. The game starts to feel like to do list, ect.

Only times I ever check one out during first playthrough is when I know how to do something, but the game mechanics seem to be shitty. Such as in BOTW, there is one trial that to get a chest you need to hit a ball with a hammer across water to a hole. After basically wasting all of my weapons attempting it, I reloaded and looked online to find out it 5 hits with hammer and 1 quick hit with sword, or X number of hits with sword or whatever the number was. I used the guide bcause the game had taken the enjoyment out of that portion for me.

But take a tales of game for example. Those games annoy me in their guides. When on my new game+'s for those games I am always amazed at what ridiculous things I need to do to 100% the game. It's always some BS like running back to some remote area to talk to some random person after doing one quest but before another. So many missable things that there is no way someone would get on their own unless they rescour the entire world after each completed mission incase some npc has a quick quest.

I would rather just watch some 100% playthrough on Youtube than play a game with a walkthrough.

PAPERGUIDES are beautiful... well i did not really own one but those FINAL FANTASY guides were beautiful... wished i could've afford them...

whenever i get stuck i just youtube nowadays...

except that piano in silent hill... that shit is stupid

I feel it can ruin the experience, but for games I want to fully finish in one run, I will still use it

Really depends on the game

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

I use trueachievements.com guides for collectibles & achievements. For strategy games I might look for gameplay tips.

I like using them to get 100 % and when I am unable to progress further. Otherwise I avoid them to not spoiler myself.