By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - NPD: Playstation 4 was the Best Selling Console of 2017 in the U.S.

How is that possible? It seems like Switch won most of its months since release.

Around the Network
Poweranimals said:
How is that possible? It seems like Switch won most of its months since release.

Yeah, but it launched in March.  And I think that PS4's margin of Victory in the months where it won was bigger than Switch's on average.

newwil7l said:
Dallinor said:

It has a 3m lead over it's main competitor which has had a myriad of problems since launch from marketing, to pricing and software.

I'd hardly consider it dominating consider all the cards landed in their favour. In fact it's a region Sony definitely need to push the system harder in and create more appeal for their product. Stronger competition from Xbox (and Nintendo) next time around will most likely see them losing their lead.

This. 

MS literally handed them the market on a silver platter and the PS4 isn't even that far ahead of the XBO.

They did not hand them the market on a silver platter.  They lost a percentage of gaming enthusiasts and early adopters, certainly, but much of the core Xbox consumer base barely knew of the controversy and probably cared very little.  Where I live is still Xbox territory and many of the initial Xbox One elements people were critical of online would likely be met with a shrug or a blank look among the more casual fans.

expected given the Switch didn't come out until March. Two months is just too much of a lead, that and that Black Friday deal the PS4 had probably cemented it. Imagine it was a fairly close total tally though considering the late release of the Switch.

2018 could be super tight, although most likely the PS4 would have to stay at least year on year with its hardware sales to beat the Switch. 

Poweranimals said:

the Switch has won the majority of months since it was released in March (6 against 3 I think), but two months of no sales versus PS4 most likely dominating Jan/Feb is a big difference... that and the PS4 had a giant November due to the price cut at $200. I imagine it wasn't a big difference in the total. 

unless one console has an unusually giant November or December, the odds are in 2018 you'll know who sold the most as soon as the year ends via the number of monthly NPD wins. 

Around the Network
Poweranimals said:

there were a few months switch won by 10k or so but there was a month ( i think it was june) that ps4 beat the switch by 200k. 

mountaindewslave said:
Poweranimals said:

the Switch has won the majority of months since it was released in March (6 against 3 I think), but two months of no sales versus PS4 most likely dominating Jan/Feb is a big difference... that and the PS4 had a giant November due to the price cut at $200. I imagine it wasn't a big difference in the total. 

unless one console has an unusually giant November or December, the odds are in 2018 you'll know who sold the most as soon as the year ends via the number of monthly NPD wins. 

if we take away jan and feb, ps4 still won. most of the months were very close between ps4 and switch but there was a month ps4 won by 200k so that took away all the months that switch won

quickrick said:
newwil7l said:

This. 

MS literally handed them the market on a silver platter and the PS4 isn't even that far ahead of the XBO.

sony gave them a market with ps3, and there mistakes took a long time to correct, unlike xbone, which fixed them right away.

Yer but lets be honest the MS mistakes were bigger. It turned me of XBOX ONE and I will never get one.

DRM (even though they pulled it)

Killer Instinct released as episodes insead of a full game to milk money.

Halo collection was missing data on the physical release that needed a 20gb download to complete.

thats just three early examples.

PS3 the only real mistake was the high price. It wasn't every general public friendly. 

Cobretti2 said:
quickrick said:

sony gave them a market with ps3, and there mistakes took a long time to correct, unlike xbone, which fixed them right away.

Yer but lets be honest the MS mistakes were bigger. It turned me of XBOX ONE and I will never get one.

Halo collection was missing data on the physical release that needed a 20gb download to complete.

PS3 the only real mistake was the high price. It wasn't every general public friendly. 

to be fair, Xbox had a much stronger online service as well last gen, especially in the first few years.

Xbox had actually tried to get some Japanese exclusives (which made me go and buy a 360 at the time)

in the first few years of the PS3 there were very few top tier exclusives worth owning

sixaxis... no more words needed, right?

exotic architecture making the multiplatform games a lot harder to optimize than on the 360...

I could go on, but I guess I made my point already.

Cobretti2 said:
quickrick said:

much higher price, hardware that wasn't really more powerful since most multiplats ran much better on xbox, especially early on, and shit controller. to me ps3 had way more mistakes, it was saved by its brand power.

Last edited by quickrick - on 20 January 2018