By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Games you played COMPLETELY WRONG?

drbunnig said:
mysteryman said:
Me and my cousin used to see who could outrun the cops the longest in GTA (original). It was the best way to share the game when family was visiting, as it never took long between turns and it kept everyone engaged.

Years later we were talking about the game and all the missions at a family function. Another cousin, who had owned the game himself, piped up with “what missions?”

He had watched us playing and thought that was the whole game.

I used to do that too. Put in cheats to unlock all the levels and such, then just cause all sorts of carnage. Or the opposite; trying to drive/act normal and see how long it takes you to crack and turn to a life of crime. A few times me and a friend would pick a place on the map (usually really far away) and then drive there, coming up with a narrative as to why we were going to that specific place on the way. When we got there, we'd pass the controller over to the other person and repeat.

Also, when I was younger, with the early Doom games, I'd pick ultra violence, put on a load of cheats (invincibility, all weapons, clipping) and just walk around killing all the monsters. I had no interest in trying to complete the game properly.

Int GTA3, I completed 3 missions and killed 30,000 people.

Around the Network
GOWTLOZ said:
bigtakilla said:

I'll give you the camera. How are the controls archaic in the least? Spamming one button for a practically endless combo I certainly will say is worse. Once apon a time it was about timing what attack when to max the style meter, now it's about spanning a single button mashing as fast as you can. That is playing a hack and slash completely wrong. As far as level design of the first game, sure. But you do know it was made as a Resident Evil game, was canned then repurposed to the grandfather of all hack and slash games.

DmC wasn't about spamming one button but using a combination of three weapons to build your style meter. You had a normal weapon, an angelic weapon and a demonic weapon all seamlessly integrated with each other by the shoulder buttons. That was required to build your style meter. There were timed combos as well.

You could pull off some neat moves with all these weapons. As their first DmC game that was not a bad effort at all. There are also all those other ways they improved like I said camera, platforming and levels that made the game more playable. Also there were no three of the same boss fights like in Devil May Cry all these things add up to make DmC a more modern game that does combat well while also getting a lot of other important aspects of the game right.

But essentially you didn't have to. The style meter went down so slow you could just spam one button with no real penalty. Getting an occasional hit, no real penalty. The style gauge barely went down, and off you go stringing together endless combos at the hit of any button you wish. The angel and demon powers helped sure, but there was no real skill or trick to using these powers. 

Having a bigger budget definitely helped the new one as far as not having to cut corners with bosses. That's about all DmC had to give.

Xen said:
MGS2 as a kid, killing everything. Stealth who, stealth what?

Wait, you're saying that going Rambo is not the way of playing MSG?

KingCherry said:
Mega Man, I had no idea you were supposed to tactically use weapons against certain bosses, the Rock, Paper, Scissors element... I just played and played with my Pea Shooter...

I was thinking of telling the same thing before I read your comment. After some time, I started using the different weapons, but I just learned that the bosses have weakness against some time of weapon waaaay too late.

All racing sim games: break on the curves? What is that? Just keep speeding and crash into another car to turn.

All Rockstar games: doing missions? Why? When I can just set the world on fire.

Need for Speed Most Wanted: races? blacklist? No, the cool thing was being chase by the cops and crash as many cars as I could.

The Sims: I think everyone already made that one, but when I got tired of some sim, I just send him to the pool and sell the stairs.