By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why is the Switch still not getting big games from 3rd parties?

A lot of companies already said there making more games. But they won’t be ready till 2019. They did not announce which games though. And they may not be AAA games. Nobody knows. Really eager to see future announcements.

Around the Network
Megaoverlord12 said:

Again, it's mostly Western pubs that aren't particularly impressed with the Switch, and even among Japanese pubs, there are many major games that don't seem to be coming to Switch any time soon (Final Fantasy XV, FFVII Remake, Kingdom Hearts III, Monster Hunter World, and Resident Evil VII are just some of the biggest examples that come to mind). I do expect more third party support from this point going forward, and I have seen Japanese third parties expressing satisfaction (at least Bandai Namco, Capcom, and NIS, haven't seen Square talk about successful their games have been on Switch), but I find it telling that almost every game from them so far have been late ports, several from PS3 (Xenoverse 2, Street Fighter II, and Dragon Quest Builders being the biggest examples). 

I did mention that most AAA games started development before specs on the Switch were revealed, and thus they couldn't have ports ready. Again I do expect more third party ports in the coming years, mostly from Japanese pubs along with Ubi and Bethesda (assuming Doom and Wolfenstein II meets expectations anyway, something we don't yet know).

Apologies, however, I need to interject here. Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2 did not release on the PS3 or Xbox 360. 

ResidentToxy said:
Megaoverlord12 said:

Again, it's mostly Western pubs that aren't particularly impressed with the Switch, and even among Japanese pubs, there are many major games that don't seem to be coming to Switch any time soon (Final Fantasy XV, FFVII Remake, Kingdom Hearts III, Monster Hunter World, and Resident Evil VII are just some of the biggest examples that come to mind). I do expect more third party support from this point going forward, and I have seen Japanese third parties expressing satisfaction (at least Bandai Namco, Capcom, and NIS, haven't seen Square talk about successful their games have been on Switch), but I find it telling that almost every game from them so far have been late ports, several from PS3 (Xenoverse 2, Street Fighter II, and Dragon Quest Builders being the biggest examples). 

I did mention that most AAA games started development before specs on the Switch were revealed, and thus they couldn't have ports ready. Again I do expect more third party ports in the coming years, mostly from Japanese pubs along with Ubi and Bethesda (assuming Doom and Wolfenstein II meets expectations anyway, something we don't yet know).

Apologies, however, I need to interject here. Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2 did not release on the PS3 or Xbox 360. 

My apologies, I must have been thinking about the original.

Gamertag, PlayStation Network ID, and Nintendo Network ID: Look at username. Huzzah for originality.  3DS Friend Code: 4038-6546-0886

Currently own PS3, Xbox, Xbox 360, Xbox One, GameCube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, and 3DS

NATO said:
KLXVER said:
Because it takes more than a few months to port a game? Miyamoto said it takes about 1 year.

What does Miyamoto know about porting games, name a game he's ported to a non-nintendo system.

Actually he said less than one year, and point that he need personaly to port some game to know how much time porting lasts is ridiculous, because he is high Nintendo executive and of course he have information how much time is needed for porting Switch games (Nintendo games and 3rd party games), espacily beeacuse we have quite Wii U ports on Switch.

Miyamotoo said:
NATO said:

What does Miyamoto know about porting games, name a game he's ported to a non-nintendo system.

Actually he said less than one year, and point that he need personaly to port some game to know how much time porting lasts is ridiculous, because he is high Nintendo executive and of course he have information how much time is needed for porting Switch games (Nintendo games and 3rd party games), espacily beeacuse we have quite Wii U ports on Switch.

And the time taken to port Nintendo games to another system?

Come on, surely you get the joke.

Around the Network
John2290 said:
You mean games like Fifa, Ass creed, Cod and the like? Well, I think the userbase for Nintendo games just isn't into these types of games, I'd also assume there is a huge overlap of PS4 and switch gamers and companies know both these things, Perhaps there is more too it, maybe companies saw how badly these types of multiplats did on wii or perhaps Nintendo doesn't want to be seen as the console that doesn't sell the AAA big hitters. Maybe it's a combination of all those things and more.

I think there is a userbase for those types of games. But only if they are done right.

Having a game ported from the Xbox/Playstation with downgraded visuals and performance on a Nintendo platform isn't going to be making anyone salivate.

Rather... If a game pushes the Nintendo hardware, is genuinely excellent with great visual design, then gamers will eat it up.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

its to weak to run them without heavy rework. In terms of performance, especially in handheld mode, its basically a PS3/Xbox 360 and not a PS4/Xbox One. One of the reasons many people wished nintendo would have used the new Tegra X2 chip instead the 2year old outdated X1.

Cerebralbore101 said:
I spit my drink out reading the thread title. Most Japanese 3rd party devs are already supporting the system with ports. Bethesda is the only western 3rd party dev worth a damn anymore, and they're giving Switch good support.

Not every game can be reasonably ported to Switch because of graphics limitations. Other than that 3rd party devs love the system.

Yeah CDProjectRed, Rockstar Games, Rocksteady, Valve, Bioware, Blizzard and so on really arnt worth anything, sure :D

Because the AAA games (Witcher 3, Shadow of Mordor, Tomb Raider, Monster Hunter World) you want barely run in 30fps on a PS4. So porting those to the Switch takes lots of effort. More than a simple resolution drop for sure.

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

habam said:
Cerebralbore101 said:
I spit my drink out reading the thread title. Most Japanese 3rd party devs are already supporting the system with ports. Bethesda is the only western 3rd party dev worth a damn anymore, and they're giving Switch good support.

Not every game can be reasonably ported to Switch because of graphics limitations. Other than that 3rd party devs love the system.

Yeah CDProjectRed, Rockstar Games, Rocksteady, Valve, Bioware, Blizzard and so on really arnt worth anything, sure :D

CDP only has a single game this gen. Rockstar is big for sure though. Rocksteady is owned by WB and their games are MTS infested trash now. Valve doesn't make games anymore. Bioware is owned by EA, and their last game sucked. Blizzard merged with Activision years ago and the vast majority of their games are on PC only. For notable games, they just have Overwatch for consoles and that's it. 

Compare that to Bethesda witch has put out... Wolfenstein, ESO, Fallout 4, Doom, Prey, Evil Within 2, Wolfenstein 2, and Dishonored 2. That's just their current gen stuff. They also do remasters of their older games.