By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Games you played COMPLETELY WRONG?

Final Fantasy 8 as a kid- Used summons the whole game, never upgraded equipment or drained spells. Totally gimped myself on disk 4.

Chrono Cross as a kid- Made it all the way to the Isle of the Damned as Lynx before upgrading any weapons.

Final Fantasy IX- Never used a single weapon long enough to retain their abilities.

Turok 1 and 2- Played exclusivly using cheat codes.

Oh and here is some bonus content...Metal Gear Solid, first game in the franchise I played. Put my friend to sleep when he was staying over because I wanted to "beat the first mission" before we switched to a multiplayer game.

Funny thing is, aside from FF8, I beat all of those games playing it wrong. Most of these are JRPGs...hard to believe I almost specialize in them now lol.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

Around the Network

@Shiken, You just reminded me. The first time I played Chrono Trigger. It was actually my first rpg. I kept discovering new weapons and armor. I think it wasn't until my second playthrough that I actually equipped anything!

d21lewis said:

@Shiken, You just reminded me. The first time I played Chrono Trigger. It was actually my first rpg. I kept discovering new weapons and armor. I think it wasn't until my second playthrough that I actually equipped anything!

I had a Sega Genisis during that era.  It was not until I got a playstation for Chrono Cross because the comercial was so flashy that I decided to beg my mom to spend 100 plus dollars for a Chrono Trigger copy and strategy guide to play on my friends SNES that I was borrowing.

I actually played CT correctly the first time though.  Glad to know I was not the only one to make my way through our first RPGs likethat lol.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

Whenever I played Rainbow Six 3 as a kid, I always organized a full team of Rainbows, only to kill them all with one specific soldier, then completing the mission solo with said soldier. I could never figure out why I used to this.

While I guess it's a legitimate strategy, I never beat The End in MGS3 without the day-skipping trick when I was a younglin. It was not until MGS3 HD that I could redeem myself.

I used to play RTS games "wrong" when I was young. Instead of building an army as quickly as possible to win I liked to stick around in my base just building stuff to make everything look pretty. And when the computer inevitably attacks with full force, I wasn't ready.

I had a hard time playing The Battle for middle Earth story mode back then because of this. Now, I known exactly how to play and can beat the game in hard more with no problem whatsoever. 😂

Around the Network

The final boss in Unreal Tournament 2004 is broken as hell, it has more life than you, it's faster and stronger, almost never misses and it somehow always knows where you are in the map. However, its AI has a problem with a certain part of the arena, in which it can't find you. So I just killed it once, hid in that corner and waited 20 minutes for the match to be over, winning by default.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

In dead space, I never used that thing that slow down time to anything other than pass some obstacles. I finished the game that way. It was kinda infuriating i had so much of those that i would never use, but was always lacking amunition and oxygen. Later, i saw a gameplay where someone used that item on enemies too, making way easier to take down the tougher enemies of the game. But you know what? I enjoyed the game more that way, it was way more tense.

Also had no idea you could ster in fzero(or mario kart) with the shoulder buttons. Never finished because of it.

In top gear, a racing game, my friend and i would win races and in the end, upgrade our cars parts to keep up with the competition. However, at some point of the game, Our cars were running out of gas before the end of the race, and we keep getting game over after game over, no idea why. Then, we realize our mistake: of all mparts we were upgrading, we never upgrade our gearbox, because we had no idea what was and saw no improvment in spending money upgrading it (we also didn't speak english, so we were clueless on what that word even meant). After finally investing on that, we stoped having a gas problem.

I'm sure am forggeting another one, but thats all i can remeber out of the top of my head.

Just remenbered: in zelda wind waker, i had no idea what bait was for. So i got as far as the triforce quest without barely any maps!

"Hardware design isn’t about making the most powerful thing you can.
Today most hardware design is left to other companies, but when you make hardware without taking into account the needs of the eventual software developers, you end up with bloated hardware full of pointless excess. From the outset one must consider design from both a hardware and software perspective."

Gunpei Yoko

malistix1985 said:
When I was a kid I purchased the Playstation 1 with Final Fantasy 7 and there was a part where you had a snake in a swamp and you had to get a chocobo to cross the swamp.

I didn't understand you had to get a Chocobo so instead I trained for several months to beat the snake in the swamp. Everything after this was extremely easy because I was way to high level :$

Several months!?

Hahahahahaha... Omg. This is runner up. Really gave me a laugh.

When I was a little kid, I played Pokémon Gold. I arrived to the Elite Four with a level 50 Kadabra. Nothing but that. I don't remember what happened to my starter. Anyway... The thing is that I got my ass kicked over and over. But instead of capturing more Pokémon and train them... I kept trying to beat the thing with just my Kadabra. I reached a point where my Kadabra was like level 80... but no matter what I did, Lance and his Dragonites kept killing my poor Pokémon. One day I read somewhere that Kadabra could evolve if you traded it with a friend. I did that. And that day, I beat the Elite Four with just a level 84 Alakazam and a bunch of trash Pokémon. Just as I planned xD

I played mystical ninja goemon without memory card from start every day for some years propably. god I love this game best theme ever https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GvfFIfbEHHI