By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why is the Switch still not getting big games from 3rd parties?

KLXVER said:
Because it takes more than a few months to port a game? Miyamoto said it takes about 1 year.

What does Miyamoto know about porting games, name a game he's ported to a non-nintendo system.

Around the Network

What I'm wondering is how long is going to take for publishers to bring JRPGs from the PS3 era (that would fit right in power-wise) and the A-AA JRPGs that come to the Vita-PS4 (which are small games as they are and sell mostly in Japan). As it is, there aren't that many JRPGs as I thought it would be.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

What people also rarely look at is where the Switch sells well.

At this point in time roughly 30% of all Switches sold are in Japan. How "well" do Western Games in Japan? You'd be looking at a term that's worse than just poor. If 30% of your potential install base is a market you can't sell games to, why take the risk?

Good Switch sales in Japan have to be looked carefully at. Japanese developers now developing for switch isn't necessarily good for the western switch owners. Look at how many exclusive 3DS games there are in Japan. It's the same story as above. Western games don't sell in Japan, most japanese games don't sell well in the west.

Further, this also applies to Nintendo first party games: Compare Zelda and Splatoon sells between Japan and West. Splatoon sold 50% of it's WW sells in Japan, while Zelda only did 15%. You are splitting your resources between two vastly different markets.

NATO said:
KLXVER said:
Because it takes more than a few months to port a game? Miyamoto said it takes about 1 year.

What does Miyamoto know about porting games, name a game he's ported to a non-nintendo system.

lol That's just what he said. I would think he know how the Switch works. Maybe he was misquoted, I don't know.

KLXVER said:
NATO said:

lol That's just what he said. I would think he know how the Switch works. Maybe he was misquoted, I don't know.

But depending on the game development, it is about right. So games that are done on well known and used middle ware engines like Unreal or Unity might be able to be done in under a year due to being able to scale things, but if a game is built from the scratch with a custom engine for PS4 or Xbox One , it will probably take some time port since the power and options available in a XBONE or PS4 are not going to be in the Switch.

Around the Network

I think the issue is largely two fold:

1. There are worries about risk. Coming off of the Wii U period, I think many third-parties were very cautious. This is particularly the case with Western third-parties, many whom did not really experience much success on the vastly more successful 3DS (though many of these devs didn't really develop much for this system to begin with). Even now, while the Switch has done very well in its first year, we still do not know if the momentum will continue. If and until the installbase becomes viable (30-50 million) I can see big publishers being more reserved.

2. Certain games will simply not come over because of the power descriptency between Switch and its stationary counterparts. As a portable gamer, I personally love the portable approach Nintendo took with this system, but I knew the trade off here would be power. More graphically intensive and cinematic AAA multiplatform titles are unlikely to make it over to the Switch.

A lot of companies already said there making more games. But they won’t be ready till 2019. They did not announce which games though. And they may not be AAA games. Nobody knows. Really eager to see future announcements.

Megaoverlord12 said:

Again, it's mostly Western pubs that aren't particularly impressed with the Switch, and even among Japanese pubs, there are many major games that don't seem to be coming to Switch any time soon (Final Fantasy XV, FFVII Remake, Kingdom Hearts III, Monster Hunter World, and Resident Evil VII are just some of the biggest examples that come to mind). I do expect more third party support from this point going forward, and I have seen Japanese third parties expressing satisfaction (at least Bandai Namco, Capcom, and NIS, haven't seen Square talk about successful their games have been on Switch), but I find it telling that almost every game from them so far have been late ports, several from PS3 (Xenoverse 2, Street Fighter II, and Dragon Quest Builders being the biggest examples). 

I did mention that most AAA games started development before specs on the Switch were revealed, and thus they couldn't have ports ready. Again I do expect more third party ports in the coming years, mostly from Japanese pubs along with Ubi and Bethesda (assuming Doom and Wolfenstein II meets expectations anyway, something we don't yet know).

Apologies, however, I need to interject here. Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2 did not release on the PS3 or Xbox 360. 

ResidentToxy said:
Megaoverlord12 said:

Again, it's mostly Western pubs that aren't particularly impressed with the Switch, and even among Japanese pubs, there are many major games that don't seem to be coming to Switch any time soon (Final Fantasy XV, FFVII Remake, Kingdom Hearts III, Monster Hunter World, and Resident Evil VII are just some of the biggest examples that come to mind). I do expect more third party support from this point going forward, and I have seen Japanese third parties expressing satisfaction (at least Bandai Namco, Capcom, and NIS, haven't seen Square talk about successful their games have been on Switch), but I find it telling that almost every game from them so far have been late ports, several from PS3 (Xenoverse 2, Street Fighter II, and Dragon Quest Builders being the biggest examples). 

I did mention that most AAA games started development before specs on the Switch were revealed, and thus they couldn't have ports ready. Again I do expect more third party ports in the coming years, mostly from Japanese pubs along with Ubi and Bethesda (assuming Doom and Wolfenstein II meets expectations anyway, something we don't yet know).

Apologies, however, I need to interject here. Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2 did not release on the PS3 or Xbox 360. 

My apologies, I must have been thinking about the original.

Gamertag, PlayStation Network ID, and Nintendo Network ID: Look at username. Huzzah for originality.  3DS Friend Code: 4038-6546-0886

Currently own PS3, Xbox, Xbox 360, Xbox One, GameCube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, and 3DS

NATO said:
KLXVER said:

Actually he said less than one year, and point that he need personaly to port some game to know how much time porting lasts is ridiculous, because he is high Nintendo executive and of course he have information how much time is needed for porting Switch games (Nintendo games and 3rd party games), espacily beeacuse we have quite Wii U ports on Switch.