By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - How do the visuals on the Nintendo Switch compare to those of the Xbox 360 & PS3?

The Nintendo Switch hardware is...

A big leap over 7th gen 71 40.11%

A minor leap over 7th gen 72 40.68%

About the same as 7th gen 24 13.56%

Actually WORSE than last gen 10 5.65%

Total:177
Amnesia said:

I have voted for "A minor leap over 7th gen"

But I really believe that the NS is today under exploited. It is useless to compare a port from PS3/XBOX360, obviously the optimisation for the switch will be superficial and won't show what the console of Nintendo could do if the game had been made from ground and optimized for the machine. Until now so far, we have seen only 3 heavy and really exclusive games on the NS which can be used for fair graphical comparison :

- Super Mario Odysee
- Xenoblade C 2
- ARMS

Just don't forget that the NS had 3 GB DDR4 of ram, it is far above the 7th generation.
The NS could potentially display almost like the first games of the XBOX1 and PS4, and these 2 consoles are also today under exploited imo.

Metroid Prime 4 and Bayonetta 3 might be a stunning surprise for many people who underestimate the Switch. I hope it will be.

Switch has 4GB of Ram. 3.2 avail for games.

Around the Network
Pemalite said:
quickrick said:

Doom is SUB hd, and a very unstable 30fps. its looks last gen on switch. anyway i would say switch is lastgen but at 1080p so far, but 1080p is a big difference.

It does look last gen in certain aspects on the Switch.
In others it's a big step up, especially the GPU accelerated particle effects which have great lighting, shadowing and physics.

d21lewis said:

Technically the WiiU was but there was something holding it back. A design flaw or something. I watched a video on YouTube a couple of weeks ago called "Just how powerful was the Wii U" and it had a couple of weaknesses despite all of it's strengths.

The WiiU didn't have a "design flaw" per-say.
Nintendo and AMD knew full well what was happening on that SoC and went with it, despite the various caveats... And despite that, it's still a fairly capable chip considering it's transistor and TDP budget, all things considered.

d21lewis said:

With the PS2, Sony threw out some hypothetical figures that it could never and didn't ever meet. It made the GameCube look weaker in comparison when Nintendo gave it real world numbers. The GameCube was the more powerful hardware, though.

Happens every gen. People used to go mental over "bits". - Then it was Polygon counts, then it was flops.
Whatever number (Theoretical or otherwise) people can grab to justify their purchase decision and shine it in the best possible light is what people will do.

Anyone who thought the Gamecube was inferior to the Playstation 2 simply didn't have a clue what they were talking about.

d21lewis said:

My point is, the Wii U was more powerful on paper and maybe even had a couple of games that showed its power (though I'm drawing a blank right now. Captain Toad and MarioKart 8, maybe?). In practice, nothing actually looked better than Rise of the Tomb Raider, Titanfall, God of War 3, Killzone 3, etc. And that could all very well come down to art style. After all, the first WiiU games were ports of some of the best  looking PS360 games. Things SHOULD have gotten a lot better

The other issue is that the WiiU wasn't exactly a massive success, it's marketshare remained small, meaning that developers and publishers were less likely to invest in technology to shine the WiiU in the best possible light.

Nintendo has also been conservative on the fidelity front for a few generations now, which is the same approach Blizzard Entertainment takes... And thus would prefer to push Art to give their games a great presentation.

OTBWY said:

You cherrypick DF (predictable) videos/articles for your own liking. It dips a few times during intense battles, but it's mostly stable 30fps. The resolution is dynamic and does not run at 600p all the time at all. Besides, this is the method they use to determine resolution https://youtu.be/3ra-P3gH7Dg Something they are getting sued for too.

Now answer my question, can the PS3/360 run it. Simple yes or no.

Digital Foundry is still the best source of information we have... Sure, they will stuff up, they are only human after-all... And they will get called out on that when it happens.
Anandtech for instance is an amazing outlet for tech information... Probably one of the better places on the internet. Yet I have corrected their writers on a ton of different occasions on some of their articles, forcing them to make rewrites.

OTBWY said:

But like I said, they could make a Doom 4 PS3/360 version, but that would be almost a different game technically, since it would mean a different/older engine than id Tech 6.

You would be surprised how far back you can scale a game if you set your mind to it.
I mean... It will look like ass.

For example... When testing out/working on shaders for Oblivion and Fallout 3, I was running those games on PC hardware that was inferior to the Original Xbox in some areas. - There was no lighting, shadowing, textures were blurry, no distant land, resolution was low and I was pushing 20fps if I was lucky.

But it was still achievable.

curl-6 said:

Switch is more capable than PS3 and 360 by a considerable margin when docked, and a small but still noticeable margin when undocked. Specs don't lie.

The games pretty much speak for themselves. Even games like Doom on Switch portable still gives any 7th gen game a run for it's money.

GOWTLOZ said:

`

xD

Just kidding but no Doom on Switch looks worse than God of War 3 on PS3 and also runs at a lower resolution and framerate.

I still understand that Switch is more powerful and that really shows what an impressive achievement God of War 3 is but its not the best the machine has to offer. God of War: Ascension, Killzone 3 look better.

As for your point about focusing on graphics Switch might never get a game like that which pushes the platforms to its limits and takes full advantage of its hardware. Xenoblade 2 could have been but it looks awful in portable mode. So we should compare with what we have rather than what would be if someone magically got a huge budget for a Switch game.

There is allot less. I mean allot less baked details on the Switch version of Doom than in God of War 3 on the PS3.

Name me a game on Playstation 3/Xbox 360 with particles that have their own individual lighting and shadowing... Those consoles couldn't handle a ton of dynamic details, they just didn't have the memory or performance.

Now imagine if Doom used a ton of baked details and took full advantage of the Switch's FP16 capabilities... I think this discussion would be very different.

I think people tend to confuse the visual presentation of a game with actual graphics far to often these days.

quickrick said:

its more work but can be done, there methods to get around the ram problem, it of course more time consuming but mario isn't anywhere as complex as GTAV, or anywhere as big, GTAV of course also has way more going on, and more detailed.  

GTA5 was built first and foremost as a 7th gen console game.
It had new effects and improved assets tacked on later.

quickrick said:

its not 50%, and not close to it. it's main advantage is the ram, GPU is slightly more modern with around the same flop count, and cpu, is weaker from what i understand.

Flops aren't important and are not an accurate representation of a piece of silicons complete capabilities.

CPU is an out-of-order design with a fairly short pipeline if I recall correctly... Which means it can do more work per megahertz than the Xbox 360.

zorg1000 said:

So overall would it be safe to say Switch is in the ballpark of halfway between 7th & 8th gen Sony/MS consoles?

Yes. And we knew it sat between the 7th and 8th gen as soon as we knew it was Tegra powered.
Once they revealed the lower clocks, that never changed either.

SegataSanshiro said:

I honestly don't think BoTW physics and grass would be possible on PS3.

It is possible.
Physics was one of the stronger points of the Playstation 3 actually.

SegataSanshiro said:

GPU wise PS3 cannot do it. Wii U used a GPGPU and often did work itself. Fast Racing Neo doesn't use the Wii U CPU at all. .Wii U was more powerful overall than PS3.

Wut

I know you replied to a lot of people but I just wanted to thank you for the insightful and non condescending reply to me. I'm not an especially tech savvy guy so sometimes I get destroyed in these debates. I just like what I like. Anyway, I appreciate it.

quickrick said:
curl-6 said:

Going from 3GB of RAM to less than 500 MB requires downgrades, big downgrades, there's just no way around that. A x6 difference is too big to be surmounted without drastic cutbacks. At the end of the day, GTA 5 runs on a 2005 GPU and less than 500MB of RAM, while Mario Odyssey is built for a 2015 GPU and 3GB of RAM.

Do we really know how much ram mario uses? not every game is gonna  max the system specs, unless it's very ambitious technically, and mario doesn't really look it, zelda to me on wiiu is technically more ambitious then mario IMO, there are games on ps4, and xb1 that only probably  need 1GB, when they have 8gb, we just don't know, if i were a betting man, i would bet mario can run on 360/ps3 at 600p, with a great port job.

There's a ton more to technical ambition than fidelity...

Kerotan said:
curl-6 said:

That's a supersampled bullshot. Actual GOW3 on PS3 does not look this good.

If that came out today as a big budget Switch exclusive I'd say it looked muddy and sub-par.

That's because it's a vita screenshot. I always maintained Swifch graphically was just the successor to the Vita and this proves it. 

SegataSanshiro said:
That Killzone pic is rough looking. Yeesh. Aged pretty poorly.

It's on the vita. The Switch is basically a next gen vita in terms of graphics. 

It's the successor to the 3DS and Wii U.

I fail to see what the Vita has to do with this. 

"The strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must" - Thoukydides

I don't think that there have been any notable graphical improvements in the least decade, in general.

Around the Network
Flilix said:
I don't think that there have been any notable graphical improvements in the least decade, in general.

Resident Evil 4 (gamecube) (2005) :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqYs9qRqQDI

Resident Evil 7 (ps4pro) (2017) :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBaCVDTqhXY

Resident Evil 4 (wii):

Resident Evil 7 (ps4):

Last edited by JRPGfan - on 27 January 2018

Alkibiádēs said:
Kerotan said:

That's because it's a vita screenshot. I always maintained Swifch graphically was just the successor to the Vita and this proves it. 

It's on the vita. The Switch is basically a next gen vita in terms of graphics. 

I said in terms of graphics it's like the successor to the Vita. Rather than the ps3/360.

Flilix said:

NFS Undercover (2007)

NFS Payback (2017)

Then there's MK Wii vs MK8

But you can compare anything really, Uncharted vs Uncharted 4. Halo 3 vs Halo 5. GTA 4 vs GTA 5. There has definitely been "notable graphical improvements" everywhere.

Kerotan said:
Alkibiádēs said:

I said in terms of graphics it's like the successor to the Vita. Rather than the ps3/360.

Most Vita games look bad, there's only a few exceptions like Killzone. Very few developers got the best out of the Vita because most big budget games skipped the platform. 

The Switch is much more comparable to the PS3/360/Wii U.

"The strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must" - Thoukydides

LipeJJ said:
xl-klaudkil said:
Which switch game looks better then god of war 3?

Yea,nun

So you're saying that nothing on Switch looks better than this?

I mean, it was pretty for the time, but I can list at least 10 games that look better on Switch. lol

Name me those ten. I can't even think of ten graphically impressive Switch games let alone 10 games better looking than God of War 3.

OTBWY said:
SegataSanshiro said:

You really are cherry picking here. AA or not the game looks better than GOW3 on a technical level, textures lighting, shaders etc. Get over it. Stop trying to instigate a fanboy war. I'm not buying into it. Switch and Wii U is more capable machines than PS3. Get over it stop quoting me with your bullshit.

Hear hear.

Also, Dialgamarine, the PS3 would die if it tried to run BotW. No problem? Really? LOL

BOTW runs on Wii U so it would easily run on PS3. PS3 has a better CPU than Wii U and is more capable of handling physics than the Wii U and it has plenty of games that are more impressive in terms of physics.