By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Swedish PM Mulls Using Army To End "No-Go Zones"

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-sweden-violence/swedish-pm-does-not-rule-out-use-of-army-to-end-gang-violence-idUSKBN1F629L

"Sweden will do whatever it takes, including sending in the army, to end a wave of gang violence that has seen a string of deadly shootings, Prime Minister Stefan Lofven said in Wednesday."

"“It would not be my first option to bring in the military, but I am prepared to do whatever is necessary to make sure that serious, organized crime is stamped out,” Lofven told news agency TT."

"The government has promised police an extra 7.1 billion crowns ($880 million) through 2020, toughened laws on gun crimes and made it easier for the police to monitor private phone calls and emails, among other measures.

But a report by the Swedish National Council for Crime Prevention shows increasing numbers of Swedes worried about crime with confidence falling in the police and the judicial system.

“People are shot to death in pizza restaurants, people are killed by hand grenades they find on the street,” Sweden Democrat leader Jimmie Akesson said in parliament on Wednesday.

"
-------
Sorry if formatting is a little whack, is there no button in the editor to remove pasted formatting? Or reset highlighted text to default format?

Around the Network
SamuelRSmith said:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-sweden-violence/swedish-pm-does-not-rule-out-use-of-army-to-end-gang-violence-idUSKBN1F629L

"Sweden will do whatever it takes, including sending in the army, to end a wave of gang violence that has seen a string of deadly shootings, Prime Minister Stefan Lofven said in Wednesday."

"“It would not be my first option to bring in the military, but I am prepared to do whatever is necessary to make sure that serious, organized crime is stamped out,” Lofven told news agency TT."

"The government has promised police an extra 7.1 billion crowns ($880 million) through 2020, toughened laws on gun crimes and made it easier for the police to monitor private phone calls and emails, among other measures.

But a report by the Swedish National Council for Crime Prevention shows increasing numbers of Swedes worried about crime with confidence falling in the police and the judicial system.

“People are shot to death in pizza restaurants, people are killed by hand grenades they find on the street,” Sweden Democrat leader Jimmie Akesson said in parliament on Wednesday.

"
-------
Sorry if formatting is a little whack, is there no button in the editor to remove pasted formatting? Or reset highlighted text to default format?

There is a "remove formatting" button but apparently it only works on half of the text.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

The Uncomfortable Truth About Swedish Anti-Semitism

51 percent of anti-Semitic incidents in Sweden were attributed to Muslim extremists. Only 5 percent were carried out by right-wing extremists; 25 percent were perpetrated by left-wing extremists.

https://archive.is/gQgn8#selection-2165.0-2169.208

Antifaintifada coming to Sweden

numberwang said:

The Uncomfortable Truth About Swedish Anti-Semitism

51 percent of anti-Semitic incidents in Sweden were attributed to Muslim extremists. Only 5 percent were carried out by right-wing extremists; 25 percent were perpetrated by left-wing extremists.

https://archive.is/gQgn8#selection-2165.0-2169.208

Antifaintifada coming to Sweden

Is she proposing to increase antisemitic attacks by white people because muslims are stealing right wing extremist's jobs?

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Well, why not? We have a lack of police officers and we do have an army (a small one but it does exist), might as well make use of them.

It's a bit extreme but if gang-related violence continues to increase you'll want to put an end to that by any means necessary. I personally don't see it happening and I feel like this is more of an attempt at reassuring that our government takes gang-criminality seriously and will do what it takes to stop it. This year is election year and gang-related violence will be an important topic.

The thread title is clickbait though and makes it sound like we're now going to wage war against these so-called "no-go zones".

Around the Network

Deadly string shootings in Sweden? Don't know much about Swedish laws, but I assume its illegal to own a gun?

vivster said:
SamuelRSmith said:

"
-------

There is a "remove formatting" button but apparently it only works on half of the text.

Yeah, the half that talks about how Sweden is one of the safest countries in the world and that the shootings are mostly battles between gangs over drugs, protection rackets and prostitution.

TheLegendaryWolf said:
Deadly string shootings in Sweden? Don't know much about Swedish laws, but I assume its illegal to own a gun?

It is. Illegal guns is an increasing problem here, which is related to the problem with increased gang activity.

SamuelRSmith said:

"
-------

Stop using made up words. No-go zones does not exist and is a term from the extreme right popularized by Fox News that later retracted it since it turned out to be completely made up. And of course you left out that the article clarified that murder rates in Sweden is relatively low internationally speaking. But at least change the title of the thread since the term "no-go" is factually incorrect. 

forest-spirit said:
TheLegendaryWolf said:

It is. Illegal guns is an increasing problem here, which is related to the problem with increased gang activity.

That's unfortunate, if gang activity doesn't get squashed it can get out of hand fast.