By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why do so many people claim they have tried VR if they actually havnt?

habam said:
irstupid said:

Just stop. I was not trying to argue that motion aiming or IR were better or worse than VR, I was just pointing out that my opinion on something being amazing does not mean that others have to find it that way too.

I find motion aiming to be a necessity and can not go back to dual sticks, just as you probably find that VR is a necessity and makes flat tv gaming sucky. But there are people out there that think otherwise. I can argue all day until my face is blue, but there will be people that will say how motion assisted aiming sucks and you will find youtube videos easy of let players turning it off the second they start a game.

You will find the same. Argue all day if you want about VR, there are some that just don't like it as it is right now.

Well I watched many videos about Farpoint, read reviews on amazon had friends playing the game. There was NEVER anybody that didnt said how much better the aiming actually is. That is not the case with motion controlls. Maybe it will be 99/100, but the big majortiy will definitly enjoy VR far more.

do the research for yourself: https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=farpoint+reaction

If you find anybody that will say "meh, stick aiming is better" after playing farpoint, tell me and I will admit that you were right ;)

You sound like someone proving something isn't a hot item or sold out or hard to find,  because their best buy had some in stock.

Around the Network

Here's my take on VR:

First off, I've only tried Google Cardboard-type VR tech demos. Those demos were cool but nothing extraordinary. I obviously know that's not the same as a PSVR and Oculus Rift and I'm not going to pretend I can declare VR to be only midly interesting based on my limited experience.

One title I would really like to try out in VR is Resident Evil VII, it has been built with VR in mind and jump scare must be very effective when the thing that jumps out is right in your face but that's where I feel I can't agree with people saying "VR is a revolution in gaming that will change everything". My opinion is that, like with motion controls before, VR is the superior way to experience certain types of games, mainly first-person shooters or first-person games in general.

Personally, I don't play many FPS apart from Overwatch and even then Overwatch is so hectic I don't think I'd want to play it in VR, jumping around as Winston or blinking everywhere with Tracer might be a bit too much. Looking at other games I'm playing right now or have played recently, very few would benefit from the VR experience : 

Persona 5 - JRPG
Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Rise of the Tomb Raider - Third person adventure game
Super Mario Odyssey - 3D platformer
Street Fighter V, Super Smash Bros - Fighters
Path of Exile, Diablo III - Dungeon crawlers

So my take is that if you're really into FPS games, it must feel like the second coming of Christ but for my gaming tastes, I can't see it being worth $400 for the limited titles where I'd truly enjoy it.

Last edited by TruckOSaurus - on 24 January 2018

Signature goes here!

I didn't know talking with one guy = so many people xD

habam said:
irstupid said:

Just stop. I was not trying to argue that motion aiming or IR were better or worse than VR, I was just pointing out that my opinion on something being amazing does not mean that others have to find it that way too.

I find motion aiming to be a necessity and can not go back to dual sticks, just as you probably find that VR is a necessity and makes flat tv gaming sucky. But there are people out there that think otherwise. I can argue all day until my face is blue, but there will be people that will say how motion assisted aiming sucks and you will find youtube videos easy of let players turning it off the second they start a game.

You will find the same. Argue all day if you want about VR, there are some that just don't like it as it is right now.

Well I watched many videos about Farpoint, read reviews on amazon had friends playing the game. There was NEVER anybody that didnt said how much better the aiming actually is. That is not the case with motion controlls. Maybe it will be 99/100, but the big majortiy will definitly enjoy VR far more.

do the research for yourself: https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=farpoint+reaction

If you find anybody that will say "meh, stick aiming is better" after playing farpoint, tell me and I will admit that you were right ;)

Farpoint sales: 300K.

It appears that while you can find plenty of videos of people being impressed with the game, as it turns out, they're not actually willing to pay for it.

Last edited by potato_hamster - on 24 January 2018

TruckOSaurus said:

Here's my take on VR:

First off, I've only tried Google Cardboard-type VR tech demos. Those demos were cool but nothing extraordinary. I obviously know that's not the same as a PSVR and Oculus Rift and I'm not going to pretend I can declare VR to be only midly interesting based on my limited experience.

One title I would really like to try out in VR is Resident Evil VII, it has been built with VR in mind and jump scare must be very effective when the thing that jumps out is right in your face but that's where I feel I can't agree with people saying "VR is a revolution in gaming that will change everything". My opinion is that, like with motion controls before, VR is the superior way to experience certain types of games, mainly first-person shooters or first-person games in general.

Personally, I don't play many FPS apart from Overwatch and even then Overwatch is so hectic I don't think I'd want to play it in VR, jumping around as Winston or blinking everywhere with Tracer might be a bit too much. Looking at other games I'm playing right now or have played recently, very few would benefit from the VR experience : 

Persona 5 - JRPG
Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Rise of the Tomb Raider - Third person adventure game

So my take is that if you're really into FPS games, it must feel like the second coming of Christ but for my gaming tastes, I can't see it being worth $400 for the limited titles where I'd truly enjoy it.

1. Great. Cardboard gives some ideas about VR but like you already said, just isnt the full package. Power is not there and no positional tracking, but still.

2. Your games:

Havnt played P5, dont know how gameplay is

Games like Zelda can easily work on VR, especially when just made in first person (skyrim VR proofs that)

Mario odyssey? If you get a PSVR; check out this (just a tech demo but really awesome):

Im not a huge fighting gan. Tekken 7 has a VR mode, I cant say it the game benefit from vr or not. Here is the VR mode: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8HH8cVBVtg

Diablo: Well there is moss, Maybe not exactly the same but kind of similar:

3. PSVR is currently 265 on amazon including the necessay camera and GT Sports, not 400 ;)

Around the Network
habam said:
TruckOSaurus said:

Here's my take on VR:

Persona 5 - JRPG

3. PSVR is currently 265 on amazon including the necessay camera and GT Sports, not 400 ;)

You're assuming he has a PS4.

potato_hamster said:
habam said:

You're assuming he has a PS4.

I do have a regular PS4. I was just using a number from the thread but $265 is still too much for basically one game I want to play with VR.

Signature goes here!

habam said:
TruckOSaurus said:

Here's my take on VR:

Persona 5 - JRPG

1. Great. Cardboard gives some ideas about VR but like you already said, just isnt the full package. Power is not there and no positional tracking, but still.

2. Your games:

Havnt played P5, dont know how gameplay is

Games like Zelda can easily work on VR, especially when just made in first person (skyrim VR proofs that)

Mario odyssey? If you get a PSVR; check out this (just a tech demo but really awesome):

Im not a huge fighting gan. Tekken 7 has a VR mode, I cant say it the game benefit from vr or not. Here is the VR mode: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8HH8cVBVtg

Diablo: Well there is moss, Maybe not exactly the same but kind of similar:

Just go buy an Xbox or a Switch.  Better yet, a Nintendo 2DS.

SegataSanshiro said:
Errorist76 said:

No, we already know you had bought it when close to no games were available yet. It’s a bit ironic, considering your nickname.

Said it many times on this site including this topic. I'm old and I've seen VR since the begining in the 80s. I went to VR Cafes in the mid 90s I tried PSVR at Best Buy. So just because I don't like it I'm lying? lol ok then.

Wasn’t even talking to you, unless nogamez is your alt-account. But seriously, if you honestly think VR from the past has anything to do with good VR today, I can’t help you.

TruckOSaurus said:

Here's my take on VR:

Persona 5 - JRPG

I actually think Zelda, Mario just like Mario Kart would benefit greatly from VR. Bound also works in third person and it’s amazing.