By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The downfall of The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Youtube clickbait strikes again)

Mar1217 said:

Some of you might go into assumptions right away like : "Wait, what ?! Zelda BOTW is one of the big success right now" So is the video a critic about the game itself and it's flaws ?

No.

It's actually about the Nintendo ambassador program, it's problems and how it "affects" their games on social platform like Youtube or Twitch ...

Ladies and gentlemen, misleading clickbait on Youtube at it's finest.

And yeah, it has been done by Downward Thrust.

Why not call it the 'Downfall' of Nintendo? Seems more clickbaity, and he can use Mario O to help make his 'point'.

The Democratic Nintendo fan....is that a paradox? I'm fond of one of the more conservative companies in the industry, but I vote Liberally and view myself that way 90% of the time?

Around the Network

Not really an unusual tactic. I've seen a few like "Super Mario Odyssey Is No Masterpiece" that was just trying to get people to click, and there's another guy (BeatEmUps) who, while I generally like his videos, uses caps to indicate "sarcasm" in his titles that only those who know him are aware is sarcasm before clicking. A couple of examples:

Nintendo Lamo | Because SCREW Videogames, Here's Some Cardboard:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQ5q92e2HQI&t=9s
In this video he basically talks about how cool he thinks the Labo is for kids and generally just praises it.

The Reason I Am BOYCOTTING The Nintendo Switch
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJsNHH-w_HQ
In this one he simply jokes that he's boycotting it because it has too many great games coming out and he's broke lol

These kind of tactics are pretty normal... For the most part it doesn't really bother me as they've been forced to get quite creative to get anyone to find them, and with the aforementioned BeatEmUps it was actually how I first came across him in the first place, and he's an entertaining fella. What matters to me, then, is whether the videos are actually good and entertaining (in which case name it whatever you like), or if the clickbait is followed by lazy bullshit, in which case I make a note never to click that guy's videos again.

Johnw1104 said:
Not really an unusual tactic. I've seen a few like "Super Mario Odyssey Is No Masterpiece" that was just trying to get people to click, and there's another guy (BeatEmUps) who, while I generally like his videos, uses caps to indicate "sarcasm" in his titles that only those who know him are aware is sarcasm before clicking. A couple of examples:

In this video he basically talks about how cool he thinks the Labo is for kids and generally just praises it.

In this one he simply jokes that he's boycotting it because it has too many great games coming out and he's broke lol

These kind of tactics are pretty normal... For the most part it doesn't really bother me as they've been forced to get quite creative to get anyone to find them, and with the aforementioned BeatEmUps it was actually how I first came across him in the first place, and he's an entertaining fella. What matters to me, then, is whether the videos are actually good and entertaining (in which case name it whatever you like), or if the clickbait is followed by lazy bullshit, in which case I make a note never to click that guy's videos again.

Try image based clickbait: there is a guy who makes decent AMVS I follow who has a habit of doing that, and beyond that he tends to swap up titles and names a lot. It gets a bit annoying. 

The Democratic Nintendo fan....is that a paradox? I'm fond of one of the more conservative companies in the industry, but I vote Liberally and view myself that way 90% of the time?

KrspaceT said:
Johnw1104 said:

Try image based clickbait: there is a guy who makes decent AMVS I follow who has a habit of doing that, and beyond that he tends to swap up titles and names a lot. It gets a bit annoying. 

Yeah it does. I try to be patient with them if they've been otherwise delivering quality stuff though, as apparently it has become exceedingly difficult for them to do Youtube full time as compared to a couple of years ago. Only the largest channels are generally able to get enough from Patreon to make it work, so it does seem like people are more desperate for clicks than they used to be.

AlfredoTurkey said:
Youtube. A platform for talentless people to pretend they matter. I avoid it like the plague.

Not entirely, true, albeit true for 90% of the channels. Just blah blah blah, memes, and bitching - nothing useful.

There is good stuff in there too though, like Larry Bundy Jr.

Don't give the video any more views, OP.

Around the Network

Well if it's clickbait, then don't give them clicks D:

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

Speaking of clickbait, I saw on the page of recommended videos one from Jim Sterling that was "Game of the year 2017" or whatever he titled his game of the year video.

I of course didn't watch it cause I don't like him and don't want to support him in any way. But what was his thumbnail of? Well him obviously as they seem to all be, but the only video game character/game in the pic was of Zelda. (or Link to be exact) And we all know that would not be his game of the year.

He has made like half a dozen clickbait Zelda videos all capitalizing on his review of the game.

irstupid said:

I of course didn't watch it cause I don't like him and don't want to support him in any way. But what was his thumbnail of? Well him obviously as they seem to all be, but the only video game character/game in the pic was of Zelda. (or Link to be exact) And we all know that would not be his game of the year.

He has made like half a dozen clickbait Zelda videos all capitalizing on his review of the game.

But the only reason he can use Zelda as clickbait for his titles is because people got overly offended and now latch on to any mention of Zelda he makes ... it is literally ironically the fault of people like you that he's allowed to do that. A video with Zelda items on the cover wouldn't be considered clickbait without the context of "wow he's so controversial!!!". 

Of course, almost all youtube thumbnails are made for the purpose of you clicking them. 

This is just another one of those things. The sticks to beat Nintendo with to get views. And it shows. Look at the amount of Nintendo haters flocking to those videos. It's the classic contrarian example: I'm am right and the overwhelming majority is wrong. I am the truth speaker in a crowd of liars. People who want to hear that, will go to that because it validates it for them. And of course it immediately turns into a "Nintendo fanboys can't handle it" situation, thus increasing even more controversy and views. It's insidious.

Now that isn't to say, that they can't have those "opinions", but they sure as hell like to drown out people who genuinely have counterarguments. Opinions can be challenged. But then, the fanboys of said contrarian will come after you for attacking their hero. The person that makes them feel intelligent and informed. If you bring up the massive critical acclaim from the majority of outlets, it turns into condescension of said professionals (who do it for a living) and conspiracies. It's a vicious cycle.

My general opinions on these people is: Ignore them. It's a free market place. And the market place is fair. BotW and Mario Odyssey are masterpieces in everyone else's eyes except for the usual suspects, nothing will change that.

mZuzek said:
It is true, though. Breath of the Wild does suffer a downfall in quality the longer it goes on, which isn't to say it ever gets bad, but it surely never matches the sheer excitement of those first 20 hours or so.

Zelda, at least the 3d ones, aren't meant to be non stop excitement and action. Zelda is more art than it is game, and art is something you get lost in and mesmerized by its beauty. BotW is a game where you could just walk around, listen to the wind, and be aesthetically pleased by the beauty of the world they built.