By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why is the Switch still not getting big games from 3rd parties?

I dunno, I consider stuff like Doom, Skyrim, Dark Souls, Rocket League, Payday 2 to be a pretty solid lineup so far.

There will be more, these things take time. Plus I'm sure like 90% of them just assumed the thing was "dead on arrival" so it'll take some time to scramble to create even ports, let alone new content for the hardware.

"We hold these truths to be self-evident - all men and women created by the, go-you know.. you know the thing!" - Joe Biden

Around the Network

I figure not every publisher feels like making devs fit a size 12 foot into a size 6 shoe. Switch will see some lighter weight ports that's for sure, but stuff like Doom will be few and far between. Everything else the system can handle should be ported ASAP though.

RJ_Sizzle said:
I figure not every publisher feels like making devs fit a size 12 foot into a size 6 shoe. Switch will see some lighter weight ports that's for sure, but stuff like Doom will be few and far between. Everything else the system can handle should be ported ASAP though.

I don't see why the bulk of EA titles couldn't make it to the Switch considering how low Frostbite can be taken. (Xbox 360 and Playstation 3.)

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Megaoverlord12 said:
Miyamotoo said:

You need to take in account huge difference in user base between Switch and XB1/PS4 when you talk about sales of those games. Obviously you didn't pay attention on Switch news, actually most 3rd partys (2K, Ubisoft, Namco Bandai, SQ, Capcom...) said they are satisfied with sales of their games on Switch and that they will announce more games for Switch, few days ago we had Nintendo France said that EA is very satisfied with Fifa sales and that they said they will bring more games, also few days ago Bandai Namco said that Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2 for Switch sold more than 500k already and that actually passed Steam numbers, so I wouldn't pay attention too much on VGChartz numbers. I am pretty sure that Bethesda this month when they have quarter results will also say they are satisfied about with sales, especially because Skyrim is actually best selling multiplatform game on Switch in US in 2017.

For the record, multiplatform Switch game dont need to sale same like on XB1/PS4 in order that 3rd party is satisfied with sales, hardly that any big party have expectations they will have similar numbers on Switch, but they can make quite profit even with lower sales, and all pointing that 3rd party games are selling good and much better on Switch than on few previous Nintendo platforms, for instance it seems that Fifa on Switch fastest selling Fifa compared to any other Nintendo platform (it even sold better in Japan than Fifa on PS4 despite huge difrence in instal base). And point is simple, games on Switch have extra value beacuse they offer full home console and full handheld play, for instance you can bet some people will buy Switch only to play games like Skyrim, Doom, Dark Souls...in full handheld mode, and that wasnt case with any past platform, and thats why 3rd partys are now selling better on Switch compared to previous Nintendo platforms, and 3rd parties also seeing that.

I actually think that most 3rd parties decided to support Switch with much more games only last few months after they realized that Switch is seling great and that 3rd party games are selling good on it, and porting of course can take time, espacily developing brand new game. So we will have much more 3rd party announcements how time pass in any case.

I mentioned that it wasn't a completely fair comparison due to install base. I'll attest to forgetting about EA, Take Two, and Namco's comments on FIFA, 2K, and Dragon Ball. I'm also aware that games don't need to sell the same on Switch to be profitable. You wanted evidence that third parties don't generally sell as well, and I provided it to the best of my ability. I do think that major third party content will continue to come to the console and a faster pace now that publishers are sure it's successful and that it's specs are well known, I just believe that nobody should think that the Switch's third party content will match up against PS4/XB1, at least not third party multiplat support.

First those evidences are not accurate, like I wrote most of 3rd party said they are satisfied with sales on Switch, second even those sales are good if know Switch has much lower install base than PS4/XB1 and some of those games are less time in sale on Switch. I totoaly agree that Switch in any case want have 3rd party support on level of PS4/XB1 but can have quite good for Nintendo platform and regardles PS4/XB1.

KLXVER said:
Because it takes more than a few months to port a game? Miyamoto said it takes about 1 year.

What does Miyamoto know about porting games, name a game he's ported to a non-nintendo system.

Around the Network

What I'm wondering is how long is going to take for publishers to bring JRPGs from the PS3 era (that would fit right in power-wise) and the A-AA JRPGs that come to the Vita-PS4 (which are small games as they are and sell mostly in Japan). As it is, there aren't that many JRPGs as I thought it would be.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

What people also rarely look at is where the Switch sells well.

At this point in time roughly 30% of all Switches sold are in Japan. How "well" do Western Games in Japan? You'd be looking at a term that's worse than just poor. If 30% of your potential install base is a market you can't sell games to, why take the risk?

Good Switch sales in Japan have to be looked carefully at. Japanese developers now developing for switch isn't necessarily good for the western switch owners. Look at how many exclusive 3DS games there are in Japan. It's the same story as above. Western games don't sell in Japan, most japanese games don't sell well in the west.

Further, this also applies to Nintendo first party games: Compare Zelda and Splatoon sells between Japan and West. Splatoon sold 50% of it's WW sells in Japan, while Zelda only did 15%. You are splitting your resources between two vastly different markets.

NATO said:
KLXVER said:
Because it takes more than a few months to port a game? Miyamoto said it takes about 1 year.

What does Miyamoto know about porting games, name a game he's ported to a non-nintendo system.

lol That's just what he said. I would think he know how the Switch works. Maybe he was misquoted, I don't know.

KLXVER said:
NATO said:

lol That's just what he said. I would think he know how the Switch works. Maybe he was misquoted, I don't know.

But depending on the game development, it is about right. So games that are done on well known and used middle ware engines like Unreal or Unity might be able to be done in under a year due to being able to scale things, but if a game is built from the scratch with a custom engine for PS4 or Xbox One , it will probably take some time port since the power and options available in a XBONE or PS4 are not going to be in the Switch.

I think the issue is largely two fold:

1. There are worries about risk. Coming off of the Wii U period, I think many third-parties were very cautious. This is particularly the case with Western third-parties, many whom did not really experience much success on the vastly more successful 3DS (though many of these devs didn't really develop much for this system to begin with). Even now, while the Switch has done very well in its first year, we still do not know if the momentum will continue. If and until the installbase becomes viable (30-50 million) I can see big publishers being more reserved.

2. Certain games will simply not come over because of the power descriptency between Switch and its stationary counterparts. As a portable gamer, I personally love the portable approach Nintendo took with this system, but I knew the trade off here would be power. More graphically intensive and cinematic AAA multiplatform titles are unlikely to make it over to the Switch.